Monday 7 March 2011

Doors . . .



There are many kinds of doors . . . some look very inviting and speak a warm welcome . . . others repel the glances of a walker by.



There are friendly cottage doors with a cosy homely air . . . doors where the adjacent walls are filled with tangled roses, clinging as if they long to linger there . . . come in, come in, they seem to say.



Doors of churches . . . hallowed doors . . . doors which, too, seem to invite one to enter in and to worship. Doors which inspire one to song and to praise, and which bid or should bid a warm welcome as well.



There are doors to learning . . . to Schools and Universities. These too, should inspire and weave a love of learning about all those who enter in. It is such a priviledge to be able to do so freely. Tis a pity so many take this for granted . . .



The warmest doors of all are the doors to your heart, where hopefully any visitor will find a swift response of sympathy, a word of welcome . . . warm and kind, a sit and stay a spell . . .
Those are the best doors of all!

Had a wierd night's sleep last night. I spent the whole last two hours dreaming about cooking breakfast for my ex FIL who has been dead for about 22 years now. It just wasn't working out, the top of the stove kept closing down on it. What should have been a doddle was being a real challenge! Dreams are funny things aren't they? I may just go back to bed, coz I still feel tired!

Before I do though here's a tasty new recipe for Salisbury Steak that I tried at the weekend. I got it from the Kraft site. I borrowed their picture too because mine was not very appealing. Meat doesn't seem to photograph well sometimes. Nevermind. It tasted wonderful! Todd really enjoyed, but then . . . he is a real meat and potatoes man!!




*Salisbury Steak*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Classic comfort food with a tangy mushroom gravy. What's not to like??

1 1/2 lb of extra lean ground beef
1 package of stuffing mix
1 1/2 cups of water, divided
3/4 cup of chopped onions
8 ounces of fresh mushrooms sliced
1/2 cup of barbeque sauce

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Spray a 10 by 15 inch baking pan with some nonstick spray and set aside.

Place the meat into a bowl and mix together with the stuffing mix, 1 1/4 cups of water and the onions, until wel blended. Shape into 6 (1/2 inch thick) oval patties. Place on the baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes, until done.

While the meat is cooking, spray a large nonstick skillet with some more cooking spray. Add the mushrooms and cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes, until tender. Add the barbeque sauce and remaining 1/4 cup of water. Simmer on low for several minutes until heated through.

Serve the meat with the sauce spooned over top. We like mashed potatoes and green beans with this!



In The English Kitchen today, delicious Bacon and Egg Breakfast Muffins.


8 comments:

  1. Aren't dreams the craziest things? I just heard the other day that somehow our drams are directly related to what happened the day before and if you wake up from a good one and want to resume it, try not to move out of the position you are in. So say the dream experts anyway.

    I hope you have been able to go back to sleep. I am still up because I cannot stop coughing. I got a cold and the cold itself has been mild but the coughing is not good at all. I made it all the way through church and then had a complete attack during the closing prayer. I had to walk out in the middle of the prayer. Embarrassing!

    XOXO...B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreams are such odd things. I was dreaming last night as well and I am not one who usually dreams...I dreamt that my dear friend in Elie in Scotland was having to have her leg chopped off !!! I must phone her later today...
    Like Todd I too would love the recipe...never thought of adding a stuffing mix. It is one I will have to try out for sure. Sun shining brightly this morning although there is a white frost..
    Love Sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dreams can be exhausting and that one sounds draining. I hope you have a peaceful day after such a sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Salisbury Steak does sound good using the stuffing mix. I always use bread crumbs but will have to try this recipe. Now I'll have to check out your breakfast sandwich recipe too. You always seem to find some unique twists to recipes. I hope your Monday is a wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doors and dreams... they can both be crazy things! I had some odd dreams in the night Saturday. I notice that if I eat too soon before going to bed, I have odd dreams! Do hope you get some good rest now...Nothing worse than a bad night's sleep. I'm not feeling to swift myself today either. I'm knackered after so much spring cleaning last week, and now more of it on tap for this week too. All went well with Charlie to the vet Friday, but still, it was stressful...LOL! A busy week ahead here for us too. I'm racing through laundry & chores as we're going to hubby's folks this evening. A busy week ahead... But I think I should have a bit of free time Wednesday if you have time to chat on line, or maybe via phone. :o) Let me know! Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dreams can be so strange -- and keep you from getting a good nights rest. Recipe looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm with you. . .i'm going back to sleep. i just put ammon down for his morning nap and cali is watching her morning tv! :)

    beautiful post!! doors are a neat thing. joey took a beautiful baptism picture of aubrey opening this huge wooden door-symbolizing her opening the door to eternal life by taking the first step-baptism. it was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It always amazes me that you can take something simple like a door and make a thoughtful and inspiring post out of it. ..... and the pictures that you find to go with each post topic are always so perfect and beautiful. You are an amazing blogger...but then you are an amazing person.

    I almost never have "good" dreams. I am always trying to accomplish something ,like you were in your dream last night, and I am having great difficulty...... or..... I'm trying to get somewhere important, usually to teach my college class, and I can't find the room.... it is almost time for class to start and I'm lost in long hall ways of classrooms and none of them are mine. ????? OK...I know I'm nuts.

    I have lean ground beef, stuffing mix and fresh mushrooms on hand today. Guess what I am going to fix for dinner??? However, John is not too fond on BBQ sauce. Do you think it would taste ok if I made a brown gravy sauce to use with the mushrooms instead of BBQ sauce?... or does it need the BBQ sauce to "perk" up the meat?


    Have a good evening. I'm sending love. Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!