Friday 11 November 2011

Anniversaries . . .




In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.



Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
~John McCrae





Since a child I have felt a special reverence for this day and for the sacrifice given to us by the men and women who have died so that we might be free. On this day I honor them and give them thanks, and remember all that they did. It is amazing to me that freedom has always been purchased through the spilling of blood . . .



These men and women spilled their blood on the fields of battle . . . so that we could be free . . . and Christ spilled his blood on the Cross also so that we too could be free of the bondage of sin. Funny how I never made that correlation until I was sat here this morning . . . the brain is a wonderful thing, don't you think!

Source: flickr.com via Marie on Pinterest



Today too, is my Eleventh Wedding Anniversary! Today is the anniversary of the day I kneeled across the altar from my beloved Todd and clasped hands with him and that we were sealed together for time and all eternity.

This might seem a queer thing to some people . . . Imagine wanting to be married to someone for time and all eternity? Well, I do . . . I do . . . I do . . . I do . . . I do!



I want him ever by my side and in my heart. I moved halfway across the world to be with him and I don't regret a single instant. He is my everything and I love him dearly. We are going to the Temple today and it will be so nice to be back in the place where we made those first eternal vows to each other. It's such a special place and I cannot think of a better place to be to celebrate our love for each other. This man has brought me more joy in these past eleven years than I had experienced in my entire lifetime before I met him. It's amazing, truly amazing.

I had a bit of a blue day yesterday . . . a day when everything seemed to get on top of me. I am feeling much better today. I had a blessing which helped and I also lost myself in my craft room . . . this is what I came up with:



A girl dressed as a snowman, based on a photograph I saw of a little girl also dressed as a snowman. I fell in love with it and wanted to do something of my own with the idea.



Then a scripture that touched my heart and brought me some peace yesterday.

"Be strong and of good courage, Be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed, For the Lord thy God is with thee, wither thou goest." ~Joshua 1:9



And finally this is one that I had done the day before, which I forgot to show you yesterday. I think I am finally getting the hang of red hair!

Well, I hear the Toddster moving about so it's time for me to get moving too! I thank you for all of your continued support and your prayers and your love. It all means the world to me! Be back tomorrow . . . who knows with what! We'll have to wait and see! It might even be amazing!

Have a cookie while you wait! Yummo!



*Oatmeal Raisin Cookies*
Makes 36
Printable Recipe

Moist, chewy and absolutely stogged full of delicious sultanas, these are the best oatmeal cookies ever!

2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup light muscovado sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats, not instant
1 ½ cups sultana raisins

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Lightly grease several baking sheets and set aside.

Whisk the flour, soda, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy and well mixed together. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Gently stir in the flour mixture, mixing it together only until no flour is visible in the mix. (Over mixing develops the gluten in the flour and makes cookies tough.) Gently stir in the oats and the raisins.

Drop the cookie dough onto the baking sheets in heaping tablespoonfuls at least 2 inches apart from each other, leaving room to spread.

Bake for 11 to 13 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let sit on the baking sheets for several minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough until all is used up. Store tightly covered.




Cooking in The English Kitchen today, a delicious Wash Day Dinner! Not much to look at, but cheap, easy and oh so scrummy!

“Never give up on anyone. And that includes not giving up on yourself.”
~Dieter F. Uchtdorf


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!