Friday, 28 August 2026

Dear Neighbor . . .

 


AUGUST 28th, 2026
Estate Lane
Nova Scotia
17*C/64*F
Partly Sunny

Dear Neighbor,

Hello on this warm and sunny, well partly sunny, Friday morning. The last Friday in August of 2026. I cannot believe how quickly this year seems to be flying by and I know I am not alone in thinking or saying that. 

Already though, there is a change in the air. I can see the leaves beginning to turn. The hummingbirds have started their end of season storing up. I am refilling my feeder about twice a week now. Summer appears to be on the wane and yet  . . .  I am getting the first real number of ants in the house that I have had all season. Weird that  . . . 

In the words of the Immortal bard, "Summer's lease hath all too short a date."  Summer is a fleeting romance, and though she only graces us with her presence for a few short months of the year, we tend to make the most out of her for as long as we can.

As summer slips by, and autumn slowly begins to take her place, I hang onto the joys she has left me with for as long as I can, burying them deep somewhere in my mind for when I need to be reminded, in the depths of winter that summer is still on the way.  Just like summer, life can be fleeting. The truest form of magic is being romanced by life. Holding on to the sweet memories we are given, sweet moments, moments that make us happy, the moments we are serenaded with joy. And my summer has been full of them. 


 

As we were leaving the restaurant on Wednesday evening, having built another sweet summer memory with our niece, I noticed my cousin Hal and his family sitting at a table. We had to stop and say hello.  Hal is the cousin who was so ill in hospital not that long ago. He is home now and still has a long row to hoe but it was so nice to see him there and out an about. Although, I did note that he was not eating anything and he looked very frail, thin and dare I say it, old and tired. This is my cousin who I can remember doing handsprings across the room as a young boy and teen, the glint of his blue eyes sparkling with enthusiasm and all the joys of life. He is a good man is Hal. I hope he continues to regain his health and is soon back . . . if not doing handsprings . . . to feeling much, much better than he has been in a long time.

One of my happiest memories is of going to his wedding and the reception afterwards. What a good time that was. Mom was still in her dancing years, our Aunt Freda (Hal's mother) was still alive, with the same sparkling blue eyes, my sister was there on a rare visit her to Nova Scotia. We laughed a lot that day  . . . simply one of those sweet moments captured in my mind's eye that still brings me joy when I bring it out to reflect on it. 

 


My next door neighbor Sheila is home now. She got home yesterday. I have not been over to see her yet. She had lots of people going in and out yesterday. She has been through a lot.  To be home, after what she experienced with the broken hip, arm, wrist, etc. at her age is quite an accomplishment and a great testimony to her will to keep going. 

I will try to make a moment today to go over and see her and welcome her home. I am sure she will have a ways to go yet, but she is amazing. I think.  I am sure Cindy will be bringing Bailey over to see her as well, although it will probably be quite a while before Sheila can really resume the care of him. I am sure she will enjoy visits however and so will he.

I can only imagine how sweet the reunion will be. Life is filled with little wonders and jewels.


 


Eileen has an appointment today to be fitted for her hearing aids. She is a bit excited/nervous about that. She has always had problems with her ears. From the get-go she has been plagued with ear infections, etc. One right after another. I cannot tell you the number of times she has had to have tubes in her ears. I am sure it will be a bit of a learning curve for her and a bit of a wonder once she can fully hear again. I hope she can cope.  She was feeling a bit anxious about it last night when I spoke with her.  But she also has something to look forward to today.  The whole group is going to a place called Frank and Dora's for lunch, so that will be nice for her. She really enjoys our dinners out on Wednesday nights. I will be picking her up early afternoon tomorrow for our "sleepover" weekend. She also enjoys those. And I enjoy having her. It seems pretty quiet here without her around.

I am wondering how long it will be before we get the results of her biopsy, etc. It's been two weeks on Monday since she had the procedure. The cogs of the health care system move slowly here in Nova Scotia, but at least they move.


 


I will be going with Cindy this afternoon to take Dad and his friend Maryann to the mall. They did not go last week as our brother was here. I expect Maryann will be very happy to see him, and he her as well. It is a bit of a weird one. She, I am sure, sees him as being her boyfriend.  She always looks so nice when she comes out to the car. She is in great shape for her age. I believe she is 92.  She still walks very well and except for the fact she is deaf, totally with it. She is always so excited to see him.  My dad, on the other hand, is always quick to say she is just a friend. He likes to keep his options open. That has never changed, despite his age or his inability to get around safely. He has always had an eye for the ladies.

But he does enjoy this trip out. It is getting more difficult however. His mobility is really declining. Two weeks ago when we took them I found myself wondering how much longer he would be able to manage the outing. It is quite tiring for him, as much as he does love to get out. He is really slowing down. 

When my brother was here, he and my sister went to the funeral home to arrange a few things. I hate thinking of things like that, even though I know they are inevitable. They got his obituary written and my sister in law wrote a bit of a life's history formulated by asking him questions etc. Some surprising things came out that none of us had known. I will have to remember to download it and read it again, and then upload it to the memories on my Family Search app.


 


Cindy and I always go shopping while Dad and Maryann visit together. We did go to the Superstore yesterday and I got a bit in for the weekend, so I really won't have much to get today. Mostly I need cat food and hand soap/wash. A few other little bits. Not a lot really. 

I picked up a small turkey breast portion for Sunday lunch yesterday. Cindy is only having lunch for the family every second week now with the odd weeks being golf day.  So I picked up a small turkey breast portion for Eileen and I to cook together. I will make all of the fixings to go with it. I am sure she will enjoy that. I know I will.


 

"Never go too long without celebrating this life. Never get so caught up on the day-to-day busyness, the worries and troubles, the comparisons and doubts that you forget just how wonderful it is to be here. Never get so caught up that you forget to notice all of the blessings worth celebrating right around you. Celebrate those who care about you so deeply, the ones who always lift you up and help you. Celebrate all of the little victories in your day-to-day to-do lists and the things you love to do each day. Celebrate all of the things that make the little moments of life so wonderful and vibrant, too -- your favorite shows and books, clothes and foods. Celebrate all of the growth you have done and continue to do all of the ways you are becoming and reaching and stretching; My sweet friend, this life holds so much worth celebrating." ~Nikki Warne

That is how I try to live my life, although I have many days that I manage to fall far short of my goals to do so. I try though and that is what matters. I do celebrate the ones I love and like to think that I honor them each day. I try also to get the most joy that I can out of the small and simple things which embroider my life. I guess that is all any of us can do . . .  acknowledge the things which embroider the tapestries that we are weaving with our days and find the joy in them that is only ours to find. We can do no more than that.

And with that I will leave you with a thought to carry with you . . . 

☾ ° ° * 。  
• ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • •。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Lead by listening -
To be a good leader you
have to be a great listener.
~Richard Branson


 
Three Fruit Crumble 


In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Three Fruit Crumble. A dessert which brings together the very best flavors of late summer and early autumn. Delicious and simple.

 I hope you have a beautiful Friday. Be blessed whatever you get up to. Don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═════════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ════════════  

And I do too!    

   

1 comment:

  1. A lovely day here, certainly signs of fall - cooler overnight temperatures, golden rod in bloom, sedum turning a reddish, odd leaves drifting down, lots of fall clothes in stores, and more. Good for Cindy for going golfing while the weather is still good. Enjoy your afternoon out with her.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!