Wednesday 24 February 2016

Wednesday this and that . . .

 

This is a photograph I took about five minutes ago from outside our front door.  The sun is just rising, athough you can't really tell from the photograph.  It's cold, cold . . . . brrr . . .  probably the coldest it has been so far this year.  There is a thick layer of frost on the top of the car and I fear for any of my plants that have already come up prematurely . . .  however the birds are already singing their morning chorus to beat the band and the air is fresh and invigorating!  This is my favourite part of the morning . . .  when everything is beginning to wake up and come alive!

"Oh what a beautiful mornin' 
Oh what a beautiful day 
I've got a beautiful feelin' 
Everything's going my way" 

That's the song that was running through my head just now . . .  from the musical "Oklahoma" by Rogers and Hammerstein.  Except that I could add . . .

There's a sweet golden light on the horizon
and a silver crust gilding our car,
the birds in the hedges are singing their song
neath the light of a lone evening star!

Everybody sing . . .

Oh what a beautiful morning!
OHHH what a beautiful day!
I've got a beautiful feeling,
Everything's going my way!

Now that you are feeling all refreshed I will continue!



My trip to the grocery store yesterday afternoon was pretty exciting!  The Zone leaders were coming for supper and bringing a friend so I had to pop over to pick up a few bits.  I wanted to make my oven baked chili which I thought they would really enjoy.   I  got everything I needed into the cart and a few extra bits I confess  . . .  do you ever go to the grocery shop and come out with nothing extra?   It's impossible for me. I always see something else I think I need.  Anyways, I was all loaded up and heading for the tils when all of a sudden this loud alarm started going off, then an announcement came over the PA telling everyone to evacuate the store immediately.  Scary stuff.  I had to leave my cart right there and leave the shop.


Needless to say it was going to be a while before the fire department got there and cleared everything so I just had to leave the shop altogether and go somewhere else, which meant I lost my pound coin that I had to leave in my cart that I had to leave in the shop, and all of my groceries, which thankfully I had not paid for yet.  By the time we got to another store, I had to just rethink what I was going to have for dinner because I didn't have long enough to do the baked chili anymore so we had good old faithful Spaghetti Bolognese, with garlic bread and salad.  I hadn't made it for these Elders before at any rate, so it was okay.

Being evacuated from a store because of fire.  That was a first for me! Good times!  I do lead the most exciting life!

 photo MarieAliceat5cropped.jpg

This is a photograph taken of me when I was about five years old.  It was Easter Sunday and I was in the driveway of my Grandfather's house in Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia.   I was wearing a navy blue coat trimmed with white, navy knee socks, and my dress was white with navy blue polka dots on it, which you can't see.   In my hands is the little White Bible my father had bought me for Easter, which sadly disappeared during my divorce . . . heartbroken over that still, but we won't think about that.  Instead we are going to think about being five years old.

Five is a very exciting age to be.  You are old enough to start school and really take that first step towards independance from your parents.  Your world becomes a much larger place!  You meet more people that you can be friends with, and you stand on the cusp of great learning . . .  learning to read and learning to write, which in and of themselves are world enlargening skills!  I loved being five.

Guess who is turning five today!

 

Yep!  My only granddaughter Maryn is five years old today!  I have only ever seen her twice.   The first time I saw her and got to meet her was the year my oldest daughter was getting married . . .  so she was only 2 at the time.

 photo SDC17747.jpg

This photo was taken at the park where we were getting together for the dress rehearsal for the wedding.  Of course I was a stranger to her, no surprise there.  I thought she was beautiful and my heart was filled with longing to hold her close, but I knew that really wasn't going to happen.   She didn't know who I was and I didn't expect her to want to be with me . . .

 photo SDC17813.jpg

Cutest little flower girl ever . . .


 photo SDC17796.jpg

With her inquisitive mind . . .  and curls  . . .  my heart melts just to see these photos . . .

 photo SDC17806.jpg

Four generations of strong women standing here . . .  with my mother, my two girls and my granddaughter . . . such a special moment.

That was the only chance I had to see her that visit  . . .  short but sweet.

 photo 552837_10151415341673717_1273281423_n_zps88d7d443.jpg

I did not know then that I would be home again just a year later for my mom's cancer operation and that time I got to spend more time with her.   We had a picnic as a family in the children's park near my home, which was great. I got to see all of the grandchildren that day, and then on the day I was leaving to come back to England I got to spend the whole day at my daughter's with my youngest son and of course my daughter and her husband and wee Maryn.   I spent the whole time for the most part playing with Maryn in her play room.  I think we had a great time . . .  I can't speak for her of course . . .  but I know I had a great time.  She was smart and engaging and just lovely.   I cherish that time I got to spend with her.  It's hard to believe that it was two years ago now.  She was three then and not quite as shy as she had been the year before.

 photo 12743808_10100758378266619_335272915468934259_n_zpscnxlk44w.jpg

Now she is a swirling, twirling princess and she is five and her world is about to get even larger than it was before.   And my heart fills to overbursting with love for her and for all my grandchilren . . . with a tender sweet ache that wishes that I could spend more time with all of them and that they could know me better and I them.

In any case, Happy Birthday Maryn!  I hope your day is a sweet one and that you can feel this Grandmother's great love for you soaring through the air and across an ocean and into your heart.  I really hope that your Birthday present got to you on time.  I wish I could see your eyes light up when you open it.  Maybe one day . . .


A thought to carry with you through today  . . .

✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿
Life isn't a matter of milestones,
but of moments  . . . 
~Rose Kennedy
✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿

 My life is filled with some pretty beautiful ones, praise God.

Spiritual Enrichment


 photo DSCN5358_zpsbdyrrgqt.jpg

In The English Kitchen today . . .  A Simple Prawn Curry.

 Have a beautiful Wednesday.  May it be filled with goodness.  Don't forget along the way that  . . .


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

and I do too!


11 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your granddaughter. What sweet pictures, especially all the generations together. That was quite alarming and certainly frustrating too about the trip for groceries. Good thing you had other options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five is a special age as you have so profoundly told us. Happy birthday Maryn. I hope you have a most precious birthday.

    Tonight I saw many twirling ballet princesses as I took mum, Beth, Beth's friend Lauren and me to the ballet. We saw a very modern and quite intriguing version of Sleeping Beauty. Quite mad but had some funny moments and some crazy modern movements team with classical dance and some amazing classical pas de deux. It wasn
    t a hugely expensive night out for ballet but I don't think I will be doing it again for a while as I have seen three classical ballets since around October last year.

    Your shopping trip sounds crazy and disturbing. I had that happen once but the trolley was free. It all ended well.

    God bless your day and I hope it warms up for you. I am sure many Aussies would gladly send some heat. The heat wave is over but most days are still reaching around 36.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is sooo cute..and so were you:)
    Time FLIES..

    What an experience you had in the store..quick thinking w/ the blognese;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grand daughter is so sweet! It is so hard to live away from those we love - like our grand children. All of my grand children live in different states so we don't see them often. I am sure that my oldest daughter's children (all except for the oldest) don't have much of an idea who grandma and grandpa Jones are...very sad and not the way we want it, but those are the trials of life. I do get to see the grand children from my second daughter several times a year and we love that! It's always fun to feed the missionaries. We are feeding the elders in our area Saturday night. Not sure what we are having. I sure appreciate people like you since my son is serving as a missionary in Mexico right now and I love that kind people kept him fed and going...I am curious what mission you are in? We live in Gilbert, AZ mission and my son is serving in Mexico Monterrey East. That was quite the adventure to have the fire alarm go off while you were shopping. Your blog is always a fun week. Will return again soon. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Pam! Life is a great adventure! God bless your day! Xoxo

    How lovely Suzan! I have only ever seen the ballet in person once, when I was at Uni. The Canadian National Ballet came to the Uni. It was lovely! God bless your day also! Xoxo

    Thanks Monique! Time does fly! Too fast! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Deb! So nice to meet you! We are serving as Missionaries in the England Manchester Mission! We love it. We love serving with these wonderful young Missionaries? You must be very proud of your son and rightly so! We have friends in Thatcher! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie - that is so great that you are serving as Missionaries. Hubby and I so want to go when we retire. Thanks for serving. So glad I found your blog - you are an example and a role model! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marie~

    I can't imagine hearing the fire alarm go off in the grocery store, you must have been scared! I'm glad you got out safely!

    Happy Birthday Maryn! She is adorable, Marie. I can't imagine living away from my my grands. I consider myself very lucky to have all of my grands within 30 miles of my home. I heart always goes out to those like you who live so far away . . .big hugs to you, Marie. I always lived close to my grandparents, and I thought that was a blessing. But, my mother traveled a lot and I don't think she saw my children as often as I get to. But, they always knew her and loved her because she was, "Grandma". I think it will be that way with your little one as well. She may not feel that way now, but as she get older and knows your beautiful face and heart, she can't help but love you!

    You were an adorable 5 year old! I love navy blue polka-dots on a white dress! Do they even make knee socks anymore?! So cute!

    Warm Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can hardly believe it is 5 years since we heard of that little babies arrival...where do the years go, she has grown into such a Bonnie wee girl,it is sad you don't see her but I hope her Mum and Dad speak about you to her, I know that even although we were only 400 miles from Bath....when we lived in Scotland....we missed the wee ones very much we only saw them twice a year, but I know that Sarah saw to it that we were not starngers they said night night to us every night, by looking at our photos and giving us a hug...but it was still hard....Beth said a funny thing the other day and that was when she thought back she seemed to know her Scottish Granny and Papa more than she did her Granma and grandpa down here that they saw more often......what a carry on that must have been in the store...did you hear afterwards if anything had been found to set off the alarms ?....must go A&E awaits me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful portrait of strong beautiful women. It's a priceless one Marie. My paternal grandpa used to sing that Roger's & Hammerstein chorus each morning when he woke me up for school.Your granddaughter is the sweetest little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb, my husband and I wanted to serve for a long time, but because we don't own our own home and have a dog and no family here to take care of it we didn't think we could. It wasn't until we were told that we could actually serve from our own home that we considered that it would be possible. We are loving it very much! You should go when you can. It's a really blessed experience. xoxo

    I was more annoyed that I had to leave my groceries Barb! haha. I hope that one day my grandaughter will know who I am. My two older sons are very good about making sure their boys know about me, but my daughter is somewhat estranged from me so it may never happen. I am not sure if they make knee socks any more or not! xoxo

    That's very reassuring Sybil, but I am now worried about you going to A&E! Sending prayers. xoxo

    Thanks Gina. I used to sing "Good morning Starshine" to my kiddos when I woke them up each morning! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!