Monday 9 October 2017

Monday ponderings . . .


Raise your hands if you wanted to be Marcia Brady! 


How about Lori Partridge?


Mary Richards? 

 
Cissy from A Family Affair?


Haley Mills?

  

Annette Funicello?


Sandra Dee?

 These were some of the role models of my childhood.  We won't talk about Aunt Bee (who I've turned into) or June Cleaver (who I try to channel).  These were the glamor girls of my pre-teen/teenage years.  They were feisty, smart, pretty, fashionable, fun, very well behaved for the most part, and they had the best clothes.  There were a couple who had some challenges in their personal lives I know, but their public personas were something that I looked up to.  Marcia got to meet Davy Jones! (I wanted to marry him.)  Lori Partridge's brother was Keith aka David Cassidy!  (drool worthy pin-up) Mary Richards had a great job, pretty clothes and a really cool apartment! Cissy had a gorgeous wardrobe and Uncle Bill. (Hubba hubba!) Haley lived in a magical world and had really cute clothes also! Annette was a member of the Micky Mouse Club and she had Frankie Avalon and fun on the beach!  And Sandra Dee . . .  what didn't she have?  Pretty clothes, fun on the beach, surfing, Troy Donahue and in her real life Bobby Darin. 

  

Don't get me started on Sally Field, Gidget and the Flying Nun.

When I was in elementary school, I can remember watching the kids in high school get off their school bus, and they seemed to be so cool, the girls so sophisticated and fashionable.  I know that the reality was probably quite different. I used to watch A Go Go '66 with Robbie Lane and the Disciples on Friday nights and dream about having gogo boots. 

  

I can remember watching American Bandstand when we could get it, but we all watched Canadian Bandstand to catch up on the latest music and dance steps.  For us it was on Saturday afternoons.  It was broadcast from Kitchener/Waterloo.  Some of the same kids would be there every week and I remember one particular boy in particular on it that I had a crush on and would hope that I would see each week.  

I don't know where I am going with this, except to say that we were all pretty innocent back then. These role models we looked up to were pretty good people, and set great examples for us for the most part. I don't remember anything being really nasty.  It really was a charmed era in so very many ways. At least it was for me.  I sometimes wonder who or what the kids of today have to look up to or forward to.  It must be pretty scary for them sometimes.  Its pretty scary for me sometimes and I've been around the block more than a few times! 

I had an idea of how my life was going to work out, and it hasn't worked out to be anywhere near that ideal that I had in my mind. 


I don't think anyone's could. 

All told though, I have had a very, very good life.  And I guess the best part of it is that its been real.  All of it.  The good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between. It hasn't been some romanticised ideal from someone else's imagination. Somewhere along the line my romanticised ideals took a hike and I was able to embrace the reality and to fall in love with that.  And as I sit here this morning I can recognise just how very, very blessed I have been and I am.  First of all to have had the luxury of having had that blessed childhood with all of its imaginations.  I was lucky to be able to dwell on things like that instead of being hungry, or afraid, or in a war zone, or in an abusive home, etc.  I was brought up in a country where I had the right to be me.  To have my own thoughts. To do my own thing. To be my own person. To make my own choices. To have my own rights and freedoms.  Free health care.  I have had free health care all of my life.  I have never had to make a choice between eating or going to the Doctor.  I have always had the right to vote in Democratic Elections. I've always been able to be proud that I am a woman.   I've always been able to worship my God freely as I choose to worship Him, or not worship as the case may be.  I've always had clean water to drink and I was educated from an early age until my late teens with no cost at all.  A free education.  Its a blessing we all in the Western World take for granted, and some of us even throw away.  I have always had the luxury of having a pet to bring extra joy into my life . . .  a cat or a dog, and oftimes both.  I've been safe from the elements, and always clothed adequately.  Maybe not fashionably, but that is a true luxury when many in the world have only rags to cover their bodies with, and some not even that. My babies came home from the hospital clothed and wrapped in blankets, to warm homes and lives of privledge.  Many others go home wrapped in newspaper because that is all that their mothers have, and even the newspaper is a gift. Many in the world don't have a choice about what they are going to eat, or even if they are going to eat.  I get to cook every day and enjoy a huge variety of options.  If I go to bed hungry, its a choice I've made and nothing else. To many in the world I, little old me . . .  would be the "ideal" person, living the "ideal" dream life.

It is a good thing sometimes to sit and count your blessings
where you find them, and never ever take them
for granted.

You never know when
you might lose them.

Instead of saying "Why me?" sometimes
we need to be asking ourselves 
"Why not me?"

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°The greatest test of faith is when
you don't get what you want,
but still you are able to say
Thank you.
~Unknown   •。★★ 。* 。 


 

In the kitchen today  . . .  Green Beans with Shallots, Lemon & Thyme.  Simply delicious. 

May your week ahead be filled with a multitude of blessings, may your cup runneth over.  Don't forget along the wy of your week,


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!


 


8 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, Wow! That got my brain going on a quiet Monday morning! You are so right though, we are so blessed for being born where we have and should never ever take it for granted. I must admit I've never been a 'why me' person. I've never asked that question. I realise good and bad happen to everyone and that nobody's 'good and bad' is the same as anybody else's. I am so grateful for what I have. I also realise that I don't understand why all the bad things happen but that one day it will all come clear. Lot's of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a hymn we sing in church Kate, "Because I have been given much." I think it is really important to have people in need in our world. That is how we learn to love and to serve. I am just glad that I am on the being able to serve end of the deal! Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Marie we should be thankful...and I am! I would like to have been Annett!
    Happy Thanksgiving Monday!🍂🌻🍂 Di

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh Di, wasn't she lovey and a really nice person as well. Love you and Happy Thanksgiving! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last night we were with our family..and Adamo was there..18 and I have to say he is one of those wondeful boys..young men.
    He is such a great role model for the Littles who are getting big..I am not sure they know that..but I feel he is groing up so well:)

    I am happy I had the life I did too..albeit I had worries..my dad.. my weight..all things that affected me..but a good life ..a good good life..and I loved all those shows:)AB I recall vaguely..I remember watching it but I don't know whatt I was into because it wasn't a must watch for me..
    Fun memories..Perfect words for TG Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ir is good to sit and count your blessings. The times we grew up in were definitely more innocent times. Now the children know a lot more than they should and most of it isn't worth the knowing, but sadly they do. I feel they get robbed of their childhood in many ways. Such changing times are hard to see for me. Thankfully though my grandchildren have happy lives and loving parents. Makes a big difference for sure. Happy Monday to you! May it be a blessed one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks sweet friend for some awesome thoughts today. We are blessed in so many ways. It is a wonderful thingmto do a refelction on all the blessings we do have and I do that often. I feel so blessed.
    I loved reading about all of the TV and movie characters of our time. I too watched all most all those same shows. I do have to day that Bobby Darin was a favorite of mine. My husband and I have the song; "Blud Velvet" as our theme song. Mainly, because in our Senior year of High School we went to a prom. My mother made my dress out of Blue Vellvet and then later on my husband made a jewlery box for me and lined the drawers with the left over blue velvet material.
    Oh, you did bring back some sweet memories to me today.
    Sending you lots of love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you have lovely grandchildren Monique and its really special that the littles have the older ones to look up to as fine examples! How wonderful that you were all together for Thanksgiving. I wish! Maybe one day! Life is certainly a mix of ups and downs, but I like to think at the end of our lives we will see that it was all just perfect. Love and hugs! xoxo

    I do think they get robbed of their childhoods today Pam and it makes me sad. I hope you had a nice weekend. God bless, xoxo

    LeAnn, I loved reading about your blue velvet dress and the jewelry box Roger made for you lined with the same fabric. How simply wonderful. Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!