Monday 17 June 2024

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. What you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.







Beautiful sunsets  . . .  viewed from the comfort of my sofa.  God gives us some really precious gifts doesn't He?  This was the other night. I had not yet closed my curtains and there it was for me to enjoy. I could not help but take a photograph.




By the same token, I also get some pretty spectacular sunrises. My whole day is sandwiched in between two beautiful things.  I am blessed.


 

We got to enjoy another Father's Day with dad.  He is all moved into Cindy's now and so far so good. Yesterday was a good day. He said he thought he was going to be happy there. Princess, his cat, is venturing out of his room a tiny bit. Still lots of hissing and spitting going on, but so far so good.  We had a nice dinner at Cindy's yesterday and everyone was happy. Good times!  This morning Cindy is bringing him here so we can give him a bath.  Their tub is not accessible.  I don't mind. I am happy to be able to do this service for him.





I did not get to church yesterday. Glenna was not well and I don't like that long drive by myself, to be honest.  Too many years living in the U.K. and not driving at all I suppose. Anyways, I stayed home but I still got to listen to some uplifting music and I listened to a few talks on YouTube that I enjoyed. My day was still sacred and holy and I still felt uplifted.  I did not get to partake of the sacrament, that's the only drawback of staying home. Still, I had a good day.

To be honest, my knee is not feeling all that great.  Due to my fall, periodically it feels like someone is jabbing it with an ice-pick and this morning I knocked it again, on the coffee table.  I just keep hammering it!


 


Beauty in the garden.  All the gardens. Cindy's. Other people's on my street. My own.  I don't have any of these, but  I wish I did. Sweet Peas. Of all the flowers, they are my favorite ones.  Their petals look like butterflies waiting to give flight. I love them.


 

Hummingbirds. Not many at the moment, but I catch a glimpse of the occasional one.  I do get a lot of blackbirds, crows, morning doves, jays, etc. Nothing too exciting, but the cats like to watch them all and it keeps their lives interesting.  


 


My sister, my best friend. I love the time I get to spend with Cindy.   I know you must be tired of hearing me say so, but I will never tire of saying so. She means the world to me.  We get along like peas and carrots. I love her so much. We cry together, we laugh together.  We just enjoy each other's company, and have done for a very long time now.  Another of my life's greatest blessings, is this easy and love filled relationship we share.


 

Postal Love.  As you know I have gotten a few cards, notes, letter and surprises in the post as of late.  They always mean the world to me and brighten my days.  That someone else thinks enough of me to want to share in such a way is not lost on me.  I truly appreciate each and every missive.  I am not forgotten  . . .  and they always arrive with perfect timing, just when I need them most of all.  

Never ignore the impulse to do something kind.  I think that when we are prompted to reach out to another in whatever way, we need to act on that prompting . . .  and I am so grateful that other's have done so and that I am the blessed recipient of their promptings.

I need to be better at it myself. This is a note to me more than anyone.


 


Sunny days. We are having some really beautiful ones. The humidity hasn't really set in yet and there have been some lovely breezes along with the sunshine.  You can't beat a sunny day for lifting the mood!

 


The first strawberries of the season. I truly enjoyed them. So delicious. I need to get some more.  I wish I could pick my own, but alas I cannot.  That's okay, I enjoy the fruits of other people's labors.  The farm market is not that far.  Spurrs have the best.


Life is an easy blend of good and wonderful things. Teaching moments. Learning moments.  All is well in my little corner of the world for now and I will take it.   I am blessed.

A thought to carry with you . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Dear self,
for the times I didn't  show you enough love,
for the times I didn't love you at all,
I forgive you.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~Sabina Laura° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •





In The English Kitchen today.  Spinach and Artichoke DipThis was something I often made for dinner party appetizers when I worked at the Manor. It's rich, creamy and delicious!  Oh, and very easy to make as well.

I hope you have a beautiful day!  Whatever you get up to be happy. I hope the cup of your week runneth over.  Don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

 

And I do too! 
 

6 comments:

  1. You girls are great to your dada..Have you tried icing your knee?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that your Dad is all moved in, after a few days his cat will feel at home there. Cindy is such a treasure. We had a terrific rain storm this morning, right when we had to go out for blood work. By the time we left it was sunny and you could feel the heat coming. We are in for a few days of humidex reading close to 45 Celsius. Maybe time to get your knee checked out if it isn't feeling right since your fall. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are some tips for your Dad when the weather is iced in and he cannot get to your home for a bath. Stock in a big supply of baby wipes, the quilted and sturdy kind if possible. Your dad can use those to take a bath with, simply wiping off and getting fresh. Then he can use a hand towel run under hot tap water until it's nice and hot, wring that towel out, and wipe off after using the baby wipes. This is an old remedy for people who didn't have bath tubs back in the day (with the modern baby wipes added). About your knee, yes, agree with Linda, please go on and get it checked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear you knee is paining you...hope you find a solution!! Mine was bothersome today so I put on some drops of Frankincense and Myrrh and it enabled me to shop for groceries...so am always grateful for that help!!
    Hope your dad settles in...hope he realizes how many folks in his age would love to have 2 daughters caring for them!!
    HUGS, Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, your Dad can keep his hair clean by simply pouring a little witch hazel on a cotton ball, or the corner of a wash cloth, or in the palm of his hand and wetting down his scalp with it. Dry with a clean wash cloth, or leave it wet. Then use his comb as he usually does. Don't get witch hazel in the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, Thinking about your Dad's deafness, when everything settles down after the move, it might be fun for your Dad to find a support group that teaches sign language. Signing is a great way to be social and have fun. Also if you and Cindy and Dan are of a mind to, you can learn sign with him. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!