Wednesday 20 March 2024

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 

 


The Calendar says it, even if it doesn't really feel like it. It's below zero this morning and yesterday, the first day of Spring, the wind was positively frigid! Brrr . . . cold,  but we know it won't be long now before the days start getting warmer and warmer. I am not calling to make an appointment to have my snow tires removed just yet, but I am thinking about it!

March is known for its winds.  March winds do blow. I was thinking about the wind the other day and how it blows over hill and dale, touching everything and everyone in its path.  Sometimes it is strong and ferocious and other times gentle, like a lover's kiss.  

You cannot see it, but you can see it pass by the things it chooses to touch and to twist, and you can feel it brush against or assault you, depending on it's ferocity. Invisible and yet incredibly tangible.

You can harness it, but you cannot control it. With a mind of it's own, it goes wherever it wants to go, and however it wants to go, whenever it wants to go . . . 


 

Easter will soon be here. This coming Sunday is Palm Sunday. I have been following Lent on my Hallow App. Its been really good.  I did not choose to give up anything like alcohol, chocolate, etc. for Lent. Instead I chose to give up negative thinking about others, etc.  I think I have done well with that, but it has not been easy. When I catch myself, I quickly make note of it and repent.  The hardest part has been thinking negatively about myself.  


Why is it that we can be so much kinder to others than we can be to ourselves?  We are often our own harshest critics.  We all have an inner voice.  How we choose to "speak" to ourselves is really important I think. We need to learn to allow as much grace for ourselves as we do for others. For me, this is an ongoing battle, which probably has a lot to do with the experiences of my childhood. I am aware of this weakness however and work on it daily.


In any case I have enjoyed my studies over these weeks of Lent and feel I am a better person because of them.






I sat down late in the day yesterday and Cinnamon climbed up and was resting on my legs, giving me a needle massage. (I need to get their nails cut again.) She has been quite affectionate lately. In looking back to photos from when they were kittens and first came to live with me, she was very affectionate then, and then she kind of became very independent.  I try not to pet her too much because she will leave if I do, but she likes to sit with me so long  as I do not mither her overly much.

I just sit and let her massage me.  She seems content with this.  She also sings me a song as she does so. I like her kind of music.




This guy is at the opposite end of the spectrum. He is never very far from me, and can usually be found right next to me. I think Nutmeg can be a bit jealous at times and perhaps that is why Cinnamon is not as affectionate as she was at the beginning.  He tends to rule the roost. I have seen her put him in his place however, when he really gets annoying.  He can be a bit of a bully sometimes, which usually ends with plenty of hissing and spitting on her part. I usually step in then and distract his attention towards something else.

I wonder if ginger cats are a bit stroppy, like ginger people?  Ginger people have a reputation (deserved or not) for being a bit temperamental. I wonder if it is the same with cats.


 

The chipmunk has been coming for its nuts again, these past couple of days. I cannot tell if it is the same one who has come in years previous.  My sister can tell all of hers apart. I cannot tell one from another. They all look the same to me.  Of course my furry family members were quite interested in watching it gather and eat the nuts from their perches on the windowsill.  These simple things keep them quite occupied.  They also like to watch the crows in the back yard. I throw out stale bread to them every day.  I can never use a whole loaf up and have run out of space in my freezer. The crows and starlings quite enjoy what I throw out and it adds some interest into the cat's days. I don't mind and do not see it as a waste.

I have a loaf of bread in the bread machine at the moment. I hope it turns out. The last few have not.  I am not sure why. Not enough liquid I think.  I fear this one will end up the same way. Time will tell. I have my fingers crossed.


 

I started watching Downton Abby from the beginning again last night. Its funny how much your brain forgets from the earliest episodes.  Either that, or you see things that you hadn't noticed before.  It remains one of my all time favorite television series. I have not seen any of the movies.  I did hear rumors that they are making another series of it.  I am not sure if that is true or not. You know how rumors go!


One thing I miss about the U.K. is the National Trust.  They owned a multitude of historic properties and gardens. I always really loved visiting them. So much history and beautiful glimpses into a very different way of life.


 

Still really struggling with getting a good night's sleep. I suspect it is a combination of the time change and then this darned knee of mine. The pain never lets up and when I move it is even worse. My friend Jacquie thinks I should go to an Osteopath, but I am not sure about that. It is very expensive (at least $90 a session) and what if they make it worse?  I don't want it to get any worse.


Has anyone out there gone to an osteopath?  That's a lot of money and I suspect it will be like the chiropractor I went to in the U.K. for my back. One visit is never enough. They keep you going back for months and months. I don't think I really have that kind of money to spend and I am not sure what they do.  Its an unknown for me, so I am a bit leery of taking the risk.


 

I don't really have a lot else to whitter on about this morning. I am very late getting this finished. I have a lot to get done today as tomorrow Cindy and I are going to try to go and give dad a bath/shower.  I am never quite sure how much help I am with this, but I try. The Department of Veteran's Affairs was supposed to be lining up someone to come in more often and do that for us, but to this date nothing has been done. It is not the most comfortable thing, giving your father a bath, but its what we have to do for now. Hopefully they will sort something out soon. He doesn't mind us doing it, but we mind doing it.  Its just awkward.


In any case I will leave you now with a thought for today  . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.If you be pungent, be brief,
for it is with words as with sunbeams;
the more they are condensed,
the deeper they burn.
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~John Dryden
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Almond Frangipane Blondies.  Dense, moist blondie base with a rich almond frangipane topping. Altogether very delicious!


I do hope you have a wonderful Wednesday, filled with lots of lovely things. Whatever you get up to, don't forget!


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   







7 comments:

  1. Never tried osteopath, as you say very expensive and you have to keep going back. Hope you sleep better soon. The kitties are such a comfort and source of love. No spring like weather here, snow covering all the fields. Do you make breadcrumbs from your not perfect bread? The National Trust was wonderful with all the places to visit, miss that too. Enjoy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that it is so cold where you are. And, I was complaining about our temp of around 55 yesterday!! What was i thinking. The wind (that darn March wind) is to blame for it feeling so chilly. Hoping spring comes your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie, as far as I know, Osteopaths have additional training beyond the basic MD degree, first getting the MD, and then continuing on training in osteopathy. At the least that is the way here in the states. I have been to both MD's and an Osteopath. The osteopath was calm, thorough, and did not push for return visits. He had a broad range of knowledge, and who to refer a person to if they needed more specialized treatment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed I would try an osteopath. Just a doc with a different focus. Have gone to some medical docs who had extra training in this field...always good ones. My understanding is that they look at the WHOLE person...not just part of your body. IF they help you, no reason to go back much. You are a wonderful person Marie, it is ok to spend money on your needs...after all, this is not a want, it is a need!!
    As to being a ginger...yep...even though most of my original color is gone. It is NOT true that we are all tempermental or quick to anger...but then my kind of red was auburn, not fire engine red. My brother with very dark hair had a much much hotter temper than me. One thing that most seem not to know is that we are more sure of our opinion on things (the things we are sure about...not things that we do not know about). We tend to be somewhat outspoken, though with me that only came after being a Navy wife and being treated very poorly when my husband was gone to sea. It was survival or not. You WILL learn under such. All redheads I know are forthright and truthful. We as a group, are not out to hurt anyone in any way. But we do not see a reason to "beat around the bush". My Grampie, who was mostly German blood, was the kindest, most hilarious man ever...and LOVED ABSOLUTELY by all who ever knew him. I have never been able to draw people to myself in his way. IF he had a bad temper, it was not seen. I saw him make nasty neighbors who hated all the other neighbors, simply fall in love with him and treat him, and only him, like gold. All redheads I know are generous beyond, way beyond what most people are. I have been reading some books on being redheaded of late...very interesting how many medical issues I share too. Poor dear Prince Harry...too young yet to learn that he is not going to be able to get others to treat him and his family in correct ways. But in my view, it is fine to live away from the nasties. You can see the lack of his mother in his life...does one ever totally recover from such a loss? Doubtful...
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, I wonder if a cortisone shot would help your knee? I really wish you had a family doctor to give you advice. We are under a winter weather advisory with high winds, blowing snow, and poor visibility this afternoon. I guess Mother Nature doesn’t know it’s Spring. We’re supposed to go to our Antique Collectors Club meeting tonight but if the driving is bad we’ll stay home. Take gentle care. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Marie - would highly recommend melatonin tablets for helping you drift off. They are natural and not too expensive. --from Becky in California. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my best doctors was an osteopath. When I first became ill with fibromyalgia, I had unusual symptoms that pointed to a different diagnosis. When I saw him, he cancelled his next appointments to spend time with me, set up an MRI and a neurologist, an opthamologist, and a few other things. He spent a lot of time examining me and discuss things. I also, before this, got the most detailed physical from him, down to measuring skin anomalies just in case. I had to move away, or he would still be my doctor 25 years later.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!