Tuesday 2 April 2013

The Simple Woman's Daybook


FOR TODAY, April 2nd, 2013...

Outside My Window...

The sun has risen, the day is upon us.   It feels very cold.   Todd checks the temperatures every day and I think yesterday he said we were as cold here as in the Yukon territory in Canada.  Mind you . . . I could have that wrong, so don't quote me on that!

I am thinking...
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being."
~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I think that it is very true that if you tell a child day after day that he is stupid or useless, etc.   he thinks that all he is and that is how he acts.  It is probably the same with adults.  I've seen some very disturbing pictures lately with adults having tattooed  puppies, babies, etc.   I think to myself oh what a broken world we are living in . . . it saddens me to see such things.

I am thankful for...

The Sister Missionaries.  We have three of them here now.   We also have two Elder missionaries, whom I am also grateful for.  Today the Sisters are coming here for tea.   I can't wait.  I am doing them a tea party with finger sandwiches et al.   You can't do that for the lads.  They would not appreciate it in the same way.  I thought the girls would be thrilled to have a tea party.  We are having the lads next week.  I'll cook them a hearty meal.

From the kitchen... 
Not a heck of a lot at the moment, but that will all change in about an hours time!
 
I am wearing...  

Pink and grey PJ's and my robe and slippers.   They help to keep me warm.
 
I am creating... 


 photo powwowcopyrighthospital_zps96fdd117.jpg


This is the final picture done of the Children's book I've been working on!  Yay, all done!  There are also three other smaller ones, but they are like snapshots.  One is of a ball of yarn and some needles, another of a cat's whiskers waving magically and a third is of some magic words. It's been so much fun doing this project.  A lot of work, but yes, a lot of fun too.   Here's hoping and fingers crossed that the writer is able to have it published.  Until then . . . none of us get paid!

I am really thinking I want to do some crocheting.   I have the yarn . . . I just have to find the impetus.   If you click on the picture above it will take you to the source.   They have changed Pinterest and I don't know how to embed images in my posts anymore.  It's all Greek to me.   If you can talk me through it I'd be much oblidged!

 
I love this little fabric mouse pad.  Why didn't I think of that???  I have lots of scraps etc.  I think I'll make a couple.

 photo owl_zps248bcd3c.jpg

I am loving this little felt owl.  I have a thing for owls.  When Todd and I first married he had a taxidermy owl that some old lady had given him.   It was quite unusual.  I'm glad we got rid of it though . . . I didn't like it very much.   A felt owl is a lot nicer.

I am going... 
Presidency meeting at the chapel tomorrow night, but that's all my plans for the week.  I told you I was becoming a bit of a stick in the mud didn't I!

I am reading...

My Berlin Kitchen, by Luisa Weiss.  I am finishing this up now.  It's been a cracking read.  If you love "Love" stories and recipes, this is your book.


As Always Julia, the letters of Julia Child and Avis Devoto, by Julia Child.  I have always had a fascination for Julie Child, ever since I was a child and saw her cooking on the television.   Here was a woman doing what I wanted to do.   It's early days yet as I have only just begun this book, but I'll let you know how I get on!

"Frank, bawdy, funny, exuberant, and occasionally agonized, these letters show Julia, first as a new bride in Paris, then becoming increasingly worldly and adventuresome as she follows her diplomat husband in his postings to Nice, Germany, and Norway."



  
While We were Watching Downton Abbey, by Wendy Wax. I have only just discovered this book and as a Downton Abby fan, I  am intrigued.  It's about a bunch of people who get together each week to watch Downton Abbey together.   It comes out on the 2nd April.

When the concierge of The Alexander, a historic Atlanta apartment building, invites his fellow residents to join him for weekly screenings of Downton Abbey, four very different people find themselves connecting with the addictive drama, and—even more unexpectedly—with each other…

I am hoping...
My brother's MIL had surgery on her brain for a tumor about 10 years ago.  Last year at this time she had somewhat of a stroke caused by scar tissue from the original operation.  They rushed her to the hospital again this past weekend for what is apparently the same thing.  Her name is Toshika.   If you could please keep her in your prayers that would be just lovely.  I am hoping that she recovers from this latest episode with no lasting side effects.

I am hearing... 
Ordinary morning sounds.   My play list, Mitzie snoring . . . the clock ticking.  My fingers clicking on the keys.  Nothing changes . . .

Around the house...

I found these pictures yesterday in one of my photo bucket albums and thought it would be fun to show you some of them.  They were taken at one of the dinner parties I used to do for the people in the Big House.   I did all the cooking, serving and the table setting.  The Mrs did all the flower arrangements.  I thought it would be fun for you to see some of it all.

 photo Tulips2.jpg

Her flower arrangements were always gorgeous and no expense was spared.  I think the Mr used to do his nut over it all sometimes.  It was not unusual for her to spend as much as 8 or 9 hundred pounds on flowers for just one party.  She did do a nice job with them though . . .

 photo Kithcen2.jpg

And they would be everywhere.   When you are talking about a Manor House and sometimes the guest house as well . . . that is a lot of rooms and a LOT of flowers!

 photo Roses2.jpg

They would be tucked into every corner . . . so that everywhere you looked was a feast for the eyes.

 photo DR2.jpg

The table in the dining room was always beautifully set.   There were a variety of china sets, glassware, cutlery etc. to choose from.   Her table flowers were always very beautiful.

 photo DR4.jpg

Altogether it was all very, very elegant.   A real feast for the eyes.   I have to say that the food was always pretty good to . . . ahem . . .

  photo Fire1.jpg

This was the room they would have their after dinner coffee and chocolates in.  It was called the Linen Fold room and it's walls were paneled in a beautiful wood paneling with a folded linen pattern carved into it, original to the house back in the 1500's.  That fireplace was HUGE.  I always felt sorry for the housekeeper who would have to keep it clean and lay the fires.  So much work.

Coffee photo Coffee.jpg

This is the coffee tray laid out for afters.  You can see from the number of little demi tasse cups how many people there would have been at this dinner party.   Everything was always so very elegantly done.


One of my favourite things . . .  



I am quite terribly fond of aprons.  I need to wear them more often.   My mother always used to wear one while she worked about the house.  I don't think she does these days.  Women don't much anymore.   There is something very comforting about seeing a woman in an apron though . . .

Something new about me ...
I experienced my very first kiss from a boy when I was 16.  It was at the house of a friend and we were playing spin the bottle.   The boy had buck teeth.   I was most nervous and so was he.  All I can remember is his teeth pressing against my lips.  Poor lad . . . why is something so simple as a kiss accompanied by  so much myth and angst when you are sixteen???  (I dare say it is a lot younger age these days!)

One of my guilty pleasures ...

 photo SDC16264.jpg

I just adore pizza.  I could eat it at least twice a week if Todd liked it too . . . alas he doesn't.  I normally make do with little frozen pizzas just the right size for me.   (This is a larger one above that I made a long time ago.)  My cousin back home owns a pizza restaurant in the local town near my mom's called The Pizza Factory.   He makes good pizza.  His dough recipe is a closely guarded secret.

Pet Peeves...    




I am usually not political, but our present government is really getting on my pip.   Punishing people and degrading them for things that are not their fault in a lot of cases.   Punishing people for not working and having to avail themselves of benefits.   I know there is a certain element of persons who do belong in a "Benefit" culture . . . generations of families who have always been on benefits and have never worked and have no intention of ever working, and that is wrong . . . but what of the person who has worked and paid taxes and then lost their jobs and in a horrible economy is unable to find a new job because they are either too old or not skilled enough . . . these are people who have paid into the tax system for years.   They shouldn't be punished or lumped into the same group as the latter.  It's not fair.  And don't get me started on this new "bedroom" tax . . . In my opinion you cannot in all justness do this to people without offering them an affordable alternative.  It's despicable.   I seriously doubt the Tories will be voted back in at the next election.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...

 photo HEVER065.jpg
(A picture I took at Hever Castle a long time ago)

“All truly wise thoughts have been thought already thousands of times; but to make them truly ours, we must think them over again honestly, till they take root in our personal experience."
~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

This quote reminds me of that scripture which says that as a man thinketh so is he.   It's so true, both for good and for bad.  I choose daily to fill my mind with things that are good and worthy and wholesome.  It does not come naturally for man to do so . . . but with practice it can be as natural as breathing.

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:

If you judge people, you have no time to love them.
~Mother Teresa

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!  

 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Spaghetti with Butternut Squash, Onions and Cheese.
   Have a lovely day all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!