Wednesday, 5 August 2026

Wednesday Witterings . . .

 

 I was able to get to the mall yesterday and got to the phone store (thank you Cindy!) and got my phone sorted out. The problem was the VPN I had on it. Apparently you don't need a VPN on an iPhone. They have their own encryption. So in any case, it is sorted now and working great. Crisis averted and it didn't cost me anything for a change!

Also, to get to the phone store we took a shortcut through the pet store and I was able to get the right cat food, the one that Cinnamon will eat, so another problem was solved! 


 


On the way home Cindy and I stopped at the farm market. I picked up  a couple of ears of fresh sweetcorn, some new potatoes and beans. I got a nice loaf of walnut and cranberry sourdough bread as well. The sweetcorn was $1 an ear. I can remember way back when you could get a Baker's Dozen of sweetcorn for $1, and that was in the mid 90's. We used to buy it on the side roads in Southern Ontario when we were living in Georgetown. Corn farmers would have wagons set up and they would be loaded with fresh sweetcorn every day.  It was so good.

This was good too. I had an ear of it for my supper along with a new potato and some beans and some fish.  It was just frozen fish. I think it was Jane's frozen cod in bread crumbs and it was terrible.  Dry and tasteless. I ended up throwing the fish away. I won't be buying that again. I did enjoy the rest of my meal however. It was delicious. I love fresh vegetables so much!


 


I did get down to the Birthday get-together in the afternoon. I just drove my car down and parked there at the end of the street, and tried hard not to be overly embarrassed by the fact that I had to drive down. They had their walkers parked outside the door and I had my car. 

We had a lot of fun. There was tea and coffee. And water or juice for people like me who don't drink tea or coffee. (Glenna and myself.)  Someone had made peanut butter squares and someone else ginger crinkles and Zilla had baked a birthday cake. I don't know what we didn't talk about.  A really nice bunch of ladies. I felt like I was on the set of Steel Magnolias. Lots of laughs and wit and wisdom.  I was glad that I had gone. Zilla reminds me very much of my mother. Same mannerisms, etc. but then again, they grew up in the same area.

She was telling me yesterday how they used to skate on the frozen field next to my Aunt Orabel's house and they go into Orabel's kitchen afterwards and warm their feet on the door of the woodstove, which was folded open for them to do so. And she remembered the old white horse in the other field next to the house as well.

When my brother, sister and I were children we used to visit with that white horse in the field while mom visited with her Aunt Orabel. The poor horse was blind, but very friendly.


 


I came home and finished some work I had to do and then got my supper. (I took a photo of it to show my sister. I know . . . what are we like, lol) I looked at all my Birthday cards again. I will have to put up a string to hang them on.  What a nice problem to have. So many cards, I have to put up a string to hang them on.  We should all be so blessed.


 


In any case I had a very full day yesterday and was grateful for it. I haven't really done a lot over these past years.  Since my return to Canada. I've mostly kept to myself and not reached out much to others or spent a lot of time with anyone but Cindy really. I am not sure why that is. Oh heck, who am I trying to kid. I know exactly why that is.  I don't want to have to explain what happened to my husband, or why I am on my own. Or at least that is what I have been afraid of having to do.  Well, it never even came up, so what was I worried about?  It's probably the same with most of the things we worry ourselves over. We are probably worrying about nothing.


 

Today the summer has come at my
window with its sighs and murmurs; and
the bees are plying their minstrelsy at the
court of the flowering grove.
~Rabindranath Tagore, From Gitanjali



 

minstrelsy (American)
    [min-struhl-see] / ˈmɪn strəl si / 

noun 
the art or practice of a minstrel. 
 minstrels' songs, ballads, etc.. 
     a collection of Scottish minstrelsy.

I had to look up what the word meant, or even if it was a word. It is. So now I can hear the bees humming beneath the window as they dance across the tops of the flowers, burrowing in here and there, fluffy butts aloft,  to have a good long sup of the nectar of warm blossoms. Summer in a nutshell.

Sun bearing down. Shadows flickering beneath the dancing leaves. Bees humming. A gentle breeze murmuring and pulling at the tall grass at the edge of the lawn right where it greets the fence at the back of the house, tempting it to join in with the dance. 

It is hard to believe that the children will be back to school in just a few weeks. Hasn't it only been a few weeks since that school ended for the year.  But that is how a summer goes  . . .  it goes . . . far more quickly than we think it will . . .



 


How can we slow it down?  I don't know  . . .  be present? Wrap each day gently with the things which bring you the most joy?  Take time to savor the light, the smells . . .  the sounds and the tastes. Bask in the warmth of the sun while it is yet close to the earth . . . 

Each night when I lay myself down into my bed I lay there all stretched out on my back and think, this is the most comfortable that I have been all day. Oh, how blessed am I to have such a comfortable bed to lay on. I close my eyes and I enjoy the feeling of being there for a few minutes.

Perhaps that is what we need to do with the moments in our days . . .  to close our eyes and enjoy the feeling of being there and present in whatever it is that we are experiencing. The warmth, the breezes, the sunshine, the rain  . . .  and everything in between.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day  . . . 

☾ ° ° * 。  
• ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • •。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Love is the greatest 
refreshment in life.
~Pablo Picasso


Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes & Capers



I didn't have time yesterday to cook a whole new recipe, photograph it, etc. so I rewrote an old post in it's place.  Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes & Capers.  Such a tasty meal. One of my all-time favorites. Tender and moist, golden scallops of chicken, nestled into a delicious sauce of sweet fresh cherry tomatoes and briny capers. This is so yummy! Quick and easy too!

I hope that your Wednesday brings a lot of summer joys to your table.  Fresh veggies and fruits, summer breezes, buzzing bees, joy . . . joy . . . joy.  Whatever your day brings, don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═════════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ════════════  

And I do too!    

   






3 comments:

  1. What a lovely time you had, and a dilemma of where to put all the cards. So glad you went and enjoyed yourself. Mid week, time for you to have a family dinner out, A sunny and lovely day ahead, cool this morning but will be 26 Celsius or so this afternoon. Off to see what I can do today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day. Very warm here today 26*C already. I hope you have a great day. You are right. Dinner out for us later on! Looking forward to that! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I’m so happy you had a nice time at the get-together! Summer is flying by…with all the lovely fresh veggies, fruits, fairs and picnics, I hope everyone is enjoying every minute. Happy birth-day, week, month and year Marie, celebrate and God bless you. xo, Virginia

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!