Saturday 21 December 2013

A Letter to Santa . . .


   photo 936597_398777896930222_994202402_n_zps3def6d4a.jpg

I had to go to the grocery store yesterday to pick up a few things so that I can work on some of the food for tonight's Evening in Bethlehem party at the chapel.   We thought we would get there early and be home again.   Apparently everyone else felt the same as the store was jam packed to the rafters.  I half expected it to be anyways, so that was ok.  I really only had a few things to get.

When I got up to the cash register area, the one at the end didn't have anyone much in the queue so I got into that one.   As luck would have it, the woman in front of me had almost all of her things on the belt when she realize that someone had pinched her bottle of whiskey and so she said to me, "I'm just going to dash back and get one."   No problem said I.  She was a bit longer and I started to worry because almost all she was buying had gone through the register, but then she returned.  Sigh of relief.   "There wasn't any left on the shelves," she said, "So someone has gone to get me one from out back."  (That's probably why some nice  naughty person had pinched the one out of her cart!   Happy Christmas!)

When she got out her money to pay, she had the vouchers which most customers had been saving over the past 4 weeks towards her Christmas shop, but nobody had told her that you had to cash them in at the Customer Service Desk first before you try to pay at the til.  So she had to dash back to the Customer Service Desk and wait in a queue there to get the proper thing that she could use.

 photo ce61ed7227671ee367c060b7865a30b8_zps6e1e7a1b.jpg

In the meantime,  someone had gotten behind me and put their things onto the conveyer belt.  You should have heard the noise and complaining she was making.  Fair dues, she only had a few things, but really . . .   The cashie rat the til was one I often use.  She is a little Philippina woman and always cheerful and smiling, very congenial.  I felt quite sorry for her, the abuse she was getting.  It really was not her fault.  You could tell she was upset at what the woman behind me was saying.  She looked very dejected in her cute little reindeer hat.  So much for the season of Good Will!!  I was not going to let the bad attitude of someone ruin my Christmas or the cashier's, and so I assured her I was not bothered in the least . . .  with a smile, and I could tell she appreciated my patience, as . . . when all was said and done, she wished me a very enthusiastic Merry Christmas when I finally got my own things through and had paid.  That alone was worth the wait!

I don't understand people.  It was not the cashier's fault.  It wasn't even the woman ahead of us in the queue's fault.  She was simply having a bad day.  Nothing was served by complaining about it.  It didn't get us through the queue any faster!  Fair dues . . .  the lady behind me might have been having a bad day too, and the extended wait at the check out might have been just one more thing to add to the list of horribleness.   I have no way of knowing.  I only know it cost's nothing to be kind and the rewards are worth their weight in gold.  After all it is the Season of Good Cheer, is it not?  I would much rather be nice than naughty.

 photo 6eccf4893b0bfaae967082bb8902c4c6_zpsc140330c.jpg

It isn't easy to figure out how to impress the old man who decides which children have been naughty or nice, and which will receive the really good toys. Does it help to have really good cookies and milk waiting for the jolly old elf? I started thinking this morning what if I could write a letter to Santa today? What would I ask for?? Would my hopes and dreams be different than those of a child??? In alot of ways yes . . . but in others maybe not . . . Here goes.

 photo SantaClausImage4.jpg

Dear Santa,
I've tried to be a really good girl this year, although I know that I messed up a few times and did a few things I shouldn't have. I am hoping that at this late date, that won't really matter and you will perhaps overlook the things I shouldn't have done in favour of the good things I did do. I really already have almost all the things I need or want so I guess I am really and truly blessed, but there are a few things you could help out with if possible.

 photo 50a82d78a12142de61397c1333df2225_zps34018d43.jpg

First of all I'd like a magic pill that would make me stop eating all the things I shouldn't and help me to eat only things that are good for me. I'd really like to be a size 10. A big part of me knows that if there really was such a thing you'd be skinny, and since you are obviously not, this is a futile wish, but it never hurts to ask, or so I've been told.

Do you think it would be possible to  add a few hours to every day???  I never seem to be able to get all the things done that I need to get done! A few hours extra in the day would be a really big help. Bear in mind, of course, that when I have to be doing something I really don't feel like doing, I'd like the time to go a bit faster.  I know you can do it . . . You're Santa Claus!

 photo SAM_3407.jpg

I have been racking my brain trying to think of some way you could improve on my husband, but I really can't think of one.  I guess I am a rare bird and got really lucky there, except I think he would like a bit more hair on his head, so if you could grant that one wish for him, I'd be really grateful.  Personally I'm not bothered.  I love him just the way he is.

I'd sure like to be able to get up in the morning without feeling the aches and pains of an aging body and it would be really nice if I could look in the mirror and see a 20 year old looking back at me instead of this 50 something year old. A tall order I know. In the meantime I'll settle for just being able to get up in the morning . . .

 photo Vintage_Christmas_Manger_Scene.jpg

If you were really able to grant all my wishes I'd wish for world peace, brotherly love, an end to world hunger and global warming, and for polititians that were honest and truly representative of the wishes of their constituents, but I know that is an impossibility . . . at least this side of the millenium.

 I'd wish for all eyes to be turned to the manger on this most holiest of holidays.

Finally, I hope that you have a safe trip and that Mrs. Claus has your jammies and slippers all warmed up and waiting for you when you get home from work.

Happy Christmas,
and much love,
Marie

PS - Do you like Peanut Butter Fudge???   I sure hope so because that is what I made . . .



In The English Kitchen today . . . Mom's Peanut Butter Fudge.

 Have a wonderful Saturday, and remember . . . it cost's nothing to be kind!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!