Monday 2 May 2011

Hope . . .



Hope is the thing with feathers

That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all.

Hope is like a glorious light at the end of a dark tunnel, a multi-faceted, brilliant dimension of life, indescribable and at the same time undeniable.

You find it in many places . . . unearthed in the darkness of hospital wards, care homes, funeral homes, rehabilitation centres, prison cells, abuse centres, counselor's offices . . . indeed in just about every arena of life.

Although it may seem elusive and out of our range . . . it is in fact something that is widely available to the rich and the poor alike . . . thanks to Jesus Christ.


And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I wish that I could drape my own hope around my neck, like a beacon to all who can see it . . . so that they could be drawn to the dazzle and hope that is my own faith in the Saviour. But then again . . . when I think about it, that is exactly what happens when we live out our faith, despite any hardships and opposition that might come our way. When, what might look and seem impossible to all, suddenly glistens with hope, showing to others an example which demands them to observe and then ask questions.

Hope is that thing which shines out amidst the background of despair, pain, failure and loss. I think of the examples of Corrie ten Boom's life lived out in a German Death Camp . . . and the life of Mother Teresa which consisted of living amongst the poorest and sickest of India's thrown away society. Their hope shone like diamonds, and even today . . . long after their deaths, it continues to shine and glitter with the hope of Christ.

And then I think of my good friend Lura, who has spent the last 38 days in a hospital bed, after an accident which should have killed her, enduring and suffering unimaginable pain, and the strength of her testimony and hope in the Saviour which has helped, and still helps to carry her through and above all that she has had to endure.



I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
~Emily Dickenson

Hope is a diamond. It glitters and sparkles, enhanced by the velvet backdrop of pain and suffering which we must all endure at one time or another in this lifetime we, each of us , pass through. It is the smile that breaks through every tear drop, and studs our lives with joy.

I am so very grateful for the hope in my life, which comes through my faith in the Saviour, and in Heavenly Father's plan for me . . . and for the examples of good people around me who are able to express their hope through their faith as well. It is an incredible gift, and priceless.



For the test of the heart is trouble,
And it always comes with the years,
And the smile that is worth
The praises of earth,
Is the smile that shines through the tears.
~Unknown

We are off on a drive this afternoon to some abby or some such with some close and dear friends of ours. The sun is shining spectacularly, and it promises to be a beautiful day. I hope it shines where you are too, if not in the sky, then in your hearts.





*Breakfast Quesadillas*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

A tasty breakfast Quesadilla served with a tangy coriander cream dip!

1/2 cup sour cream
2 TBS chopped coriander (cilantro)
1 tsp finely chopped fresh garlic

For the Quesadillas:
3 8-inch flour tortillas
3 TBS butter, softened
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red and green bell peppers
6 large free range eggs, beaten
6 slices of streaky bacon, cooked until crisp
6 slices of American cheese, each slice cut in half

Whisk together all of the dip ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.


Brush 1 side of each tortilla with about 2 tsp of the butter. Place the tortillas onto a cutting board, buttered-side down.

Melt the remaining butter in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and peppers, and cook, stirring, until vegetables are crisply tender. Add the beaten eggs and continue cooking, lifting gently and stirring slightly to allow uncooked portions to flow underneath, until the eggs are set. Remove the pan from the heat.

To assemble the quesadillas, place 2 halves of cheese over half of each tortilla. Layer each with 1/3 of the eggs, 2 slices of bacon and 2 more halves of cheese. Fold other half of tortilla over filling. Press down slightly. Heat another 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Add each quesadilla and cook, turning once, until lightly browned.

Cut each quesadilla in half and serve one half to each person along with some of the dip. Delicious!



Over in The English Kitchen this morning I'm cooking up a delicious Baby Gem and Green Bean Salad with a Proscuitto and Prune Dressing! Seriously scrummy.

5 comments:

  1. wise words as always Marie. we are so fortunate to have the knowledge that we have a loving Father... HAve a lovey day today. It is Monday so my best pal Pam will be over. I have just bought a new camera so Pam is having my other one so today is practise photography day !!
    Love Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must continue to pray and never give up Hope Marie.I pray Lura is soon well enough to be home with her loved ones again.Enjoy a beautiful day out with friends and your lovely Todd.Cuddles to Mitzy,I hope she is good if she isn't going with you (Chew Chew ) He-heee,it's sunny here too,but very windy and it makes it quite chilly.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL sentiments and photo to begin the week, Marie... Have a lovely day out with your friends! YUM to these breakfast quesadilla--must try! ;o) Happy Week, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS (((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once you choose hope, anything's possible. What a beautiful post to start the week, Marie.

    I hope you had a lovely day out at the abbey - there are so many wonderful historical sites in England that you are spoiled for choice :-) And I hope your lovely spring weather continues.

    Those breakfast quesadillas would make a lovely light brunch or supper dish and are a lovely twist on the normal bacon and eggs. Your recipes are always full of imaginative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.... do I feel honored that you would mention me in the same post that you use Corrie and Mother Teresa as examples. I surely am not in their league but it is sweet of you to mention me. It is true that I am trying hard to trust in the Lord and be optimistic and hopeful.
    I have not felt well today. I hope that I perk up in time to travel home Thursday.
    Those quesadillas have my mouth watering. Hospital food does not measure up to those.
    I hope you had a great day out. I hope you are feeling well.
    Much love, Lura

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!