Tuesday 18 July 2023

A Day Book . . .

 

 

OUTSIDE MY WINDOW ...

Its mostly cloudy. 20 degrees at not quite 7 a.m. with 98% humidity. It has rained in the night and I am not sure what the day will bring. Good weather I hope for my son and his family who are at camp. Camp is no fun in the rain. Yesterday I went over to help my next door neighbor with her heat pump. She did not know how to switch it from the heating mode to the cooling mode, so I sorted it out for her. She has two new little Yorkies that she is fostering from the Dogs for Seniors. They are really cute.  I had been to Glenna's earlier to bring something over and to meet her sister who is visiting from Utah. We have made plans to go one day to the cemetery below town to see our common ancestor's grave. Hopefully Cindy will also be able to come.  I am sure he never thought that several hundred years down the road four women from future generations would be wanting to know more about him and visit his grave.  That's why it is important to have a place mark for eternity. You never know who, down the road in time, will want to know more.


I AM THINKING ...

I hope that I can get into Greenwood today to put some money into the bank account I pay my bills from.   Its a real pain that I have to have two bank accounts. When I opened the second one for paying bills the bank was right here in town, but they ended up closing that branch and moving it to Greenwood. My main bank account doesn't have Visa debit, and it is really difficult to pay my bills from it, so that is why I opened the second account. Sometimes life is more complicated than it needs to be. 


 

I AM ALSO THINKING ...

I got a letter yesterday from my credit card company offering me an increase on my credit limit. In their words, I have managed my credit card account in an "outstanding" manner.  That's because I pay it off every month in full and well on time. Basically they want to more than double it.  I have been pondering this opportunity and praying about it.  I think I do not want to have a credit card with that big of a limit.  I basically only have the card because my main bank doesn't have a visa debit card and the credit card enables me to be able to purchase things online,  like via Amazon for instance.  I am managing quite well with the credit limit I have. I am pretty sure that being able to charge more to a credit card each month is not a wise idea.  I am quite happy with things as they are. It is quite manageable and I am always able to pay it off each month.  Were I to get in deeper, that might not be so. So I will leave things just as they are. Its the smart thing to do.


 

LOOKING FORWARD TO ...

Having Doug and his family back here come Thursday for a few days, and then having Eileen with me from next Wednesday for about a week and a half.  I could only dream about having my children come to spend time with me when I lived in the UK. Now it is a reality.  Dreams can come true!  I love all of my children very much, my grandchildren too. I wish I could have spent more time with them when they were really small, but I am grateful for the time I get to spend with them now.  We, my sister, brother and myself, really did not know our grandparents very well.  We lived very far away from them, and three of the four passed away before we moved back to a place where we could have at least gotten to know two of them. There was a book I had when I was a child, 365 Bedtime Stories. All the stories centered on a street called "What a Jolly Street."  At the end of the street was an older grandmotherly kind of lady who told the stories to the children.  I think I about wore that book out!

Anyways, I am looking forward to spending more time with my family.  


 

I AM REALLY ENJOYING ...

All the fresh produce of the season. My sister had some really nice fresh beans that she cooked on Sunday, a mix of green and yellow.  They were so delicious. The new potatoes are happening now as well. Carrot and beet thinning's. I love LOVE beet greens. With some butter, salt, pepper and vinegar, they are so tasty.  There is a dish here in Nova Scotia called Hodge Podge. It is a mix of the new small baby vegetables with cream and butter.  So delicious.


 

I SHOULD MAKE ...

I should get some lemons and make a big jug of lemonade when the family comes back. I think I remember Cindy's ex-in-laws making lemonade concentrate, or maybe I imagined it. Nothing is so refreshing in the summer like an ice cold glass of lemonade.  With lots of ice and a sprig of mint.


 

SOMETHING I LOVE ...

Washi stickers. I adore stickers anyways. I like to decorate my journals with them. Add them to letters, cards, envelopes. I think I miss crafting.  I used to really like making my little art cards, but there is too much expense involved now as far as making them goes. Too much expense as far as doing any crafting. I would need to buy all the papers, glitter, glues, etc. again. Plus a much more expensive printer and special papers to print the art on etc. Rubber stamps, paper punches, etc. I had all of that stuff but do not any longer.  So it will just have to remain in the past as something I used to really like doing. I do have plenty of art supplies so I could continue to do that, plus my sewing, embroidering and crochet.



ITS GROWING ...

The blanket is growing. I had bought 15 balls of yarn, each a different color to do this one.  I am only three away from having used all the colors and then I will repeat.  I am not sure what I will use for the border color. We will just have to wait and see, probably the tomato as that is the yarn I have the most of.



I AM READING ...

The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon

"Crisp, mysterious and scary.... The Winter People has a consistently eerie atmosphere, and some of its darker supernatural flights are reminiscent of Stephen King." USA Today 

 Set in West Hall, Vermont, The Winter People weaves together the stories of two families living a century apart: Sara, a bereaved young mother in 1908, desperate to find solace after the sudden death of her little girl; and Ruthie, a young woman living in the same town, present day, who wakes up one morning to discover that she and her sister are alone--their mother, who never strays far, has gone missing. In this small New England town steeped in myth and superstition the lives of these women are drawn closer and closer by a fateful choice and long held secrets.

I finished my last book and am starting on this one. I used to love Steven King's books, but I have not read one for a very long time. Will see how I get on with this book. I hope that I enjoy it.



I AM WANTING TO COOK ...

These Hot Italian Sub Sliders look really tasty. The recipe is from Family Fresh Meals.  I really love sandwiches.  My Aunt Freda did as well.  I could eat sandwiches three times a day, but don't. In fact, I only ever have one now and then.  I am not sure why.  These look really good though.



SOMETHING TO WATCH ...

My Best Friend Anne Frank on Netflix. This is a real tear jerker It is based on the real-life relationship between Anne Frank and Hannah Goslar, from Nazi-occupied Amsterdam to their harrowing reunion in a concentration camp.  I think it is a good thing to remind ourselves frequently that things like this happened. We must never forget.


 

TRACING THE GOODNESS ...

Every day may not be a good day, but there is something good in every day. I firmly believe that.  At the end of each day I carefully trace over the goodness that the day just spent has held.  There is always something there, and I am always grateful for what it holds, even if it is something so small and tiny it might easily have been overlooked. Each day holds blessings waiting for us to discover and acknowledge them. The tender mercies of the Lord are there for us all and in abundance.  We need sometimes to train our hearts and eyes to look for them. It sometimes takes practice.  But if we persist, we will always find them.




A THOUGHT TO CARRY WITH YOU ...


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.Aren't you lovely
in all your heart conveys.
~Iva St.J-Whitman•。★★ 。* 。





IN THE KITCHEN ...

Today I am sharing a smaller sized version of Easy Baked Penne with Sausage. This is really delicious and very simple to make. Another small batch recipe.


And that is my daybook for this week.  Not as exciting as one would suppose, but life is not always all bells and whistles. I think there is much joy to be found in the every day pleasures of simple things. May you life be blessed likewise.  Don't forget  . . . 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

9 comments:

  1. I refuse those offers to up credit limits too. You home is going to be full of love for the next while, lovely to have family visit. We are having some hot days, and the smoke/haze has returned, though the smell is not as bad. Your afghan is coming along nicely, love the colours. I'm a sticker fan too, but lately don't send as much mail to use them up. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A house full of love is a good thing indeed! xoxo

      Delete
  2. What a nice summer you are having with kin visits etc...lovely!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had that same book, 365 Bedtime Stories, Marie. I loved it! I'm off to make Basil Pesto to have with pasta. Enjoy your afternoon. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore my book out Elaine! It was read so much! I bet your pesto and pasta was delicious! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  4. A good friend of mine is from Nova Scotia and she shared her hodge podge recipe with me. I made my own version. I was just talking to her and she mentioned the recipe, which reminded me that I hadn't mentioned it to you. Must be old timers syndrome! It is delicious and plan to make some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please tell how to make Hodge Podge as it sounds deeelish !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, you can find the recipe here, although today for some reason the photographs are not showing: https://www.theenglishkitchen.co/2011/07/hodge-podge-dinner-of-new-vegetables.html

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!