Monday 24 July 2017

Small and Wonderful Things . . .



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 
 
A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 


This is our lovely chapel in Ewloe, Wales, about a 15 minute or so drive from where we live in Chester. Its about 10 or so years old now, so relatively new. When we lived in Chester before, we didn't have a chapel and used to meet in a community centre in Hoole. It was noisy because the floors were bare and we would have to set the chairs out every Sunday morning.  You never knew what kind of activity would have been held in the building the night before. Maybe a rabbit show in which case it would smell, or Bingo in which case it would also smell (of smoke and cigarettes).  Sometimes we would have to get rid of the empty beer bottles and sweet up straw, etc. before we could set up for Sacrament meeting.  But it was a place to meet and served its purpose.  We are so blessed to have this lovely chapel to worship in now.  It's bright and clean and never smells of beer and cigarettes.  But the building doesn't really matter for "wherever two or three are gathered, there I am also".  From the Saviour. 


 That I have always lived in countries where I am free to worship (or not) my God as and however I will. There are so many in the world who do not have a choice.  We are blessed to have the freedom that we do, and not only that, freedom to think, believe and speak according to our own conscience. For the time being anyway.  We must never take those freedoms for granted.  We are blessed.


The garden is full of them, working industriously, busy, busy bees.  I love them.  They are wonderful examples to me of hard work and tenacity. 

  

Secret worlds . . . . they make me smile  . . . 


Having these two in my life.  Todd feels better and better with each day that passes and is slowly regaining his strength. I am so grateful for that.  One of our friends has just been diagnosed with Advanced Prostrate Cancer which has already spred to his spine.  Please keep Ron and his family in your prayers. The power of prayer can move mountains according to God's will.  I firmly believe that to be true. 


I found this photograph in my photos this morning. It was taken at my middle son Doug's wedding, which was about 12 years ago now.  There are 7 grandchildren and two weddings that have taken lace since.  From left to right, Bruce, Amanda, Tom, Anne, Anthony, Eileen, Doug and Kayla.  I don't have many pictures of my children and very, very few of them all together, so this is a really special photograph.  

 

I found this photo too and it brought back some lovely memories of a day that Todd and I spent in London on the West End when we lived down South.  We had gone in to see Les Miserables and there was a May Day celebration going on with little girls dancing around the May Pole.  So quaint.  We have built some lovely memories together and I am so grateful for them.  


It was an expensive venture, but so worth every penny. Of course we were both working at that time, so we could almost afford it, lol.  It costs a bomb to see a play in the West End and this has always been one of the most popular ones so it is never discounted.  Every performance is always a sell out.  Getting to see it together is another beautiful memory we share. 

Having a special person in my life to share these
beautiful memories with!
♥♥♥ 

  

Sundays that are well spent with church, partaking of the sacrament, worshipping with the Saints, telephone calls to my mom, talking with my daughter, visits to shut in friends, evenings with Poldark.

We are so very blessed.
...

God is indeed very good.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° ˛°. .You are not going to master the rest 
of your life in one day. Just relax.
Master the day. 
Then just keep doing that every day.
~Unknown  .° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 


 

In The English Kitchen today . . .  Crockpot Sauerkraut Soup. Simple and delicious.

Have a great week.  May it be filled to overflowing with an abundance of small and wonderful things  Don't forget . . . 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!



 


 

7 comments:

  1. Good morning Marie. My Beth would envy your trip to Les Mis. Both my girls love musical theatre. Beth is currently learning to tap dance for her role in Anything Goes. She says it feels very strange as she mainly learned ballet as a child and you keep your ankles quite "stiff" compared to tap. Now why did I get to that.

    I love the sounds of your gentle Sundays.

    I am so pleased that Todd is feeling better each day, I pray it continues.

    I am glad I heated our house by using the oven yesterday. It feel to almost zero overnight. Our heating is reverse cycle air con. Nothing through the floors etc. We only need heat a few days a year and I am determined to make the most of them. The tile floors are cold and I was most reluctant to leave my toasty bed. Both the cats are forgetting their continual war and are snuggled down on mum's bed. Nimbus is sending the odd glare and Tonks is not responding, He is three tomorrow so I hope he settles down soon. At present he is an overly busy maniac through the night. He likes to sit on my window and pounce on me.

    God bless you today and always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is one of my most favourite memories Suzan! Both Todd and I love the musical and seeing it live was amazing! Enjoy your cool temps while you have them! Take advantage of them and cook something nice! We lost our good friend Billy today to Leukemia. Very sad, but grateful his suffering is finished. Love and hugs.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so sorry about BIlly. I understand being grateful. God bless him, his friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Suzan, the past two years of his life he was truly suffering! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pic of your children and spouses..2 missing..lots has happened!
    I saw Les Misérables here in Mtl..wonderful:)Have a great day!
    Such wonderful news re Todd:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Monique! Live theatre is such a wonderful thing! I really hope that Todd and I can go to another one again some day! Love and hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are very blessed to worship as we pleased. Sadly many don't even take advantage of it. Many seem too busy these days to take time out for it. I'm thankful that I can and that I do. Some things are just too important to forget. Hope your well spent weekend makes this a week of content for you !

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!