Sunday 23 July 2017

Playing with Pollyanna . . .


“The game was to just find something about everything to be glad about—no matter what ’twas”
Eleanor H. Porter, Pollyanna

One of my favourite films when I was a child was Pollyanna. That inspiring tale of a little girl who transformed the lives of everyone around her through her optimism and example . . . her ability to find the silver lining in every cloud. Truth to be told you don't find a happy life, you create a happy life, and its all about attitude.  The power of positive thinking can never be under-estimated.  We do attract what we put out, etc., etc.. Which doesn't mean to say that you are not allowed to ever get sad . . . or disappointed.  Life is filled with sadness and disappointment. But I firmly believe that happiness is a choice, and a choice that we need to make every day.



"You know I have been made to suffer from the Pollyanna books. I have been placed often in a false light. People have thought that Pollyanna chirped that she was 'glad' at everything. I have never believed that we ought to deny discomfort and pain and evil; I have merely thought that it is far better to 'greet the unknown with a cheer.'" 
~Eleanor H. Porter 

Life will try to beat you if it can. I'm not entirely sure why that is. But I do know one thing for sure, that you cannot begin to enjoy even the smallest measure of joy or appreciate it for what it truly is, if you have never experienced sorrow.  A little bit of sorrow has the ability to make the joys in our life taste all the sweeter. 

  

I don't believe that there is a single person on this earth that lives a totally charmed life.  That is a lesson that I learned from having worked for the very wealthy. Prior to that time I might have been forgiven if I had thought that having copious amounts of money might bring with it lots and lots of joy, and that being able to have/buy whatever you want in life, you could not help but be happy. These were some of the unhappiest people I have ever met.  They had not a clue about what truly mattered in life.  I learned that the more you have, the more you worry about losing it, or somebody taking it away from you.  I learned that although Todd and I only had a mere fraction of what these people had in terms of wealth and possessions . . .  we actually had far more then they might ever have in the terms of the things which matter the most.  And we were a bazillion times happier.  (And nicer!)  Money absolutely can not buy happiness, and having everything a human being could possibly ever want or need, does not necessarily bring joy.
Its not so much the million dollars/pounds in your bank account that matters,
as it is what you do with those dollars and pounds that counts.
Serving self never ever was the true
path to finding real  joy.
...


I could lose everything I own or have tomorrow, and sure, I would be plenty distressed about it. Who wouldn't!! But I think I would recover from the loss a lot quicker than these people might, being given the same circumstances, and I guess that all boils down to having stored up my treasures in a much different way.  I count my wealth in the relationships I have built with others, with the love that is shared.  I know and I believe that there is much more joy to be found in the giving than is to be found in the receiving.  I also believe that a joy shared is a pleasure doubled, and a sorrow shared is a burden halved.  Its all just simple mathmatics!

The pot of gold is not to be found at the end of the rainbow.
Its actually in the rainbow itself.


The glass is either half full or half empty.
The choice is actually
our own to
make
...

  

I was very naughty this week.  Ever since I saw the little paper models of the mugs that Susan Branch had made on her blog, I fell in love with her mug designs and none moreso than the bluebird one.  Oh how I wanted one, but in all truth, while I could have afforded the mug itself in a pinch, the postage of having one sent from America here to the UK was outrageous and so having one only ever remained a dream.  But then this week on her latest blog post she mentioned that she now had a shop here in the UK that was going to carry her mugs and so I investigated it and I *gulp* ordered one as an early Birthday pressie for myself and with NO shipping charges whatsoever!  Colour me thrilled to pieces when it arrived yesterday, a mere couple of days after I ordered it.  Not weeks like it takes for things to come from the US.  Oh yes, this is a real indulgence, and we will be eating from our store-cupboard for a week or so to make up for it, but that's okay. Its worth it.  

Its huge and totally gorgeous!  Todd is NOT
allowed to touch it.
At all.
...

Tis very delicate as you would expect bone china to be. Now all I have to decide is who to leave it to in my will. 
♥♥♥

Yes, you have to have a dream in order to make a dream come true.


I made what looked to be the most beautiful pie ever yesterday, with heart shaped cutouts and almonds and demerara sugar sprinkled over top, filled with strawberries and rhubarb . . .  but it ended up being just like that pie in the childhood story about the beautiful but empty pie. Inside was nothing but mostly liquid. I must have had really watery berries and rhubarb, because that was mostly all what was left after baking . . . a thick sauce with a few lumps and bits. My pastry turned out really good though, and it tastes like strawberries and rhubarb.  Silver lining to what was a huge disappointment!

And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° ˛°.Everytime I thought I took a loss,
God blessed me with something better.  .° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •


 

In The English Kitchen today  . . . Peach & Blueberry Crumble.  Delish!  Healthy and low fat/sugar too!

Have a beautiful Sunday.  Don't forget!

 ═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!

 
 

8 comments:

  1. Good morning Marie. I am taking a little break. You know all too well the pleasures of small kitchens. Mum and I have been trying to make roast beef and veg for dinner. It has been cool enough to enjoy that treat. I had to start by figuring out how to best cut the whole rump to make a roast and some steaks. I hate using huge knives when people are at my elbows. My family seriously underestimate my deafness and how quickly I take fright.

    Enjoy your day and may God bless you abundantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely mug you treated yourself to. I only hope that you use it and enjoy it even more. I know you might break it....heaven forbid......but think of all the pleasure it would have brought you.....I'm one of these people that use everything I love or wear my few pieces of expensive jewlery, yes I could loose it....did once loose a very expensive earring, I fretted for a day or two but then decided what would have been the difference if I hadn't worn it...it would have sat in its box bringing pleasure to who ? Nobody not even me, it was a good lesson. My sister Sarah was a real Pollyanna which was nice but occasionally it could be very trying ! We used to shake our head at her
    ....oh how I wish she were still here so I could stil. ....smile and shake my head at her Pollyanna moments.....
    Hope you are having a good day. I didn't have church today as our church and another at Ditteridge were having a joint service I can't park anywhere near it nor can my wheelchair get up their narrow path......instead Lyn and I went to the garden centre as I want a small water feature by the door, it was extreemly wet by the time it opened at 10 so we started with a coffee then we went to the very bottom of the garden centre in the pouring rain ! But I saw just what I wanted the first one I saw !! So that was soon bought and we had to get ourself up and out and home all done...in just an hour !!.....then Lyn decided it might stay dry for a wee while so took Masy out for a quick walk they were only gone 5mins at most when it poured down....they both came in .....drookit....!! Now of course 20 mins later the sun is shining....but the sky is not blue !!!
    Take care..been meaning to ask how is Todd these days is he any less tired ?...hope so for both of you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well hello?
    A UK shop and free ship?
    Start the car!!

    I am in the quandry you were in..

    The $40.00 US is $50..and I have a feeling shipping would add at least another 20.Then I would have customs and duty because it's not a gift..soooo.....
    I love The Bluebird and MV ones..

    They are collector's items and I bet will increase in value..

    You were wise my dear:)
    And GOOD for you!!
    Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Suzan I am so pleased you have had temps cool enough to enjoy a roast dinner! That is a rare occasion! God bless! Xoxo

    Sybil I need to be more like you! I keep things for best and I think why even have them! I will use them! And I will use this mug! I love it! The weather has also been very unsettled here today also! Xoxo

    I know Monique! How could I resist! I love the MV one also. I am sure you are right, sure to become collectors items! You have a beautiful day also! If I ever win the lottery I will buy you a mug! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete


  5. If you win..you buy yourself more:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I won Monique, I would be able to buy us ALL more! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. True wealth is not in things than can be taken from us. But in things felt in the heart for sure. My faith, family and friends are the important things in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing like having the proper priorities in life Pam! God bless! oxox

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!