Tuesday 8 November 2011

The Simple Woman's Day book . . .




FOR TODAY, November 8th, 2011...

Outside My Window...

We had a very heavy frost yesterday morning . . . but this morning it looks like there isn't one. I always worry about our fish this time of year, and now this year our frogs. Todd says they will be ok. Our fish had babies though and so I worry about them. God sees the little sparrow though . . . so I will trust in Him, that the fish and the frogs and the sparrows will be just fine!

I am thinking...
I got my letter to go back for the results of everything and the prognosis and the plan of action yesterday morning. I go on the 18th November at 10 am.

I am thankful for...
The tender mercies of my Heavenly Father. They manifest themselves in my life every day. I am thankful for a seeking heart and for eyes that recognize them when they come. What a blessing that is!

From the kitchen...
There is leftover cola cake . . . not a lot because I gave half of it away to a friend . . . but there's a little piece left there for me. I wonder . . . would cola cake be good for breakfast? Probably not, but what the heck . . . I may just be really naughtie!

I am wearing...
Yellow Nightie, with navy pindots, a pretty navy ribbon and pleats on the bodice. Some old grey and pink pajama bottoms, my robe and slippers. Not altogether an attractive combination, but they keep me warm so that's what counts!

I am creating...
I have a special painting I am working on for a friend, but I still managed to knock out this yesterday:



Just in case you can't read it in this format it says: "She knew that she was formed by God's hands, dreamed up in His heart, and placed in this world for a purpose."

Someone on facebook said that it would be good for young women's and although I hadn't thought of that when I created it, they are right, it would be perfect for Young Women's. I am really enjoying doing these water colour backgrounds now that I have learned how to use the masking fluid. I draw my picture onto the paper and then I paint over it with the masking fluid. I then experiment with my water colours, creating what I hope will be a great background. Once that is finished and dried, I peel off the masking fluid and then I paint my character, scan and put on the words.

I've also got quite a bit done on my crochet afghan. I decided on the colours dark brown, coffee, cream, white and a dusty green. They are looking nice together.

I am going...
This afternoon we are taking Mitzie over to a friends so that she can meet her and perhaps get a bit used to her. This friend will be watching her for the day on Friday when we go to the Temple so we don't have to worry about getting back too quickly. I am very grateful for a friend that is willing to do that for us. She has a big dog herself, that is part wolf, but she has had to leave her in America for a bit, while she is over here, so she is really missing having a dog around. She's really looking foward to having Mitzie!

I am reading...



Alice I have Been, by Melanie Benjamin

Oxford, England, 1859 and Alice Liddell is the nine year old daughter of the Dean of the college. Living a pampered life with her brother and sisters in the midst of the hustle and bustle of college life she is anxious for experiences beyond what her family expects. Nothing too drastic, she would just like to be able to roll in the dirt and play without being reprimanded for getting dirty. She and her sisters are befriended by Mr Dodgson (pen name Lewis Carroll), a maths professor at the college. An unusual man, he seems to find the company of children more to his liking than most adults and spends many an afternoon entertaining the young Liddell girls.

Whilst on one of their outings he recounts a tale to the three girls, Alice's story, it is the tale that we have all come to know and love. For several years afterwards Alice Liddell begs him to write the story down for her, without knowing that once he does it will change her life forever.

Whilst Melanie Benjamin's novel is based on fact, much of the tale of Lewis Carroll and the young Alice remains unknown. What is known is that Lewis Carroll preferred the company of little girls to adults, he liked to photograph them (including Alice Liddell) in revealing poses and entranced them with his fanciful tales. But whether there was anything more sinister than that in his behaviour is unclear. It is a story that is at once fascinating and at the same time disarming . . . nevertheless I am enjoying it thus far. It's an "I can't put down" kind of book.

I've also been re-reading The Help. It's every bit as good the second time around!

I am hoping...
I got a really wierd e-mail from my eldest daughter yesterday morning. She is getting married in July. She seemed to be worried that I would want to be with her on the morning of her wedding and have my hair done together with her and the Bride's maids. She told me that the Stepmom says that only she, the step mom, the two bridesmaids and the hair dresser are allowed to be there that morning. Then she had "Sorry" printed in big letters, and said that it was nothing against me, but that was just the way it was planned. It upset me a bit because first of all I haven't written or said anything to anyone about the wedding, least of all her, or even intimated that I wanted to be with her the morning of her wedding, so quite obviously her stepmom is making sure that I will not be there, because that would never have come from Eileen, herself. I phoned over to where my daughter lives because I wanted to reassure her that I only want her wedding day to be a happy day and if I am there it will be only because I want to share in her joy, that I was not planning on causing any problems for anyone. She was not home . . . she had gone with her stepmom and dad into Halifax shopping for a wedding gown. I am not sure why but the more I thought about it, I started to feel a bit angry about their attitude. This is my daughter. I raised her and I love her with all of my heart. Surely the correct thing to do, with me living as far away as I do, and knowing that I will not have a lot of input with the wedding . . . and the kindest thing to do . . . would be to allow me to have a few hours with my daughter on her wedding day. Am I wrong to think that? I will not of course, because it is not how they want it to be and I would never want to put a shadow on my daughter's special day by insisting on anything that might cause problems. But there is a part of me that wants to be there on that morning before she becomes someone else's wife . . . to share the things with her that only a mother can share . . . but it seems I won't be allowed to do that. Perhaps I am wrong to want to do so . . .

I am hearing...
Early morning sounds as the world
wakes up around me. Every day sounds. Peaceable and comforting.

Around the house...







I was looking at storage solutions yesterday and I came across this. Because we live in a house with very limited storage I am always looking for cheap and easy ways to organize things. This looks perfect for my craft room! I could probably improvise on this idea by using some tin cans etc. I will have to put my thinking cap on, and maybe we can do something like this once everything else is sorted in my life!

I am looking forward to...
I am really looking forward to going to the Temple with Todd on Friday. We were sealed to each other in the Preston Temple and it will be nice to be there again on our Anniversary. The Temple is a special place. It is so peaceful and serene and beautiful. One feels very close to God the and to the Saviour . . . and to our ancestors. You can feel them all around you. You feel safe, and loved and special. I can't really find words to adequately describe it all really . . . just know that it is a very special and sacred place to be and I can't think of anywhere nicer to be on our Anniversary.

I am pondering...
I am trying not to think too deeply! That thought makes me laugh . . . I am a deep thinker! I am always thinking! I am trying to dwell on positivity though, more than anything else.

One of my favourite things...
I love music. I have different kinds of music that I listen to for different things and for different moods. When I am working in my craft room . . . creating and painting, I like to listen to upbeat or inspiring music. I usually have Mindy Gledhill, or Paul Cardall in my discman. Occasionally I will have Bruno Mars or Take That. Lately I've also been listening to James Taylor.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
I am working on my bucket list. Everyone has one . . . the things you want to do before you die. I am working on my bucket list and crossing things off, making every day count as never before.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...




I love the words of President Uchtdorf. They speak to my heart in such a clear way. I find great comfort in them and solace. They help my brain, which is going about a million miles an hour in all sorts of directions, to slow down and to focus on what is important . . . they bring me peace.

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:

"The Lord uses a scale very different than the world's to measure the worth of a soul."
~Dieter f. Uchtdorf

We would do well to remember that each and every day of our lives. We matter much more than the world would have us think.

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!


Another recipe that I am bringing over from my old Marie's Muses blog. It's kinda chinese style. I do love Indian and Chinese food once in a while. Oh heck, who am I trying to kid . . . I just love food!



*Sesame Chicken*
Serves 4 - 6
Printable Recipe

I’m not sure this qualifies as being authentically “Chinese”, but whenever I make it, it satisfies my craving for a Chinese meal. You can leave the vegetables out if you want, but I really enjoy them myself. All you need to do is steam some rice to have on the side. It’s a really delicious meal and very simple to put together. If you like hot and spicy, add the red pepper flakes. I often only add a pinch. It all depends on what kind of mood I am in!

6 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
A little garlic powder, salt and pepper
¼ cup runny honey
¼ cup soy sauce
½ cup water
1 TBS cornflour (cornstarch)
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, steamed until crispy tender
1 TBS toasted sesame seeds

Wipe the chicken breasts and then cut them into 1 inch strips with a sharp knife. Sprinkle them with a little garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Whisk together the honey, soy sauce, water, corn flour, ginger and red pepper flakes in a small bowl, until smooth. Set aside.

Spray a large non-stick skillet with spray oil and heat it over medium high heat until fairly hot. Add the chicken strips and cook them for about 6 minutes, or until they are no longer pink.

Pour the honey mixture over top and cook, stirring until it thickens slightly. Cover the skillet with a lid and let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes or so, until the chicken starts to soak up the sauce.

In the meantime steam your vegetables. I like to use the steam fresh packets of mixed vegetables you can get in the freezer section of the store. They have delicious combinations, my personal favourite being the one with the green beans, carrots and broccoli,

Once the vegetables are crispy tender, stir them into the chicken mixture. Cook for about a minute to help them absorb some of the flavour of the sauce, sprinkle with the sesame seeds and then serve spooned over hot steamed white rice. Delicious!



There's a tasty snack cooking in The English Kitchen today, Gingerbread Roasted Chickpeas. They're moreishly scrummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!