Tuesday 16 May 2017

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .

 

 FOR TODAY, May 16, 2017

Outside my window...
Its perfectly light, but overcast.  What will today bring.  We never know. That is one thing about the weather over here you can rely on. Its very changeable. ☺

I am thinking ...
It looks really cold out there this morning. Brrrr . . .

In the Kitchen ...


 In The English Kitchen today.  Tina's Burgers.  The other week we had lunch with our friend Tina and Tony and she was telling me how much her grandchildren liked her burgers. I just had to come home and try to replicate what it was that she had told me.  Open faced burgers that you eat with a knife and a fork.  Now that's what I call a burger! Wowsa!

On my "To Cook" list ...
  

Fatoush Salad from Gimme Some Oven. This looks fabulous. I do enjoy good salads!

Good to know ...


 

 You never know when something like this will come in handy.

I am creating ...

 

Reading Residence. How to make a Pocket Letter.




 Livingroom Afghan.  A free pattern. From Sarah's Never-ending Projects.


 Armchair Pin Cushion Thread Catcher.  This could come in handy. From Poppyprint.

 
 Sew can She.  Instant downloadable free pattern for a purse organiser. Love this.


 How to make roses from old maps.  From Pillar Box Blue. Simple.

 I am reading ...

 

 The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton

A four-year-old girl abandoned aboard a ship touches off a century-long inquiry into her ancestry, in Morton's weighty, at times unwieldy, second novel (The House at Riverton, 2008). In 1913, Hugh, portmaster of Maryborough, Australia, discovers a child alone on a vessel newly arrived from England. The little girl cannot recall her name and has no identification, only a white suitcase containing some clothes and a book of fairy tales by Eliza Makepeace. Hugh and his wife, childless after several miscarriages, name the girl Nell and raise her as their own. At 21, she is engaged to be married and has no idea she is not their biological daughter. When Hugh confesses the truth, Nell's equilibrium is destroyed, but life and World War II intervene, and she doesn't explore her true origins until 1975, when she journeys to London. There she learns of Eliza's sickly cousin Rose, daughter of Lord Linus Mountrachet and his lowborn, tightly wound wife, Lady Adeline. Mountrachet's beloved sister Georgiana disgraced the family by running off to London to live in squalor with a sailor, who then abruptly disappeared. Eliza was their daughter, reclaimed by Linus after Georgiana's death and brought back to Blackhurst, the gloomy Mountrachet manor in Cornwall. Interviewing secretive locals at Blackhurst, now under renovation as a hotel, Nell traces her parentage to Rose and her husband, society portraitist Nathaniel Walker-except that their only daughter died at age four. Nell's quest is interrupted at this point, but after her death in 2005, her granddaughter Cassandra takes it up. Intricate, intersecting narratives, heavy-handed fairy-tale symbolism and a giant red herring suggesting possible incestcreate a thicket of clues as impenetrable and treacherous as Eliza's overgrown garden and the twisty maze on the Mountrachet estate. Murky, but the puzzle is pleasing and the long-delayed "reveal" is a genuine surprise.

I am looking forward to ...
 

Chris Sorenson served his mission in the EMM about 4 year or so ago and he is coming tomorrow (with his wife!) to have dinner with us.  I am really looking forward to seeing him again and  meeting his wife.  They are a really sweet young couple! It is really nice when the missionaries come back to visit and bring their spouses with them! Looking forward to seeing Chris again and meeting his wife!

Dreaming about ...

Veranda's and white picket fences  . . .


Cosy dining nooks  . . .


A country bedroom with a wood floor and chintz curtains . . .


A cottage to curl up in  . . .


Clean and fresh, and large enough to swing a cat in  . . .

Something to watch ...

I am revisiting this for the bazillionth time.  It never gets old  . . . 

A favourite quote for the day ...
(¯`v´¯)
 `*.¸.*´Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ¸. •´¸.•~♥♥♥~•. ~ ღϠ₡ღ¸. ✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.
              ( ¸. ❀⁀ ⋱‿✿“` * .¸.* ✻ღϠ₡ ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ..
          With freedom, books, flowers
                      and the moon. Who could not be happy?
                                ~Oscar Wilde   ´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ..¸.•~♥♥♥~• 

Makes me smile ... 

  

One of my favourite things ...

  

Scalloped Macaroni. It is my favourite comfort food  . . . I could eat it every day and never tire of it.

Corners of my Kingdom ...


The Old Bridge at Sligachan, Isle of Skye, Inner Hebrides. Scotland

And that's my daybook for this week!

  ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆
  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆


✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..
╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░


 Wherever you go and whatever you do, I hope there's a great day ahead of you! Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!


8 comments:

  1. Hi Marie. Love that salad, and so quick and easy. I just love white kitchens too!

    Isle of Skye, wow, can't wait to go in September!

    Hope your knee is feeling better, Todd too. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Marie. Today I have one picture and that is the scalloped mac and cheese. I hope you have a lovely time with your visitors. Lots of love and God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you watch Outlander Kate! That is Isle of Skye country. I love the show myself. I am sad we won't get to see the Isle of Skye this time around, but there is always the future. My knee has not improved, but I am forcing myself to use it, no matter what. It is the only way forward for me. Love and hugs. xoxo

    Sorry about the photos Suzan, I can only think it is your server. Love and hugs to you right back. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I ever tell you that Mary is a daughter of Skye ? Her mother was born,and brought up on Skye and soon after her birth she was taken over to Skye and stayed there a few months....not that she can remember that ! But Skye is certainly in her blood and she was able to have a few days over there around about four years ago when she met some long lost cousins ( I had researched them unknown to her !) ..
    I am going to look up the open burger idea I don't often if ever have burgers but againMary enjoys a good one and I think if it wasn't in a bun etc I would like it, looks like a nice salad as well...hope your knee gets a bit better before you go on your coach trip...bye for now, God Bless. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read that book..but I have FORGOTTEN it..does that happen to you?:(

    I have a good memory knock on wood..but books..many..become..lost..

    Have fun tomororrow Cute kids..so much creating going on there..maybe next week for me..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have never to,d me that Sybil, how fascinating to be a daughter of Skye! I love it! The open burger is very nice but very filling! Todd doesn't really like closed burgers. I hope my knee gets better before our trip also! Love to you both! And Masy too! Xoxo

    You have a great excuse this week to not be creating Monique! I can only wish! Have fun! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy your Daybook posts when I get to read them. Tina's Burgers look delish. I will try to make them. Pocket Letters look fun and I love love the purse organizers. My poor purse is always unorganized and I can never find my keys. The book sounds like a good complicated story. As always I would love a home with a big veranda and picket fence. Your chosen decor is my taste exactly.
    Loved this one! Big hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks LeAnn! I always like to see your comments! They make my day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!