Monday 19 June 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 




"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.



Being able to celebrate another Father's Day with my dad. We are so blessed to still have him with us.  We went to my sister's for supper. Cindy and I picked up a rare treat of KFC for supper and Cindy had made those TikTok cinnamon rolls for dessert. We were all stuffed to the eyeballs. The best part, as always, was getting to spend the time together with each other as a family. I love my father very much. I was not so fond of him when I was a teenager. I thought he was too strict and he wouldn't let me do all the things that other kids were doing. As an adult I came to appreciate that and to know it was done out of his love for us. He was protecting us in the best way he knew how. It is a true privilege to be able to spend these later years of his life together. I wish I could do more for him.

Having said that, I call him every morning at a certain time and this morning, so far, I have been unable to get an answer.  A bit concerned, but in the past there has always been a valid reason. I will try again later.


 


All of the fires in the province are now out or at least under control.  We have had a lot of rain over the past few weeks, so that is good. We had quite a few thundery showers this weekend. Saturday night there was a lot of thunder. It doesn't seem to bother the cats too much that I can see. They seem to know they are safe inside.

Dad just called. His phone was unplugged. He is okay. Whew!




I spent most of Saturday morning with my sister.  I love spending time with her.  First we went to the Superstore to pick up Dad's groceries. He doesn't need much.  Cindy and I also picked up ours.  Then we went to the mall to Giant Tiger. I got myself two cheap t-shirts for the summer. Then we went to Sobey's, and picked up a few bits and then we went to my dad's to drop off his stuff. Cindy always makes his bed, I do up his few dishes.  Cindy changes the litter and empties his compost and garbage. I sit and chat with him while she putters. I pet his cat.  She is very pretty. Her name is Princess.  

Afterwards we came back here and Cindy cut my cat's nails for me.  I am no good at holding them down to do it. They sit for her fairly quietly, no problem. She has always been the animal whisperer.  I can remember when we were kids, she was the one fixing sick field mice and broken bird's wings.  She has a very tender heart and it shows.  Animals know it.

Its nothing exciting, these small and simple activities.  But they are filled with love.


 

Glenna appears to be doing much better.  That is good. We just never know when something like this is going to happen as we get older.  I am so grateful that it was not a really bad stroke, but what seems to have been a mild one. Scary even so.




I got the sweetest email from the family that took our Mitzie in on Saturday. It was filled with photos and a wee video of her on her Birthday. Look at the sparkly pink bow tie, and the hat and that bib.  She is clearly much beloved and well cared for.  It was so kind of them to send me these photos.  I always cry a bit, both from missing her, and then from the joy of being able to see her.  I am grateful that she is loved as much as she clearly is. God is good.

She is an old lady now at 13.  I am sure she is slowing down a lot.  


 


Those cinnamon rolls that Cindy made were fabulous.  They were like mine but with the extra step of adding some melted butter and cinnamon over top as well as the cream. Oh boy. This made a caramel cinnamon sauce that was quite moreish.  Not something you would want to eat really often, but incredibly delicious for sure!  Being able to share these things with family is a great blessing!



Whenever I go out and then come home, Nutmeg is sitting in the window waiting for me. As soon as he sees the car he jumps down and goes to the other side of the door that opens into my garage.  I know he is anticipating me walking through it. Cinnamon will also be there waiting.  They like their welcome home scratch behind the ears. They must miss me when I am away. It is nice to be missed.


 


The ants are all but gone now. That is good. I was really bothered by them. I think those Terro traps are the thing that did them in once and for all. Next year I will get them first, rather than wasting my money on other things!  They may cost more, but they are just the ticket and do the job well.



Nobody can ask for more.  I know I am blessed beyond measure.   And I am grateful to be a person who knows this.  I cannot imagine what it must be like to always be seeking more. To be content is priceless. I am rich beyond measure.




I am grateful to be a woman of faith. I do not know where I would be without my faith in God. It has carried me  my whole life, and especially over these past few years when I have been greatly tested. Life is difficult for everyone. It passes in waves, we go up and we go down. It is a balance of the good and the bad. Nobody is immune. Some seem to suffer more than others. I consider anything I have had to go through to be pretty mild in comparison to others, but it doesn't matter who you are, when you are going through troubled waters it is hard to think about anything else.  I am so grateful for my faith and how it helps my perspective on the hard times. I know it is not for everyone, but my faith in God works for me.


I am so grateful that my life is not full of huge dramas. It is a happy mix of  ups and downs. There is nothing that I can really complain about.  My life is relatively easy in comparison to some. Faith, Family, Friends . . .  that is my three legged stool that helps to get me through my life.  I am grateful for all three. I am blessed beyond measure.

 A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Keep a diary and some day
it will keep you.
~Mae West  •。★★ 。* 。




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Maple Cream Cake. More like a Maple Blondie, these get better tasting with each day that passes. Some good!

 I hope your week ahead is filled to overflowing with small and wonderful things too plentiful to count!  Don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ══════════  

 

And I do too!     
      
 
 



4 comments:

  1. Terro is the best, a bit disconcerting when one sees just how many ants there are but effective. I don't bother using anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it was a bit hard not to freak out when I saw them all, but I managed to contain myself! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Such good news about the fires, things seem to have settled down in Ontario too after all the rain. How lovely to see photos of Mitzi, but your eyes weren't dry looking at them. Sounds like you all had wonderful family time on the weekend. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that Mitzi!….great family time!…no ants! …so many blessings!…wishing you a happy new week, xo, V.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!