Wednesday 27 May 2020

The Humble Life . . .



One of my favourite books to read when I was a girl, was a book called “The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew.” It was written by a woman named Margaret Sidney in 1880. The story was about a family of five children who lived in very humble circumstances with their widowed mother, whom they called Mamsie. Oh how I loved to read about their adventures in their little brown house.

They were poor and the oldest two children Ben and Polly and their dear mother worked constantly to help keep the wolf at bay from the door, but they did it with a wonderful air of gaiety and strength of spirit that seemed to be so very marvellous to me. They had lovely names like Polly and Ben, Phronsie, Joel and Davie, and I have only now just realized that the book I had was only the first of a whole series of books. Oh, how I would love to read the rest of them and I think that I will, if I can find them.



I remember reading about them baking a cake for their mother one day. She worked so very hard doing mending and ironing for others and they wanted to do something special for her. They made a simple cake of brown flour with cinnamon for it’s flavouring, with a few sticky raisins tucked inside, the “receet” for it written out on a scrap of brown paper. It sounded so good to me. I wanted to bake a cake for my mother too, but, alas, my mother didn’t allow us in the kitchen to bake with her. I was allowed to sit and watch, but she was not one who wanted anyone messing about with her cooking or getting in her way.

 The Pepper family had a provision room (doesn’t that sound nice) that was not much more than a tiny shed tacked on to the side of their house and was more often empty than full, but oh how lovely it seemed to me to have a whole room dedicated to nothing more than holding all the provisions they would need for cooking their meals in the little brown house.

I expect that is why I love my larder so much now and I like to keep it full up, much to Todd’s consternation! It makes me feel good and secure to see all the packets, tins and glass jars all lined up on it’s shelves, and the potato bin below full up with potatoes, both white and sweet, and onions and squash. When you have a full larder, a delicious and decent meal is never very far away from the ends of your fingertips, and it is never much bother to whip something up to eat when unexpected company drops by.



 
Each chapter in the book began with a scripture taken from the Bible. That only added to the magic of the words written on it’s pages. I had been taught that the scriptures were valuable beyond measure and if the book was good enough to contain snippets of this gold, then it was valuable too. I truly did cherish it. I suppose in reading it I learned some very valuable lessons. The lessons of thrift and making do, and finding joy in simple things and pleasures.


“Oh, I do wish," said Joel a few mornings after, pushing back his chair and looking discontentedly at his bowl of mush and molasses, "that we could ever have some - thing new besides this everlasting old breakfast! Why can't we, mammy?" 

 "Better be glad you've got that, Joe," said Mrs. Pepper, taking another cold potato, and sprinkling on a little salt. "Folks shouldn't complain so long as they've anything to eat."


Nothing ever sounded more delicious to me than mush and molasses or cold potatoes with salt, as I read these delightful stories filled with hope and dreams of ships coming in and better tomorrow’s ahead.




I wanted to be Polly . . . with her younger brothers and sister looking up to her in abject admiration . . . her very capable hands taking such very good care of them and of the house, in their mother‘s absence. She had such a good and cheerful heart, despite anything that life threw at them. She never got discouraged, and if she did, it was never for very long, as her gentle and strong spirit was always able to life her above her meagre circumstances. She was indeed the hub of that family wheel and it’s strength, the glue that helped to hold them all together.


I always wanted to be that glue . . . that strength.

I suppose I was always a nurturer and a carer, and I still am. It really gives me such great joy to be doing for others and so I think I have ended up being a bit like Polly after all. I wait for my ship to come in as well, but in the meantime, I make the best with what I have been given and I am truly able to find joy in most circumstances. Perhaps that is the real treasure to be found in a happy life, being able to pluck joy from the ashes life deals you . . .  I like to think so anyways . . .

A thought to carry with you  . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
Some talk to you in their free time,
and some free their time to talk to you.
Learn to tell the difference. •。★★ 。* 。 



In The English Kitchen today, the anything but humble Apricot & Mustard Glazed Rack of Lamb.  Oh boy but this is delicious and very simple as well! That glaze is amazing.  

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday. The sun is shining here again today!  We have just been so blessed with the weather!  Don't forget! 



═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
 


And I do too!   



14 comments:

  1. Oh, Marie, that was one of my very favourite books, too - The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. I so enjoyed your reminiscences about the book. I remember reading it over and over again. I loved how Polly and Ben secretly planned Christmas for the younger children. The book was pure enchantment. I would love to read it again. I'm pretty sure I still have a copy somewhere. I can see the cover in my mind's eye. That was the only one of the series I ever read. Hugs and love, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find some of them online to read Elaine! Why am I not surprised it was one of your favourites also! I had my copy up until the late 1990's when my ex husband gave all of the books I had saved from my childhood to a friend of his for her Grandchildren. Livid doesn't even begin to cover how I felt! Those were just about the only things I had left from my childhood and I treasured them. Some of them I had received as Awards at school and were inscribed. Love and hugs. xoxo

      Delete
    2. I can certainly understand your distress when you found out your precious books had been given away without your permission. Yikes! Why would he do that? Never mind, that's a rhetorical question. Take comfort that your books probably enriched the life of another small child. Did you read Susan's new post? Always lovely. Hugs, Elaine

      Delete
    3. Just about to read it now. It came through in the night when I was asleep! I try not to dwell too much on things that irk me like him giving away my books. Immediately after I wanted him to go and get them back, but he refused. Anyways, all water under the bridge now! xoxo

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite books as well. I believe Project Gutenberg has the remaining books in the series and they are free to download to your tablet to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never even heard of the book! Too bad..
    I went to church religiously with my mom back then I would have loved it.
    Y0ur meal is five stars Marie..And we can all tell what a great nurturer you are!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Monique! My father is the one who took me to church. He still watches mass every Sunday on the TV. xoxo

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a wonderful book series, but I'd never heard of the Peppers. So true we should be happy with what we have, it could always be worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just loved the Pepper family Pam. They were great stories! xoxo

      Delete
  5. You made being poor sound romantic and wonderful which I know it is not that at all. I do love to look in my pantry and see it full. During the start of our whole quarantine I was grateful for always keeping my pantry stocked. I go on one and a spare so the one we are using or have used and a extra.
    I tried lamb just once and did not like it so I have never tried it again.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do know it is not romantic, but I think it is an extra special blessing to be the kind of person who can find joy in even very humble experiences. Sometimes it takes a while to find the silver lining and we can only find it in retrospect, but I firmly believe that we can take something positive out of every experience. I like to keep a well stocked pantry as well! It has helped us out so many times over the years! xoxo

      Delete
  6. I so enjoyed the story of the Pepper Family. I remember reading it too. I'm not sure if I was able to read the series. I do remember that the story was wonderful . I love the simplicity of life then and though they didn't have a lot they were happy. I too love that scripturas were part of it. I wish children of the day could read these kinds of book and real feel the humility found within. I find our children are just way to spoiled; I fear. Lots of good families but are missing out on the fun of years passed.
    This brought back some sweet memories and I loved it all.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find some of the movies on YouTube of the Little Peppers. I love old movies. I find that today they are updating the old stories to fit modern tastes and values. I wish they wouldn't do that. I think there is a great deal to cherish in the values of the past. Love and blessings to you LeAnn! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!