Friday 7 May 2010

The Friend's Prayer



I said a prayer for you today
And know He must have heard . . .
I felt the answer in my heart
Although He spoke no word.
I didn't as for wealth or fame
(I knew you wouldn't mind),
I asked Him to send treasures
Of a far more lasting kind.
I asked that he'd be near to you
At the start of each new day,
To grant you health and blessings
And friends to share your way.
I asked for happiness for you
In all things great and small . . .
But it was for His loving care
I prayed the most of all.
~author unknown

That author unknown doesn't half come up with some wonderful things! I found this and immediately thought of you, for that is the prayer in my heart each time I think of you, my cherished readers.



I've been helping Todd a bit with his catalogues this week. I helped him put them out earlier this week and then I helped him to gather them in on a couple of occasions. For the most part people are very nice and kind, even if they don't want anything, and even if they don't want you to leave any catalogues again.

You do get the occassional nasty person though . . . like the person earlier in the week who threw the catalogue back into the street after Todd had delivered it. Todd found it laying there when he was returning to the car. He had no idea of knowing which house it came from, but he soon discovered which one yesterday when he knocked on a particular door and a man answered and shouted at him, "I threw your catalogue in the street, I don't want your ^&%*£ catalogues." Todd kindly explained to him that was all he had to say, but because the man had thrown it into the street, he had had no way of knowing which house it had come from, sorry to bother you, have a nice day.



One person yesterday left the catalogue outside the door, with this note added . . . "Don't leave any more of your *&$% catalogues. I don't want them. Comprende?"

Thanks for letting us know. You, too have a nice day!

The capper though, was the half naked man who shouted at me through the door (I could partially see him through the glass) "Sod off!" and a bunch of other nonsense that I couldn't quite make out. (Thankfully!!) I got the message though!



One wonders what has happened to good old fashioned civility. It doesn't take much of an effort to tell someone in a kind way that you are not interested, and please don't return in the future. I wonder at what abuse our young missionaries must have to put up with day in and day out, as they knock on doors. It breaks my heart. Thank goodness they have the added protection of the Holy Ghost. I suspect that if they didn't . . . knocking on doors could get to be demeaning, disheartening and soul destroying. Thankfully it is not, and they continue to do what they have to do. I really admire these young people and all that they do in the name of the Saviour. I say a prayer for them every day as well, as do millions of us all over the world. I know it is appreciated and I am quite sure it helps!

I made a delicious old fashioned salad yesterday in the style that my mom makes them. I remember one time when we were visiting my father's family, my aunt made a salad with peas in it. It was a very long time ago and I couldn't quite remember how she did it, but I tried to make my own version of it. I made my mother's typical vinaigrette that she always made for with salads (No store bought dressings in my mother's house!) and then I just combined crisp lettuce with some peas, bacon (doesn't everything taste better with bacon!), red onion and cheese . . . and tossed it with the dressing. Oh my but it was some good! A tasty reward after all that nonsense knocking on doors earlier in the day!



*Old Fashioned Pea Salad*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

A delicious salad with lettuce, peas, red onions, cheese and bacon, all in a tangy mayo vinaigrette.

1 cup of frozen petit peas, thawed
(Pour boiling water over them, let sit for a few minutes, and then drain)
1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, chopped into squares
1 very small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 ounces of cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
4 slices of bacon, cooked until crisp and then crumbled

For the dressing:
1 TBS of white wine vinegar
3 TBS of a fruity olive oil
1 TBS good quality mayonnaise
1 tsp white sugar, or to taste
1/2 tsp dill weed
salt and black pepper to taste



First make the dressing. Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings as required. Set aside.

Mix all the salad ingredients together in a bowl. When you are ready to serve, drizzle the dressing over top and toss. Serve immediately.





Over on The English Kitchen today, a delicious Chicken dish of Roasted chicken Breasts along with some roasted vegetables, including asparagus, and all drizzled with a creamy chive sauce. It may look complicated, but it's not!


7 comments:

  1. I agree it is far better to be civil. I am sorry that some think it is better to be rude to get their point across. A few minutes ago I had a telemarketer slam the phone in my ear. Her problem not mine.

    I hope your Friday is filled with some wonderful moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manners & etiquette are much eroded in these modern times, sad to say. Young folks and older alike can be very rude and not at all thoughtful to those around them. How much a smile, or taking a moment to listen, or be mindful of someone near you can make such a difference! I why and how this has happened--the "me-me-me" syndrome took over...Interesting! But glad when you & Todd are out on the rounds, that most are nice to you. :o) WONDERFUL salad today, Marie--great dressing. Today & tomorrow are full of preparing for our trip. But we will be home Sunday, so will look out for you for chat--must have a good gab before we go! ;o) Hope you & Todd have lovely weekend. LOVE YOU HEAPS!! OXOX ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is funny that I just finished reading a news item on yahoo about how to preserve your greens in the frig after purchasing. It is set up so you can comment on the various articles.

    The woman that wrote it happened to live in Malibu, a very wealthy area in southern CA. People were writing all these comments on why a person living in Malibu cared about preserving greens in the frig..just go buy more.

    It was humorous in a very sad way. Why would anyone take the time to say such mean things to a woman innocently writing an article to help others? If you don't want the info..move on. But no, they had to stop and leave a nasty remark over lettuce! People are just rude sometimes and I am sorry that you and Todd had to be subjected to that. What does he sell in the catalogs?

    And I agree with you about the missionaries~God bless them for what they must have to put up with out there!

    Loved the sweet poem for friends. Thanks, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the morning prayer today. I do often pray for my friends on line and off so know that you are thought of often. I do hope your Friday is a Fantastic one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that makes me sad picturing those people being so mean to your todd. i wish i could go and kick their butt for you(oh wait, thats not civil:) hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh Marie Im sad by Todd, some people are... you knw, in all parts of the world is the same, sometimes to offer my food Im aso timid because I know Im afraid, so I understand perfectly to you and Todd. But you are special people Marie and God know this, dont worry my dear He take care of us always. I hope you have a nice day huggs for you and Todd, and have a nice weekend, xoxoxoxo gloria


    PD I think these angry people is a very sad people Marie, very sad.

    xoxoxo I pray for you and Todd!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the poem. It is sad how people don't feel the need to just be nice! Their loss and damage to their personality though! I am so proud of the missionaries and how they endure it so well. Love the salad too Yummy! :D

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!