Tuesday 1 March 2011

The Simple Woman's Day book



FOR TODAY, March 1st, 2011...

Outside My Window...

It's cold and overcast, but at least it's not raining. Not yet anyways!

I am thinking...
I am 55 years old. How did that happen? It seems like just yesterday I was 19 and getting married, and then I blinked and I was 26 and had 4 children, with three in diapers . . . and then I blinked again and I was 33 and having another child . . . I blinked again and I was an empty nester . . . another blink and I had my first grandchild and woa, I blinked the other day and I had five grandsons and a newborn grand daughter! And somewhere in there I fit in three husbands and living in 18 different locations, not to mention 5 different jobs! Isn't life funny! You never know where it is going to take you next . . . or how quickly it is going to go. Cherish every moment!

I am thankful for...
All the many, many blessings in my life. Home and family, love and friendships, my health and my faith, and getting to share it all with my Todd and Mitzie. Life is good.

From the kitchen...
I've got some of those little cakes I made yesterday (see below) but not a lot else. I am trying to be good, although it doesn't seem to be working very well. Food keeps getting in my mouth. Funny how that goes!

I am wearing...
A nightie, some jim jam bottoms, my robe. Layering to keep warm.

I am creating...
Still working on new designs. My first set should be out on the shopping channel QVC, this month. I'm very excited about that and I can't wait to tell you the day!! As soon as I know it, YOU will know it!

Other than that I am having fun playing with my doll's house and getting ready for Easter. I should have a few things to show you soon!


I am going...
Not a lot planned this week. Primary meetings, dinner date with friends, Missionaries for tea on Friday. We are taking Mitzie to be groomed today. It's the first time since before Christmas and she is badly in need of a trim! She is looking like a furry little yeti!

I am reading...




The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls

Ever thought your family was wierd???? I bet they are nothing at all like this family. With every page I turn, I am astonished by what I read.

"The Glass Castle" is a stunning memoir, both humorous and shocking about Walls' unorthodox upbringing. Her parents were extremely unconventional. They moved the children around frequently, always in search of a new adventure (or in many cases, running away from authorities). With a fantastic storytelling knack, Walls describes the father that was her childhood hero, even though he did have the tendency to "drink a bit" and her go-with-the flow, artistic mother. The Walls children learned to support themselves, eating out of trashcans at school or painting their skin so the holes in their pants didn't show. Buck-toothed Jeannette even tried making her own braces when she heard what orthodontia cost. One by one, each child escaped to New York City. Still, it wasn't long before their parents appeared on their doorsteps. "Why not?" Mom said. "Being homeless is an adventure.

I in turn want to slap the parents and hug the children. An interesting read, but also quite frustrating and annoying, but still you go back to read more, because you can't not find out what happens next!

I am hoping...
That little Maryn will be a bridge of healing between my daughter and myself. At least that is what I am praying for.

I am hearing...
Early morning sounds . . . the house cracking and snapping as it comes alive. Clocks ticking. Walls creaking . . . cars passing by the front of the house . . . the honk of the taxi's horn. The world is coming alive. The birds are singing more and more in the mornings . . . a sure sign that spring is just around the corner, and I am thinking we are all needing more than a little bit of that!! My daffodils are blooming at any rate!

Around the house...
Not a lot to do really. There is laundry drying on the air dryer that I need to take down and put into the ironing basket. I wish we had a clothes dryer, but then we have no where to put one so . . . once the warmer, drier weather comes we can hang our wash outside. Nothing smells better than laundry that has been hung out to dry, and they also don't seem to need as much ironing either!

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...
I plan on playing with my doll's house at some point, and working on my designs and then just the ordinary stuff that life is made from. A bit of this and a bit of that. Life is good.


Here is picture thought I am sharing...



This is a picture that I took last year of some the crocus blooming in the village of Brenchley, in the month before we moved . . . I don't think I was even aware on that day that we would soon be moving. It is amazing how quickly your life can change. I miss the beauty of the countryside and our friends at church . . . and Jess . . . but I don't miss anything else, not the people I worked with, or the people I worked for. Not my job. At the time if you had told me that all the upset would be well worth it in the end, I might not have quite believed you . . . it seemed pretty horrendous, but it's been the best thing ever. Not the losing Jess bit . . . but getting out of there and away from those horrible people. Now, instead of secretly crying every day . . . my heart sings.

And just as a closing thought for today . . .

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul;
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me, in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil;
My cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

~ the 23rd Psalm

I memorized this piece back when I was about 11 years old. Oh how many times through the years have these words brought me comfort and solace. They are just beautiful, and I love them. I am glad that I stored them in my heart.

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!

Here's a tasty meal that makes good use of leftovers. Sometimes you can get bags of peppers on sale at the grocery store for really cheap. This is a perfect way to use them up. I always make lots of sauce when I am doing spaghetti. I keep the excess in freezer containers in the freezer. That way I always have some at hand to use in delicious recipes just like this one!



*Stuffed Peppers*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

A rather tasty way of using up leftover spaghetti sauce!

4 sweet bell peppers (red, green, yellow etc.)
2 TBS olive oil
sea salt
3 cups of leftover meat sauce for spaghetti
1/2 cup couscous
3/4 cup of raisins
3/4 cup grated asiago or fontina cheese
4 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
2 TBS tomato paste

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and ribs and discard. Toss them together with 1 TBS of the oul and some salt in a large bowl. Cover and cook in the microwave until they begin to soften. This will take 10 to 12 minutes.

While the peppers are softening mix together the meat sauce, couscous, raisins, 1/2 cup of the cheese, 3 tsp of the vinegar, the parsley and 1/4 tsp of salt in a bowl. Set aside.

Whisk the remaining 1 TBS of olive oil and 1 tsp of vinegar, along with the tomato paste, and 3/4 cup of water. Pour into the bottom of a large glass baking dish. Place the peppers, cut side up in the baking dish on top of this mixture. Fill with the couscous mixture and then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.

Cover the dish with foil and bake for about 20 minutes, until the peppers are tender and the filling is hot. Serve on heated plates with some of the sauce drizzled over top.



In The English Kitchen today, in honor of St David's Day, Welsh Cheesecakes!


7 comments:

  1. Hi, dear Marie! Getting here earlier for a change... Have a cuppa break before digging into some spring cleaning here at home. I read that books in fits and starts too--those parents...gggrrr... LOVE the stuffed peppers today--YUM! And thinking what a wonderful thing that would be--new, sweet Maryn as the glue to healing the broken relationship with your daughter--oh, I hope so!! :o) Happy Day, my friend--LOVE YOU LOTS!! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life sure does bring a lot of changes into our lives. You are still so very young so i'm sure there will be many more coming your way. Our attitude as we face those new horizons is what makes all the difference. I hope your Tuesday is a terrific one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stuffed peppers recipe reminds me of my dear mother-in-law who loved them so and made wonderful ones. I hate green peppers but I loved hers. I only ate the filling though. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Marie QVC?! That sounds a fabulous opportunity how exciting for you - I cant wait to read more about that! I am thinking a lot about moving and big changes ahead at the moment, with gratitude ... if a little trepidation (!) so thank you for sharing - kisses Kitty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, I loved your post today. It is interesting how you just turn around and there you are in a new stage of life. I find the Empty Nest a good time for many other adventures. I can hardly wait to see your designs on QVC. You are very talented.
    I wish I could steal you a way to cook for me. I am really excited about the stuffed pepper recipe. I love stuffed peppers.
    It it wonderful that we can have a favorite scriptures to get us through the hard moments of life.
    You deserve a lot of love and hugs!
    Blessings and hugs to you today!LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummmm -- stuffed peppers and cheese cakes -- sounds wonderful. I'm 55 as well and sometimes I don't recognize my own reflection -- "who IS that old woman"!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that your heart sings at the end of your days now instead of silently crying. I am happy that you don't have to put up with those unkind people any more. That is a blessing.
    Have a good day. Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!