Wednesday 12 May 2010

The perfect ending . . .



I came across these words the other day, attributed to the late actress and comedienne, Gilda Radner. They sum up perfectly what she called . . . "The delicious ambiguity" of life.

"I wanted a perfect ending . . . Now I've learned the hard way that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment, and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."



The truth is, not one of knows what the next month or year is going to bring, or even what the next two minutes or hour is going to bring. It's all unknown to us, and perhaps if we did know, we'd all want to just lay down and give up now!

I love life with all of it's twists and turns . . . all of it's hillsides and deep valleys, it's ups and downs. I love the adventure of it all . . . the good and the bad. But then again, perhaps I've not been truly tested yet . . .

I only know that through all the things I have experienced up to this point, the most important thing that I have learned is that I need to grab each moment for what it is . . . to squeeze all the joy that I can out of the here and the now . . . to use each day as if it were my last, and to make each and every moment count, as if it were the best moment ever!



One thing is for sure . . . these lives we live will not last forever . . . there is an ending to every story. We may not know how it ends, or even when it will end, but we do know it will end . . . and when it does . . . I want to feel like I have made my story count for something, and that I have left something of substance and meaning behind. I can not put this off for tomorrow, for tomorrow may never come. I must make today count, for all that it's worth.



One thing that those of us who have the knowledge of the Gospel have though, that is very precious indeed, is . . . the knowledge that this life is NOT all that there is . . . what comes after is infinitely more beautiful, and more precious than anything we can know or experience here on earth. That is a comforting thought to me when times are bad . . . it helps to give me the strength to move forward. It gives me something else to look forward to, and whilst I'm not ready to leave here just quite yet, leaving here does not hold the power and sting of fear that it would, had I not that sweet knowledge to cling to.

Some people call faith and religion a crutch. It is not a crutch, but a source of strength for me and of power. I don't know how people can cope without it!



I love peanut butter. In cakes, pies, cookies, and even in savoury things! I also love peanut butter and jam together! It's one of my favourite combinations, although Todd does think I am a bit nuts to love it the way that I do! I think it is a North American taste . . . that sweet salty thing . . . these lovely cookies showcase it perfectly. They are one of my favourite cookies, and know what?? For a man who doesn't get sweet/salty . . . he always eats a fair number of them when I bake them!!




*Peanut Butter and Jam Cookies*
Makes about 30
Printable Recipe

Delicious peanut butter cookies topped with a dab of strawberry jam and baked, and then iced with a lovely peanut butter icing when done. Scrummy yummy!!

for the cookies:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
few drops vanilla
1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup soft light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
strawberry jam

For the frosting:
1/4 cup plus 2 TBS icing sugar, sifted
1 1/2 TBS milk
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/Gas mark 4.

Sift together the baking powder and flour. Set aside.

Blend together the peanut butter and the butter with an electric hand mixer, until fluffy and well combined. Add the white and brown sugars and beat until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture, just to combine.

Shape TBS of the dough into balls and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Press down a bit with your fingertips, and then with your thumb, gently make a dent in the middle of each cookie. Spoon about 1/2 tsp of jam into these dents. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and done. Remove from the oven to a wire rack to cool.

Make the frosting by beating together the peanut butter and icing sugar. Beat in the milk, a little at a time until it reaches a good consistency for piping. Place the icing into a plastic sandwich bag and squish it all down into one corner. Snip off a tiny bit of the corner of the bag and pipe the frosting onto the cooled cookies. Enjoy!!



Over on The English Kitchen today . . . yes, it is spaghetti on toast, cheese toast.


13 comments:

  1. I love how you share our faith with all, Marie--beautifully done!

    This cookie recipe is going to be amazing, I can just tell!!! Love the peanut butter frosting, too--YUM!

    You share the most wonderful things...love you loads, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post Marie! Those cookies look so good. I hope life is going well my friend!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes think they have liking peanut butter as a condition of residence in the US! I don't like it myself - no, I should correct that, I have never tried it but I don't fancy it. So much so that I am pretty safe from Peanut Butter and jam sandwiches. Mmm, I feel I could be converted by these cookies!

    One of the burning questions of this day is: "What is that beautiful flower? Is it some kind of clematis and is it in your garden?". Oh, that's 3 questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post Marie -- Very thoughtful words indeed and your flowers are quite beautiful. Those cookies looks most delicious. Thanks for your very sweet visit too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love her quote too, she really went through it didn't she! I love these cookies too..YUM! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truer words were never spoken there is such power in the Words of the Gospel. Your recipes today are 2 of my favorites. However I've never tried my spaghetti on toast. It looks so good! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post - as ever. Cookies look divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We go through a ridiculous amount of peanut butter at my house....so I know my kids will love these cookies. (Of course, even though I"m dieting, I'll have to try one. Can't serve something to people you haven't tried yourself, right? LOL How's that for justification?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how people can cope without it too. I feel strongly about my faith as you Marie...This was a deep and wonderful post that made my day really....My friend from Church took her own life last week and the funeral was yesterday...these words really make it better in my mind and heart right now...thank you Sister, Mica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marie:

    While reading this post, I was thinking all along, just what you ended up by saying: I don't know how people get by without Faith!! I honestly don't know where I would be, or IF I would be, if I hadn't leaned on my faith during my mom's long illness and death.

    Kim
    Gerushia's New World

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure if you have had the opportunity to watch the new tv series on Wednesday evenings Marie? - it's the two young guys that trained with Ramond Blanc on 'The Restaurant' last year. They are on a new show setting up a catering company. Anyway they did a twist on a peanut butter and jelly dessert last night and this post made me think of that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. to make every day count, that is it! the secret to life! i loved reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post, Marie. You are such an inspiration to the rest of us who come to visit your blog.

    By the way, something else really touched me today--a most beautiful little poem caled Mayfly Day that Renee's daughter Angelique posted on her mom's blog. Check it out if you get a chance. I think you will appreciate its beauty too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!