Monday 9 December 2013

Small and Wonderful things

  photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

 "The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

 photo bc68e55750750ef4abcaea14153a0582_zpsa465b47a.jpg

The music of Mindy Gledhill.    I could listen to her sing for hours and to the same songs over and over again.  I just adore it.  Her voice is so sweet and her songs make me feel so happy inside.  I think my favourite song of all of hers is My Little Red Bike.  When I listen to that song I am a little girl again riding my bicycle down the street with the wind blowing against my face and a smile as wide as Texas on my face.

 photo 9f12346e1e8eb7790e0352e71369e127_zps764c9e03.jpg

Baby blessings at church.   They always make me cry.  Yesterday our Bishop's six week old son was blessed.  A group of worthy Priesthood holders from their family gathered around little Luke, cradling him in their arms, whilst his father gave him a name and pronounced a blessing upon him.  It is a beautiful thing to witness.  There were both of this wee one's grandfathers, and all of his uncles and his father.  To see them together like that participating in this very beautiful ordinance and promising en masse to care for this child's spiritual well being, and to hear his father speak words just for Luke, brought down from heaven . . . it was very touching and moving to witness.

 photo 1474477_393925174082161_1830726749_n_zps09871261.jpg

Walking through the neighborhood in December and seeing all the Christmas lights.   I have always loved this.   When the children were small we would always take a drive through the neighborhood during the Christmas season to see all the lights.   They always make me smile and feel all fuzzy inside.    It's not quite as picturesque as this painting, but always a joyful thing to witness nonetheless.   Christmas lights are beautiful to see.

 photo brambly-hedge-kitchen_zpscb09ac18.jpg

Christmas preparations . . . baking the cookies, making the cranberry chutney, making the fruit cake and the Christmas pudding . . . putting up the decorations, addressing the cards . . . it all makes me giddy with excitment.   I just love Christmas.  Always have.  Always will.   It's not about presents, because in truth, I haven't really gotten a Christmas present in years.   When the children were growing up any money we had was spent on them, and now as an adult any money we have is spent on the grandchildren . . .  it's about the feelings that abound during this time of year.  The peace on earth good will towards men, the Christ Child, the carols, that feeling of love which abounds.

  photo gratitude_zpsd5a81fcb.jpg 

Living my life with a grateful heart.  Being able to find joy in the smallest and simplest things . . . when you've cracked that, you've got it all.   It's not about being rich, or having whatever you want.  It's about wanting what you already have.  Being content instead of always yearning for more.
That's where true happiness is to be found.  I have found it.

We had our first rehearsal for the Nativity last night.  It was fun.   Not long now so Todd and I must be more vigilant in learning our lines.  WE will have to practice every day if we are going to do it justice! 

Photo: Happy Birthday to my beautiful baby girl!  I hope you have a lovely day.  Love from, momxxoo

This is our Amanda, age 9 months.  It's her birthday today.  She's thirty four.  It's hard to believe, but I guess it's true!  She was such a beautiful baby, and now she is a beautiful woman and mother of two herself.  I love her with all of my heart.  I wish for her the happiest of birthdays.

Shall I leave you with a thought for today?   But of course . . .

Most of the shadows of this life
are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson  



 photo SAM_2215_zpsc87d4b70.jpg 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Linda's Bean Salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!