Wednesday 8 July 2020

Picnics . . .





picnic (noun):
an occasion when you take a meal with you to eat outside in an informal way, or the food itself:


As a picnic afficionado I have enjoyed many outdoor meals in my life. A picnic can be something as simple as grabbing a few pieces of bread and heading off on your bicycle with some well loved friend or as complicated as one of Hyacinth Bucket's reparian riverside delights. 


(source)


We never went on many picnics as a family, when I was a child. Not unless you considered Sunday School picnics. Those were special occasions with pony rides, three legged races and ribbon prizes . . .  with free hotdogs, all the soda pop you could drink . . .  and all the ice cream you could eat. All free for the asking.

My mother did not enjoy eating outdoors. She had a bug thing.  She was terrified of bees and ants and she didn't like sitting in the sunshine. Being outdoors was not her cup of tea. Not. At. All.

As children however, we spent all of our time out of doors. If we weren't sick and it wasn't raining, we were out of doors.


(source)  

The dandelion does not stop growing 
because it is told it is a weed. 
The dandelion does not care 
what others see. 
It says, “One day,
 they’ll be making wishes upon me.” 
~ B. Atkinson

One day, when I was about 11 years old, a friend and myself decided we were going to go on a picnic. We each grabbed a peanut butter sandwich from our respective moms, filled mayonaise jars with cool-aid, and took off on our bicycles for the great outdoors. 

(source)


We pedaled our little legs off. We rode here, there and everywhere.  Even up the South Mountain to Tremont, which was hard, hard, hard. We found a particularly beautiful spot on a hillside overlooking an old country church about halfway up the mountain to enjoy our picnic.

We sat there on the grass, insects humming, a gentle breeze ruffling our hair and cooling our overheated bodies, our legs aching from what seemed like miles of dirt road covered.  I don't think there was ever any finer peanut butter sandwiches eaten on this earth, or more appreciated.


  
(source

"Give me the splendid, silent sun
with all his beams a dazzling."
~Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Up on that hillside we shared our hopes and dreams of what we thought our lives would become. We laughed at things we thought were funny at the time and we busied ourselves in the innocence that only exists in childhood minds and souls. Satisfied, we gorged ourselves afterwards on green apples purloined from an old orchard.

I remember laying in bed that night, sun burnt and tired, yet happy. My tummy was sore from the green apples and my legs were aching, but somehow, all felt right in my little world.


(source)  

"The pause is as important as the note."
~Truman Fisher

Life is a bit like a picnic. We head out on our bicycles and pedal our legs off, sometimes seemingly getting nowhere.  We travel here, we travel there.  Sometimes we eat green apples. The moments we set aside to sit on the hill and rest and reflect . . . .  the moments we gorge ourselves with our hopes and dreams and accomplishments . . .  the warm memories . . .  those are the peanutbutter sandwiches, the picnic treats, the rewards of a life well spent.


(source)  

 Tomorrow is mom's birthday.  She would have been 88.  I remember on her 80th Birthday we had a little party for her at the Big Scoop back home.  We were home for Eileen and Tim's wedding. (Their anniversary was yesterday.) I was trying to think yesterday however did we afford to be able to do that. I had been out of work for two years by that point.  In any case, there was a huge turnout for mom's day. My brother was there with his two youngest girls, all of my children were there and their families. Cousins, Uncles, my ex and his wife, etc. 


I miss my mom.
More than words can ever say.
Oh how very blessed I was to have someone 
in my life that I could love and miss so very much.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
We all have two lives.
The second one starts 
when we realise 
that we only have one.
~Tom Hiddleston•。★★ 。* 。 


In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Quiche Stuffed Breakfast Bagels, for two.  Yummy yummy!


Have a wonderful Wednesday! Don't forget! 

 
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
 


And I do too!     
        


10 comments:

  1. Take care Marie..events trigger memories..thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique. We always miss our moms I think. xoxo

      Delete
  2. We went on lots of picnics when my children were growing up. We had lots of packs to go to where they could run and play to their hearts content and then eat our dinner outside. Picnics are one of my favorite summertime activities. You had a wonderful mom and some really good memories They do help us to as we miss them so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I am finally where I can think about her now without crying, well, most of the time anyways. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie, picnics are lovely. They don't have to be elaborate. As you say, a peanut butter sandwich eaten outside can be like ambrosia. You'll have lots of good memories of your Mom's birthday tomorrow and I'm sure a tear or two. When my mom was in a nursing home I packed a picnic every Tuesday. In the nice weather we ate at the picnic table outside. Never saw anyone else ever use it. We ate inside if the weather was bad. I would bring real china, a tablecloth, flowers in a vase and mom's favourites. Mom loved it and to be honest, so did we.
    We just had a thunder storm blow though and the temperature has dropped 10 degrees so it is much more comfortable. Hugs and love, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, tears are being shed, Elaine. Copious amounts. How wonderful that you got to enjoy picnics with your mom that way. I am sure she loved those special times with you and what beautiful memories you must have of them. Its always amazing the relief a thunderstorm brings in its wake. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  4. Well, I would have to vote with your mom...I NEVER EVER enjoyed eating outside...in fact, at times I ate in the car while the rest of my family ate outside. But then you see, they were not bothered by bees and wasps either. I had red hair and bees are very attracted...not till I turned to browns and grays has my life eased up in that regard. They were not content to buzz me...stinging is what they did, over and over. We once went camping with friends and for whatever reason, the man of that couple, even though mostly bald with some black hair was also bothered just like me. He and I spent a lot of time running for shade and cover to escape those nasty things...the rest laughing because they were not bothered so.
    Hugs, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind eating outside so long as the wasps and ants stay away! As an adult I can't stand to sit in full sunshine. It always hurts my eyes and wearing sunglasses makes me feel rather ill. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. Picnics are so much fun and I remember doing the same thing. Taking a picnic on your bike. My mother loved picnics so they were a regular thing in my life. Her fried chicken and potato salad were legendary. It was all so much fun. Right now, my husband and I try to go up in different canyons for a picnic each week. However, with Covid and people not really doing as asked; there are two many people out and about with no masks or social distancing. It's all rather sad for us. We have recently gone up to two lakes and haven't been able to get down to them because of too many people. We hope that things will be taken more seriously. Loved your thoughts on picnics today.
    My mother would be 104 on July 17th. She passed away 14 years ago. I think about her always and miss her so much. I don't know that it totally gets easier, I just have break down moments every once in a while.
    Sending loving thoughts, and big hugs your way dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are just too many people gathering everywhere LeAnn! One can't blame them for wanting to enjoy life, but at what cost. I am sure that it never gets easy having lost a mother. I break down more than I like to admit. I am grateful however for the Gospel and what it teaches us about eternal life. Can't wait to see her again! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!