Thursday 14 September 2017

My favourite things . . .

 

These are a few of my favourite things.  Maybe some of them are yours too! 


Vintage Recipes.  Not all of them are bad.  Most can be redeemed with a bit of tweaking.  One of my favourite cookbooks is a really old one from the early 1950's called the Money Saving Cookbook. It was my mothers and I practically wore it out by devouring it every time I went home to visit.  (A fixation that began when I was a child)  So much so that she finally gave it to me. Some of our favourite meals have been inspired by that book. The cooktimes for the vegetables are a bit off, well . . .  WAY off, but with today's knowledge and yesterday's inspiration, this is a handy dandy source of inspired good eating!  


Blythe Dolls.  I don't have one, but I totally adore them.  I could sit and look at pictures of them for hours. I am not sure why I have this fixation with them.  They have big heads and tiny bodies, and big beautiful eyes.  In a way they remind me of the art that was quite popular when I was a teenager and that I liked.

  

I am sure if you are of a certain age, you remember it too.   I seem to recall several wearing court jester outfits.   Hmmm . . . 

 
 
  
Children's books featuring humanized animals doing human types of things.  They were my favourites when I was a child and my favourites for reading to my own children.   I am not sure why, but I adore these types of things.  Maybe I live in a fantasy world, where animals are people too.


The new Amazon commercial featuring a baby that is afraid of the family dog, but who loves her stuffed lion toy.  Dad orders a lions mane from amazon for the dog and presto chango, the baby loves the dog and makes friends with it. 

  

Cute baby.  Cute Dog.  Great advert.  I am not usually fond of adverts.  I find them hugely loud and annoying, but I do like this one. 


Speaking of adverts, I adore the British Christmas ads put out by the major retail stores each year.  Especially the Waitrose and M&S ones.  They are usually very touching and sweet.   Having said that, I also adore 


The British Gas Penguin.  I love him.  Hes sweet and endearing and I would love to have me one of those.  Why are penguins so cute??  

  

Tiny houses.  I like to look at them and dream.  I like to think I could live in one, but actually I probably couldn't.  Not unless I had a very big shed, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a tiny house I guess . . . but I do love tiny houses. 


Diamond Solitaire earrings.  I especially love these drop ones.  I don't really like stud earrings that much.  I prefer drops.  I love diamonds . . .  well anything sparkly really.  These tick all my boxes.

  

I love watching Ballet.  It is such an elegant form of dance.  I have never been to a real ballet, just seen it on the television, although, having said that . . .  The Canadian National Ballet came to Acadia University when I was going there and somehow my ex husband and I got to meet some of the dancers and go to a party for them after their performance.  I can't quite remember how that happened, but I do remember seeing them perform and going to this party. The Dancers were all so beautiful, thin  and sophisticated looking.


 
One of my favourite jobs I ever had was as a waitress.  I loved the interplay and exchange between myself and the customers.  I am a people person, so that job was right up my alley. I love waitressing, which is kind of odd really because I am a somewhat shy person.  Well, not so much these days, but I was really shy when I was younger! I have a lot more confidence now!


I have always loved Little House on the Prairie.  We have the whole series on DVD and watch them often.  I especially love the earlier years.   They are sweet, sweet shows with very little violence, no swearing, no nudity or sex.  They are just nice, nice viewing. I like nice, nice viewing.  Monique you were right about Lillihammer.  It got too violent for us and we had to stop watching it.

I also hate it when every second word in a show is the "F" word.  Its so not necessary.  I don't believe people really talk like that in real life, or maybe I am a bit deluded.   


I need tomove to Cedar Cove.

  

Or stars Hollow . . . 


Okay, so I really want to live in Edgartown on Martha's Vineyard.

A gal can dream.

It just looks like my kind of town.

 

The kind of town where you could smell snow.

I could be the town's eccentric character.  The fat lady with the crazy hair
and bright nails.

Wearing diamond solitaire earrings, and flowing caftan, clicking her red heels together as she dances down the street with the autumn leaves. 
Sigh  . . . 


And those are a few of my favourite things for this week. I need to get my skates on.  My friend Tina's house is being fumigated today and they have to be out of the house for 8 hours so they are coming early, early and spending the day here.  We are going to go to Costco and let the guys wander about while we buy some things I need, and then we are going to have hotdogs for lunch and then come back here and visit until they can go back to their place.  Sounds like a positively brilliant day and its going to begin soon, so I best be out of here and on the go!

A thought to carry with you . . .

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°You won't get anything unless you ask for it,
And if you ask for it and you don't get it,
maybe it wasn't worth having in the first place.
Some things are just never meant to be,
no matter how much we wish they were.
~The Gilmore Girls •。★★ 。* 。 


 

In The English Kitchen today . . .  another one of my favourite things.  Roast Chicken and Sage & Onion Dressing.  

Hope your day is filled with a lot of your favourite things!  Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too! 


 



3 comments:

  1. Good morning Marie,

    It sounds like you have a huge day to get through. I am wondering if Costco in the UK is very different to the one in Queensland? I hope you have the very best day.

    Yesterday I received the program for next from the Queensland Ballet. I am talking to mu and Will about buying the girls a season ticket. They would get an under 30 discount and a season discount too. I think it would make gift giving easy.

    How I wish I lived in a place where we had true seasons. I have foolish stayed close to family and I really regret this now. But in life there is no rewind. I would like to live in a snug little home where I saw the elements while I was by a fire or if I chose I could explore a wintery, spring like, cool summers and autumnal world. Maybe one day.

    Little Mia seems to growing visibly. She feels a little heavier but we won't know until Monday. Her cry has changed but she hardly does that. She seems to want to feed all day but sleeps well at night. Pip is so good with her. Connor is too, I wish we were close enough for you to cuddle her while she is still so wee.

    God bess,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely day for you. Not nice your friends home had to be fumigated but nice they can visit with you. I've never been to a Costco store but did get an ad recently for a free 30 day membership so I'm thinking I might just try it out. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that would be lovely Suzan. Holding a wee one. I never got to hold any of my grandchildren when they were wee, and even now there is one I have yet to meet in person. Enjoy these moments for all that they are! oxoxo

    Oh, you can't hurt by trying it out Pam! Happy Thursday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!