Wednesday 7 August 2013

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

  photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

 photo sweetPeasTwo_zpscb48d3b1.jpg


Sweet Peas.  I adore them.   Each little petal looks as if it is a butterfly wing waiting to take flight.  I beg them to stay, please stay . . . I promise not to pick them if they do . . . they relent and stay where they are, but I cannot keep my promise, the allure of their scent is far too strong.  Just a small bouquet and the whole room is filled with it.  How very wonderful  . . .

 photo Birdhouse_zps46775a71.jpg

The little creatures that live up and down the hedgerow which borders our back garden.   They may only be sparrows for the most part, but no less delightful than were they any other kind of bird.  In the morning I look out as the day is dawning and already they have begun to sing . . . little heads popping out and up all along the hedgerow as if to test the waters . . . once the all clear sounds, they are out and about.  The day has begun in earnest . . .

 photo breadandjam_zps349394d1.jpg

"If I'd been born a Whittier, instead of what I am,
I'd write a poem now about a piece of bread and jam."
~Edgar Guest

Can there be any finer supper in the land than a simple piece of bread and jam?   I think not.  I eat it in little nibbles all around the outside of my piece of bread, working my way around and around, getting every close to that final tiny morsel in the centre, which is the most delicious of all . . .   I have saved the best for last.

 photo washday3_zps01ffd106.jpg

Nothing on earth delights the senses more than a bed made up of fresh sheets which have just been hung outside on a wash line to dry . . . they smell of earth and grass and sunshine.  It is, I think . . . a little glimpse of paradise, and you are laying in it.

 photo cherriesone_zps2bcacfdb.jpg

A paper sac filled with cherries.  Red, warm and sweet.   You say you'll eat just one, but before you know it . . . the sac is filled with nothing but pips and your lips and fingers are stained with sweet juices . . .

You should have bought two sacs . . .

 photo sadsmile_zpsb8493b04.jpg 

I saw this and it made me smile.   It's the back of an old wind up clock, but it looks so sad . . . probably because it is one of the last of its kind . . .

I miss wind up clocks.

A thought to carry with you through today . . .

⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯¨♥♥♥
The fact that I can plant a seed 
and it becomes a flower, 
share a bit of knowledge 
and it becomes another's,
smile at someone and receive a smile in return,
are to me continual spiritual exercises.
~Leo Buscaglia~   


 photo SAM_7962_zps7ad9f2d2.jpg 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . a Roasted Beetroot and Goat's Cheese Salad, with a marmalade vinaigrette.

Enjoy your Wednesday and all the small and wonderful things it brings!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!