Wednesday 26 July 2023

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 

 

Never underestimate the 
value of the little moment.
💙


Lots of excitement happening in the house today as I will be picking up  Eileen at her place at noon and bringing her over to visit with us for ten days. Her husband is going to Ontario with his mother to visit his brothers and this way I don't have to worry about here being all on her own for the time that he is away.  We live in such a crazy world today, I would be really worried about her being all by herself.  As a vulnerable adult I worry sometimes that she might be a target for unscrupulous individuals. This way, she also gets a bit of a vacation herself.  It will be nice.

The town I live in is very small, but there is a large criminal element in the area these days. There was a small Coffee Bistro in our town which only opened up a week or two back. It is run by a Christian group and they have already been broken into.  Sad but true.  Despicable really.

There is a group on Facebook I belong to, Ask a Question (for our area.)  Every day there is someone else posting about how their car has been broken into or something has been stolen from their yard or shed, etc. Petty crime seems to be on the increase.   Its a shame really because it is a lovely little town in every other way.

Perhaps it is the same everywhere?  It could be a sign of the times. Sad that is  . . .
 

 


I was up at least three times during the night to go to the loo. I don't think I drank any more than usual yesterday, but I must have done. I always wake up about midnight, and then I was up again at 2 and 4:55 (I looked at the clock.) I managed to be able to fall back asleep each time, but its still disturbing to your sleep pattern.

Just before I woke up I was dreaming about becoming a nun. I had watched a little video on YouTube yesterday about the closing world of the Carmelite Nuns.  It was filmed at a monastery in New Zealand. I found it quite interesting. But just goes to show you how the little things you do or see during the day can end up in your dreams at night!

I had thought about becoming a nun when I was about 16 or so.  I had seen a film on the television with Haley Mills in it, The Trouble with Angels.  They presented quite a romanticized version of being a Nun.  It looked like fun, but there were two problems.  I wasn't catholic for one, and two, there would be no boyfriends.   I think that was the clincher.  I  really only wanted to be Haley Mills, haha. and go to boarding school. It looked like so much fun.


 


Reading all of those Enid Blyton books  when I was a child didn't help either.  A lot of the children in them were at boarding school, and it seemed like so much fun, with adventures and tuck boxes, etc.

Then when I was a young teenager I can remember reading teen romance novels as well where the girls were at boarding school and dating cadets at West Point.   Their lives seemed to be so much more exciting than boring old mine.

I am sure it was not and that there were a great many children at boarding schools who would have longed to trade places with me and be able to live at home with their families.

As humans we can sometimes struggle to be content with what we already have, but really that is where joy is to be found, in the wanting of what you already have.



 

I think I will make a tea party for Eileen and I while she is here one day.  I will put it together when she is at work and surprise her with it when I bring her home from work afterwards.  It will be so much fun! I am sure she will enjoy it.  At least I hope that she will.

We used to do a lot together when she was growing up. She went through a period of time where she didn't really want to go to school so I was trying to teach her what I could at home. I had workbooks for her and we would watch Martha Stewart together (Home Ec).  She was always okay at school but when we moved to Georgetown in Ontario she had to go to a large centralized High School and she found it very overwhelming.  She refused to do and then when we left there to come to Nova Scotia, she also did not want to go.  Eventually we were able to convince her to go again and she ended up loving it.  She graduated from High School on a modified program and even won an award at the end of the year for being the most improved student.   

Three of my five children graduated from the High School here in town.



 


All of the postal service in Nova Scotia has been halted since the floods. The trucks cannot get through and so they have stopped it altogether.  Also a lot of goods that come in and out via rail from the ships, etc. are not able to get through apparently. I expect there will be shortages in the shops.  


What a year this has been for the province first with Hurricane Fiona, then the fires, now the floods.  Many places are still not recovered from the Hurricane. 


My sister was reading in the Beal's Family history about something similar happening in the province back in the 1800's.  There was a catastrophic volcanic eruption somewhere in Indonesia or some place and the ripple effect of that spread throughout the world. Here in Nova Scotia they had the summer of Winter.   1816, the summer of winter. With snow and ice and all sorts. This had been preceded by a plague of mice in 1815 which had decimated their crops, ravaging farmer's fields.  

I cannot remember now what else happened, but it surely was a few years of severity for the province, much like we are experiencing now.  

I think with global warming we need to be prepared to go through more and more things like this which makes it all the more important to have emergency measures in place in our towns and homes. Things like a bit of food storage (not the same thing as hoarding), 72 hour emergency kits, etc.

My Birthday cards to my American friends will be late going out this year.  I have them bought and ready to go, but without the postal service in place I won't be able to mail them on time.


 


At any rate, I am looking forward to spending this next week or so with my daughter and doing some fun things together. Maybe a bit of crafting and some cooking, a few adventures in the car and just enjoying each other's company.   Mom and daughter time. It will be great!

And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day!

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
 *.˛There are two ways 
of spreading light . . .
to be the candle 
or the mirror  that reflects it.
~Edith Wharton
•。★★ 。* 。




In the English Kitchen today  . . .  Vegetable Samosas.  A delicious Indian snack that I simply adore. Crisp on the outside, with a beautifully flavored vegetable filling. Baked and not fried.


I hope you have a wonderful day filled with lots of the things you love. A bit of sunshine, a lot of love and more blessings than your cup can hold. Whatever you get up to, don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   




8 comments:

  1. You will have a wonderful time with Eileen. A tea party will be so much fun. Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun with Eileen. Stay safe. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elaine! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun time, Marie...no doubt it will be fun for Eileen to have one-on-one attention from Mom plus getting to eat Mom's yummy food!!
    Hugs, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its fun for us both! Thanks Elizabeth! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Too bad about the crime in Canada and the US, I remember just twenty years ago when there was very little crime. I spend most of the year in Saudi and Dubai, very little crime due to strict penalties. I am often out at two in the morning at the malls and parks, full of famlies with no issues. IMO the west needs to take a no tolerance policy toward crime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it will get any better. To much permissiveness here and very little consequences. xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!