Saturday 11 February 2012

Poetry Saturday . . . The Star



Twinkle
, Twinkle, little star
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.



When the blazing sun is gone,
When he nothing shines upon,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.



Then the traveller in the dark,
Thanks you for your tiny spark,
He could not see which way to go,
If you did not twinkle so.



In the dark blue sky you keep,
And often through my curtains peep,
For you never shut your eye,
Til the sun is in the sky.



As your bright and tiny spark,
Lights the traveller in the dark . . .
Though I know not what you are,
Twinkle, twinkle, little star.
~Jane Taylor



You know my whole life I have been singing "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star," and until this morning I never realized that there were more verses or even knew who wrote it. I had always thought it was just a little child's nursery rhyme.

It actually is an early nineteenth-century English poem, first published in 1806 in Rhymes for the Nursery, a collection of poems by Jane Taylor and her sister Ann. Born in 1783, Jane wrote the poem at the age of 23. You can read more about her here, on the wikepedia page. It's all very interesting and tragic. She died at the young age of 40 of breast cancer. I wonder how they know things like that . . . amazing to me.



The Wiggles for your amusement.

At any rate that is my poem for today! Oh, I do so love poetry, don't you?? I also love all these starry pieces of artwork that I have showcased here this morning as well. You can click on the source links at the bottom of each piece and see more of the work of these very talented artists. I am hoping to get into my artroom at some point today myself. (Fingers crossed!)

Here's another star!! A star in my kitchen in the way of a delicious casserole that we just love. It's a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken and one that my kids always really enjoyed. I have never been to Mexico. I have never even been to New Mexico, but I love anything with a bit of Mexican flavour! Ole!


*Chicken Enchilada Pie*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

A Tex Mex favourite, lightened up a bit. Delicious as ever.

8 flour tortillas for burritos
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 cup cooked long grain rice
2 cups grated low fat Monterey Jack Cheese
1 (15 ounce) tin of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (19 ounce) tin of Red Enchilada Sauce
1 cup of sweet corn, thawed
1 cup of thick and chunky tomato salsa
2 TBS thinly sliced spring onions, green and white parts

To Garnish: (optional)
reduced fat sour cream
chopped spring onions

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Spray a round (1 litre) baking dish, 9 inches in diameter, with some nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

Cut 5 of the tortillas in half. Cut the remaining tortillas into 2 1/2 inch wide strips. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, rice, 1 cup of the cheese, the beans and 1 cup of the enchilada sauce. Mix together well.

Layer 4 tortilla halves in the bottom of the baking dish. Top with 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce and half of the chicken mixture. Top with 2 tortilla halves. Fill in any empty spaces with 3 tortilla strips. Spoon the corn over the tortillas. Spread the salsa over the corn. Layer with 2 more tortilla halves and 3 strips. Top with remaining half of the chicken mixture. Finish layering with the remaining 2 tortilla halves and strips, the remaining enchilada sauce, the remaining cheese and the 2 TBS of spring onions.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until the mixture is heated thoroughly and the cheese has melted. Cool for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges to serve. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and some spring onions if desired.



In The English Kitchen today, a delicious Treacle Gingerbread Loaf.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!