Saturday, 15 August 2026

All Things Nice

 

The kettle sings a low contented tune
The dog snores in her sleep behind the stove,
There is a mingled color in the air,
Of apple pie and cinnamon and clove,
The smell of yeast . . . for mother set the bread,
In the blue pan before she went to bed.

Beyond the pantry door I catch a glimpse
Of shiny milk pans on a narrow shelf,
A row of places . . . the old brown cookie crock;
A brimming water pail all by itself;
A little bracket lamp beside the door,
Makes a small halo beside the door,
Makes a small halo on the kitchen floor.

An old grey cat is sleeping on a chair,
Paws folded in below her slowly chest,
She looks the picture of contented peace,
Like an old lady waiting for a guest,
Her eyes blink softly as if half awake,
Pale green like water in a mountain lake.

The kitchen has a fragrance all of it's own,
Of porridge simmering in a blue pot,
Of kindling wood drying beneath the stove,
And red coals glowing beautiful and hot,
There is a sense of joy and comfort there,
In the old stove and cushioned rocking chair.

A feel of home and peace and fireglow,
That lovely modern kitchens do not know.
~Edna Jacques, Farm Kitchen at Night
The Golden Road, 1953

What a wonderful poem this is and the pictures it paints in the mind are so warming and comforting. It reminds me very much of the kitchen of my first husband's family. A place that was always so warm and welcoming. I had grown up in Military housing and spent most of my adult life living in the same, so this was such a special experience for me and something that I had always wanted to have for myself.

I did not know then, but do know now that a kitchen like this is much more than aesthetics . . .  it is about the feeling of home and you can get that anywhere, anytime. It is a feeling of comfort and belonging . . . of love  . . .  love of family, friends, home. That is something I have always had. It was not something I ever really needed to chase or look for . . .  it was something I had all along and something which I have now.  I am blessed.
 

 


I am late getting started this morning as I have been watching a wedding on Zoom. One of the young women in my church congregation back in Chester in the U.K. was getting married. I have been watching this young woman grow and become the special person that she is since she was a wee girl in one of my Primary classes.  She always came to class with fingers full of color. She loved art and she loved creating.  That was something we had in common. I remember mentoring her and encouraging her in this skill. It was so wonderful to see her all grown up this morning marrying the love of her young life. I wish them all the happiness that life has to give them.  Such an exciting future they have to look forward to. She will be leaving her home to move over to America and so I know her parents will be feeling that loss, but at the same time I know her parents are pleased for her to begin a new and happy life of her own.

I wish this young couple all of the happiness that is theirs to hold as they begin this new chapter in their lives.  

 

It was nice to get out and go to the shops with Cindy yesterday afternoon. Dad had great difficulty getting in and out of the car. I can see a vast difference in him over these past few months.  He is really slowing down and his mobility is getting more and more difficult.  His sight and hearing as well. His hearing aids don't seem to do the job they are supposed to do and I am not sure what is wrong with his sight. He is waiting on an appointment to see a specialist for his eyes.  

His world is getting narrower and narrower. It breaks my heart to see it happening. I am grateful that my brother will be here next week. I believe it may be his last chance to see and spend some quality time with our father. I could be wrong, but that is just the way I am feeling. 

Oh the selfish part of us would keep our parents with us forever. But quality and quantity of life are not the same thing and I fear quality is much better than quantity will ever be.


 

On our way home yesterday we decided to go up the mountain to Pelton's to get a few things. They had fresh bread in the market. I wanted a loaf for this weekend when Eileen will be here.  We were interrupted by a flock of guinea fowl all over the road.  Thankfully we were not driving so fast as we could not stop, but I feared for them. They were waddling right down the center of the road. There must have been about 20 or more of them. A whole flock. Who knows where they came from. I found myself feeling anxious about those who might come after us that might not notice them before it was too late. I think it is in the nature of guinea fowl to wander. But, their owners should probably take better care at keeping them somewhat contained. I do not think they are very intelligent birds. 

That is perhaps harsh of me to think that the owners are being negligent. Afterall, I have never owned any guinea fowl and perhaps it is impossible for them to be contained and I apologize if I am being overly judgmental.  I just hate to see any of God' creatures put in danger due to negligence. 

And speaking of guinea fowl, I can hear the ones who visit my neighborhood now.  They are down to just two now.


 


For me that will always be the summer of summer days -- a cloudless sky, ditches and roadside deep in grass, poppies, cuckoo pint, trees heavy with leaf, orchards bulging over hedge briars . . . 

Ah those days . . . for many years afterwards their happiness haunted me. Sometimes, listening to music, I drift back and nothing has changed. The long end of summer. Day after day of warm weather, voices calling as night came on and lighted windows pricked the darkness and, at daybreak, the murmur of corn and the warm smell of fields ripe for harvest. And being young.
~J.L.Carr, from A Month in the Country

I am so grateful that I grew up in rural spaces. Indeed much of my life has been lived thus. Oh, I did spend quite a few years in cities I suppose . . . Winnipeg, Calgary, London, Chester . . . but it is the country years that impressed upon me the most. The ones which brought me the sweetest memories.  I am a country girl at heart. I long for nothing more than quiet summer days. It is said you can hear the corn as it grows. I have never put that to the test.

Friend's pages on Instagram are full of beautiful photographs of their flowers gathered into bouquets to bring indoors. They are so lovely. The beautiful fruits of their labors. I am so grateful that they are so generous in sharing the lovely photos of them with us all.  Are we not blessed to live in a world where such a thing as this is available for us to enjoy?? I think we are. I am so grateful for the sharing of these beautiful glimpses into the lives and gardens of others.


 


I was marveling yesterday at how much these young mums today manage to get done.  They have beautiful homes and the ones that I watch had large families, 8 or 9 children in each. Their homes are beautifully decorated, and they cook such lovely meals for their families. And most of them home school as well. I was never as together as that. I suppose I had a large family, with five children, but my home was never that put together. I did cook them lovely meals but I was always playing catch-up with everything else in the house. It seemed I never ever saw the bottom of the laundry pile, and my house was never a showhouse.  I don't know how they manage to do it all, and cook the meals, home school and then film it all to share with the world. 

How inadequate I was, and am, in comparison. I fear I was always running to catch up and never quite did. I am still running to catch up, lol, and there is really only me in the house. I never get the things done in a day that I really want to get done. Oh, I have lists in my head of what I want to do, what I would like to do, but I never even begin to scratch the surface.

Comparison is the thief of joy. That is so very true. I cannot and should not compare my life to theirs.  What I see is only a glimpse of what they want me to see. Perhaps beyond the edges is chaos. I like to think that nobody can be so perfect as what they want us to think.  The thought of that brings me a measure of comfort.  

And I am in my dotage now . . . it takes me twice as long to achieve half as much. I spend too much time with my head in the clouds, dilly dallying. But I am happy and that is what counts most of all.


 


I don't really have a lot more time to spend this morning.  Watching that wedding took up several hours. (It was 45 minutes late starting.) But it was a worthwhile occupation with which to begin my day.  I will have to leave you now as I have a lot to get done before I go to pick up Eileen.

We have a busy day planned together. Her laundry, a knife skills class, a craft activity, and movie night, and that is just for today. Plus we also need to go to the store.

I will leave you with a thought to carry with you  . . . 

☾ ° ° * 。  
• ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • •。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Nevertheless,
she persisted.

That pretty much sums it up! Short but sweet.


Mixed Berry Crumble



In The Kitchen today  . . .  Easy Mixed Berry Crumble.  A perfect dessert to make with all of the fresh berries that are in abundance at the moment. The fruit is sweetened with white chocolate. Nothing else.  That buttery crumble on top is fabulous!

I hope you have a lovely weekend. I apologize for the briefness of my post this morning. Monday will be better.  Have a great couple of days. Don't forget!


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═════════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ════════════  

And I do too!    

   




1 comment:

  1. Never apologize, your posts are always a delight to read. Nice to get out with Cindy yesterday and a lovely day to look forward too wit Eileen. i know you will both have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!