Sunday 13 October 2013

Small and Wonderful Things

  photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

 photo 5888da07cd58df6ebc50e8dd6d8b0d8b_zps573d8cad.jpg

This weekend is the Canadian Thanksgiving.  We celebrate Thanksgiving a month earlier in Canada, not sure why.  I have heard different reasons for it being so, but it doesn't really matter at the end of the day.  Thanksgiving is Thanksgiving.  I rather like the American way of doing it nearer the end of November as it kind of jolts us into the Christmas season.

I think I feel homesick the most at holiday times.  That is when I miss my family most of all.  In reality it's not Canada I miss so much as it is the people I love that I miss . . . and nothing brings those feeling more home to roost than a holiday.

 photo 805c1173827e92b5cd54dd9b85a2ea3f_zps7635b4e1.jpg
(source)

We always did the holidays large in our house.  With five children and a bazillion relatives always coming  for the day, it was hard not to!  We often invited singletons from my ex's work place as well for the feast.    A million potatoes would be peeled, a humongous turkey would be roasted, and about a trillion side dishes prepared.   I would probably spend about a week ahead of time getting together the things like my special homemade cranberry sauce and a variety of pies.  There would be . . . along with the turkey and stuffing of course . . . mashed turnips, mashed potatoes, carrots, peas, bean casserole . . . oodles of gravy.  Dinner rolls. Pickles and the cranberry sauce . . . and at least two types of pie . . . the pumpkin and probably pecan, and if I had had the time . . . apple.  With whipped cream and or Ice Cream.

Nobody went hungry.

 photo fceff09dc4a07c1fbf5229c4044e1d7e_zpscad8063c.jpg

Most importantly of all though . . . what was served up was the feeling of family . . . that feeling of belonging to something which was greater than life itself.  Home.  Love.  Gratitude.  Togetherness.

I have many fond memories of those holidays tucked into my heart and I cherish them.  I take them out every year and hold them in my hands for a few tender moments, and then I tuck them back in for safe keeping until the next year.

 photo Thanksgiving2_zps3f2d8f0a.jpg

This is a picture of my daughter in law Anne and my youngest daughter (Amanda) together at the park in Fredericton.   Amanda and Tom must be visiting Tom's parents for the holidays.   What a wonderful opportunity for my son Anthony and his family to get together with Amanda and hers.   Cameron looks like he is growing like a weed.   It is nice to see my daughter coping as a new mom in one of those intimate moments that I have missed with all of my children in their duties as parents.

It's also nice to see that they are enjoying great weather for the holiday weekend!

 photo Thanksgiving2013_zps8e6201c4.jpg

My son in law Tom, having his ear bent by Gabriel (my eldest grandson) and you can see Maryn there in the background playing in the dirt.   I think she likes playing in the dirt.  A family memory is being built and that is what holidays are all about.

I am grateful that my family is forming traditions of their own, and I am truly grateful that some of them are being shaped together.

 photo sitting.jpg

A thought to carry with you through today . . .  

ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸. If there were a secret garden,
What would it comprise?
Fragrant flowers, a babbling brook, butterflies?
Dragonflies, birds, and bees,
there would be all of these.
But most of all, within ‘that place’,
Tranquil peace and serenity await;
Ever there for me and you to relax and renew.
So every morning before you start,
Visit the ‘secret garden’ of your heart.
~Linda Wall Hall


  photo SAM_1114_zps94308210.jpg 

I'm sharing my secret recipe for a delicious Peanut Butter and Chocolate Sauce in The English Kitchen today!  There is a plain chocolate sauce for those of you who aren't into chocolate and peanut butter together as well.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!