Thursday 16 January 2014

Much ado about nothing . . .

  photo 1511264_10152064033474523_1620974119_n_zps61a5e2f0.jpg

If we are really lucky we have a few friends like this in our lives.   You know the kind I mean.   You can go years and years without talking to them or seeing them, and then when you do, it is as if time stood still and not a moment has passed, and everything is the same as it ever was.  I've been so blessed to have a few of these kinds of friends and I was going to tell you a bit about each ont here this morning, but after thinking about it I thought better of it.   Someone might feel left out and I would never want that to happen and so I won't.   Let it just suffice to say that  I am blessed with loving friendships . . . some new, some old, all precious to me!

I was very late getting up this morning.  Almost an hour later than I usually do.   I hate it when that happens because it puts me way behind in my schedule for the day.  I must have really needed it though.  I remember waking up at four o'clock and saying to myself, I had another two hours of sleep to come and next thing I knew I was waking up and I had slept a further three hours!  Maybe I get up too early normally and my body is trying to tell me something?  I don't know!  But it's happened more than a few times lately.

 photo 1530495_10152063610354523_466536340_n_zps443d7d64.jpg

Now this is my kind of "To Do" list!  I can see room for improvement here.    I was thinking about a friend of mine recently who always seems to do whatever it is she is asked do willingingly and without complaint.  She just mucks in and gets the job done.   I thought to myself, how very much I would like to be more like that.   Just mucking in and getting the job done without feeling any type of negativity in my heart.   I am sure that any job done with a willing heart is a lot more pleasant to cope with rather than doing it with a shred of resentment in the heart.   I thought of the many times I had to scrub the floors at the manor or polish the silver and copper and about how much I had disliked doing those things and how much more pleasant the chores and time would have been had I been a bit more happy to do them.    So that is a "To Do" that I am going to add to this list . . . "Work with a smile on your face and a song in your heart."  It's a job that is going to have to be done anyways, might as well enjoy it while you are doing it.

  photo 1524792_10152063268179523_651228424_n_zps6ac14b2f.jpg

It has been proven that laughter is good medicine and that people are generally speaking quite happy people do live longer than people who are not.   Of course there are exceptions to the rule as with anything.   I think that some people are just naturally happier than others . . . but I also think that happy is a decision that we consciously make each day of our lives.  It's that old glass being half full or half empty thing.  We decide ourselves which glass we are going to drink from.   I choose to drink from the half full one.  I know that the water level will go down from time to time when I drink from it, but I also know that I have the power in me to fill it back up again.  I choose happy.

 photo 1535487_10152063597524523_130851216_n_zps091ba17c.jpg

You can't stop life from happening, or hold the days back from moving on.  Each day passes and a new one is given and the years pass by one after another.    There are good days and bad days.   Some days are filled with sunshine and some with rain.  Bad things happen to good people, but good things happen to good people too.  The sun shines down on the righteous and the wicked in equal measure, and likewise the rain falls in the same measures.   The difference to be had is in attitude and how we handle what we are given.   We can choose abundance and seek it in the small and simple things of every day life, or we can spend our lives yearning for things that are always just out of our reach, or by being blind to the blessings which are already ours.  Contentment is a gift we give ourselves.  Today I choose to be content.  How about you?

Instead of looking at the loaf of bread Todd picked up at the shops which has a sell by date for the day he picked it up, and bemoaning the fact that he could have gotten a fresher loaf, I will be grateful that I have a husband who picks up bread at all, and look for something to make with stale bread.

Instead of looking at the milk I spilt on the kitchen floor and crying about it, I will be grateful in my heart that I did not spill it on the carpet.  It is much easier to clean it up off a floor than a carpet.

Instead of dwelling on my knees and hip that ache and groan, causing me great pain with each step that  I take, I will be grateful that I can take a step at all and rejoice in steps taken.

I can look at all of those rich and famous people who seemingly have every thing they could ever want and yet who really don't have the things in life that count the most and I can be grateful that I am surrounded by people who love and care about ME, and not who I am or what I have, or what I can do for them.

Life can be very good, if you choose to have a very good life.  

My much ado about nothing just became a much ado about something.    I am smiling . . . are you?

A thought to carry with you through today . . .

✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿  ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿

One of the most tragic things I know
about human nature is that all of us
tend to put off living.
We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden
over the horizon, instead of enjoying
the roses blooming outside our windows today."
~ Dale Carnegie


✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿  ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿





Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Pork Chops with Apples, Sage and Stilton.

My visiting teachers are coming this afternoon.  I am happy about that.   I love it when they visit.
You all have a good day now!  Be happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!