Tuesday 17 October 2023

A Day Book . . .



 OUTSIDE MY WINDOW ...

Its garbage day and its raining.  More often than not we have some sort of precipitation on Garbage Day.  It is a very rare occasion that we do not.  Is it because it is Tuesday?  Is it because it is garbage day?  Is it just a coincidence?  We may never know  . . .  lol


 

"Completely and perfectly,
and incandescently
happy."
~Jane Austin

CORNERS OF MY KINGDOM ...

I love this little vignette which greets you right by my front door. It is filled with joy.  Gifts from much beloved friends.  The memory of making rabbits with my sister and the outfit she gifted  me with for Luna for my birthday, a geranium from Dan, Bumble from Mary,  Home/Heart from Elaine.  The Cheshire cat a china treasure that I brought back for mom after my first visit to the U.K.  My Mezuzah by the door, a sign of my faith and God's providence in having given me a place of safety to call my own. "You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."


 

I AM THINKING ...
About all of the turmoil that is going on in our world and the heart ache of it all. It makes me sad. Our God must weep huge tears at the choices some of his children choose to make. Agency.  The right to make choices. One of God's greatest gifts to us and so often abused.





ALSO THINKING ...

The girl guides were set up outside the Super Store when Cindy and I went on Saturday selling their cookies.  They had the cream sandwich cookies (above) and the chocolate mint cookies. I had to get a box of each. It has been years since I have seen or been able to buy Girl Guide Cookies, plus I love the organization. It holds so many happy memories for me, both of when I was in it myself as a child and from when my own girls were in it an I was a leader. 

In Canada we only have these two kinds. In the U.S. they have many more flavors. What's up with that?




UH - OH ...

When I called Dad this morning, he said he had been up since five. He says he has a cold. Who knows. Is it Covid, or is it a cold?  I don't know. Without testing him, we cannot be sure.  I know either way I don't want it. I think I will need to stay away from him for the next little while.  I cannot afford to get another cold after having been so sick with the last cold that he gave to me.  It was awful . . . 

 


MAKES ME SMILE ...

Diadamy loves books and reading as much as I do.  I love Diadamy.  I need to try make her some more clothes I think.  Cindy loves Diadamy.  She wants me to leave her to her.  lol  I have promised her that I will.  We are both huge doll lovers.  We did not have a lot of dolls when we were growing up, but we loved the ones that we did have. When my girls were growing up, Santa brought them a new doll every Christmas.  I think Santa was projecting his love of dolls onto them.  Oddly enough, Amanda never played with her dolls and Eileen always loved them to death and to pieces.


 

ON TODAY'S CALENDAR ...

It says, "A friend is the first one to come in when the whole world has gone out." I love my friends. I am very choosey when it comes to  the people I choose to call my friends. Not just anyone makes the pick. If I call you friend, you can know for sure you are amongst a group of elite people in my life.


 

LOVING ...

Sunny October days.  Filled with color and fresh air.  The smell of apples, pumpkins and leaves, and the waning warmth of the sun. Some days more than others.  The sky has more life in it than it has done.  I love the sound of the geese flying south for the winter, the chippings of the chipmunk, the cries of the jays . . . I love it all.


 

A DECISION ...

I think I need to get myself a new sofa.  I like the one I have, but it is so difficult for me with my arthritis. It is too low and too deep.  I need a higher one.  I have been thinking this for months now.  I hate to spend the money, and then there is the problem of what to do with the old one. I am sure if I put it on facebook to give away someone will come and get it.  I have loved it and I did love it but my body does not love it.




SOMETHING TO WATCH ...

The Ripper on Netflix.  A documentary on the police struggled to identify and capture a serial killer in Yorkshire in the 190's dubbed as the Yorkshire Ripper. I find shows like this fascinating, so long as they are not too gory.  I did not like the one on Jeffrey Dahmer. I could not finish watching that. It was just too horrific.



CRAVING ...

This recipe for Tennessee Onions looks positively fabulously tasty! I love onions in any way shape or form. These look amazing. One of these days I am going to try them for sure.




I AM READING ...


Once Upon A Time There Was You, by Elizabeth Berg 

 Even on their wedding day, John and Irene sensed that they were about to make a mistake. Years later, divorced, dating other people, and living in different parts of the country, they seem to have nothing in common—nothing except the most important person in each of their lives: Sadie, their spirited eighteen-year-old daughter. 

Feeling smothered by Irene and distanced from John, Sadie is growing more and more attached to her new boyfriend, Ron. When tragedy strikes, Irene and John come together to support the daughter they love so dearly. What takes longer is to remember how they really feel about each other. 

Elizabeth Berg’s immense talent shines in this unforgettable novel about the power of love, the unshakeable bonds of family, and the beauty of second chances. 

 As you know I am a real fan of Elizabeth Berg. I just love all of her books and this one is no exception. I am loving this one too!!


 

TRACING THE GOODNESS ...

Every day may not be a good day, but there is goodness in every day. My days are filled to overflowing with blessings, too numerous to count. I lay in bed at the end of each day and trace the goodness of the day I have just experienced. Being able to count the joy creates a life which has purpose and meaning. Last night I was practicing walking. I was able to walk five times in a row all the length of my house from the closet in my bedroom to my front door and back again.  It had its painful moments, but I did it.  That was one of my good things from yesterday. Cat cuddles. Conversations with loved ones.  A warm dry place to lay my head.  having enough. Enough of everything and then some. Being able to share of my abundance.  Its all good.  I am truly blessed.


 

A THOUGHT TO CARRY WITH YOU ...

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
•。★★ 。* 。•。
 *.˛.Now and then, in this workaday world,
things do happen in the delightful•。★★ 。* 。
storybook fashion, & •。★★ 。* 。
what a comfort that is.•。★★ 。* 。
~Louisa May Alcott•。★★ 。* 。
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。




IN THE KITCHEN TODAY  ...

My Vintage Menu Madness, with a menu taken from The Best of Shaker Cooking, published in 1970.  This is true comfort food.  I really love doing these Vintage Menus.

And that is my day book for this week! I hope that you have a beautiful day today, filled with love and light. Whatever you get up to, don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

8 comments:

  1. Wise to keep a distance from your dad.Plus the new covid tests are needed not the old.A sofa is very important..Try them out before buying.Ive had mine for 22 yrs lol and the downstairs one..set almost 45 yrs..We keep everything forever.Funnily enough I am making an onion pie at some point today.FB inspired ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are risers you can get to go under the couch legs, and pillows to make it less deep. Less expensive than a new sofa. I am planning to do just this, because my sofa has the same problems. Too low and too deep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie! I've been reading for a while but this is the first time I've posted. :) As far as your couch problem, if the legs can unscrew, you could put risers on them to raise the furniture up to a better height without having to buy a new couch.

    We got one for free and it was so low to the ground I could barely get up from it! The risers help dramatically.

    Just a thought! Thanks for everything you post, I really enjoy it! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Marie, Its so delightful to read your blog, you have lifted my spirits in a time that has been very down for me. Beautifully set out with comfort at every section. I've looked up that author Elizabeth Berg and have ordered one of her books. I think her style is like that of Anita Shreve who was a great favourite of mine. I haven't been blogging much of late but you have spurted me to write more regularly, Every Blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a happy day Marie! xox, V.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marie, should you consider buying anything new, without getting rid of the sofa, and if you have the room, invest in a recliner. There are many that are smaller, but should you ever need to sleep in a reclined/upright position, it's worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a welcoming arrangement when you enter your house. I was a Girl Guide leader/volunteer for almost 20 years, love their cookies. Hope your Dad is feeling better and it doesn't develop into something worse. I agree you need to keep your distance for awhile. Try longer legs on your couch, another job your wonderful Dan can look into We went for blood work this morning for the new doctor family group, then out for breakfast. Stay healthy, enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your dad feels better soon. Hope it isn't Covid. I know it's hard for you to stay away from him but you don' t want to get ill again. You were really sick last time. I'm seeing more people wearing masks. We never stopped wearing ours and we just got our Covid boosters. Take care. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!