Wednesday 19 June 2013

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.


 photo 2948270040084443975LmMWah_ph.jpg    

The roses which are blooming profusely in my garden at the moment.  They're so beautiful.   We have a lot of different kinds.  I don't know their names . . . just that I love them and they are gorgeous.   How can anyone look at all of the intricacies and beautify of any bloom and not see God?

I see God everywhere . . .

 photo f271f4af1c6512f54baef4392554213c_zps35692bcb.jpg

Meals shared with good friends.   We had some good friends over to supper last night and had such a lovely time.   I think there is no finer way to enjoy friendship with each other than to break bread together . . .  mi casa est sous casa . . .

I just love having company for supper and getting to cook for others.   That's what I used to enjoy most about my job down south . . . getting to cook for others all the time.   It was like having company every night of the week!

  photo SAM_6408_zps66608b93.jpg

I haven't share a photo of this little dear in a while.   She brings so much joy into our lives.   She is really enjoying these drier warmer days.   She loves to run about in the garden and keep it safe from predators, like the neighborhood cats!  They like to hang out in the reeds by our pond and mither the fish.    She likes to chase them out of the reeds by our pond . . .

And yet they still come back?   They can't be very smart cats.

 photo 576630_10151645729385546_1281504311_n_zps1b8f738d.jpg

This little dear warms my heart.  She is so sweet.  Those boots are never very far from Maryn's feet.  I think they are her favourite thing to wear.  Her mom's baby is due any day now . . . I think Maryn will be a great big sister.  No idea if it will be a boy or a girl . . . but this is one Grandma who is pumped no matter what!

 photo image_zps53e80c37.jpg

I know . . . it's two minutes of my time that I will never ever get back . . . but the laughs are priceless . . .  there is this program on the iPad that you can take distorted pictures with.   When I was home recently . . .

 photo image_zpscf39b5b5.jpg

Eileen and I had so much fun playing with it!   We laughed and laughed.

 photo image_zps52f2340b.jpg

Tim was not amused . . . although he did enjoy The Ultimate Dog Tease on YouTube.

Family times . . . they're the best of times.

 photo 995324166f6e11ea7de5489c207ff89c_zpsd48f85b8.jpg

It's bad . . . I know . . . but it's sooooooo good.   I confess.   I cannot resist having cake for breakfast if there's a cake in the house.  I am such a bad puddy tat.

This is probably why I look the way that I do . . .

 photo SAM_6393_zpsfcb2ee4a.jpg

Dandelion wishes . . . I can never look at one of these without feeling the magic.  I know to some they are weeds . . . and weeds which breed hundreds and thousands of other weeds, but I see wishes.   Multitudes of wishes and dreams and . . . as we all know dreams can come true, and wishes too!

  photo tumblr_m5nhpwJ1u81qmqz9ho1_500_zps96955d93.jpg

“Youth can not know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young.” 
~JK Rowling, Harry Potter, The Order of the Phoenix

I am grateful for my "young" heart which enables me to be silly sometimes and laugh at myself in a multitude of ways.  Oh, I know . . . that first look in the mirror in the morning is a real kicker some days, but I still feel inside as I did years and years ago. 

That's probably one of the reasons I can eat cake for breakfast and not feel overly guilty about it.

 photo tumblr_mi9sgdDCTB1qiyrh5o1_500_zpsa40b199e.jpg

Chives and chive blossoms . . . they add immeasurable goodness this time of year to my salads and dinners.   What savoury thing doesn't taste or look even tastier with a smattering of these scattered over the top!  Not much . . . in my opinion.

 

Baked Top Hat Pork Chops.   They're whats cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . and they're mighty good too!

A thought to carry with you through today . . .

"Smile!  It may never happen.   And if it does, well . . . we'll deal with it then."
~The wisdom of . . . moi

Happy Day All!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!