Tuesday 19 July 2011

The Simple Woman's Day book . . .



FOR TODAY, July19th, 2011...

Outside My Window...

It is wet and overcast . . . although not raining at the moment. It's also quite cool. What happened to summer? I think we had it in April!! Here's hoping September is a good month and makes up for it. We will be in Cumbria and I am hoping it won't rain every day.

I am thinking...
About Lura and wondering how her operation went yesterday. She has been on my mind constantly and the longer it goes without hearing anything, the more worried I get. I am praying in double time here, and placing all of my trust in the Lord, which is as it should be.

I am thankful for...
I've been dealing with a legal issue over these past few months, which goes back to my previous marriage and the financial settlement which was arranged. We are finally beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel. I was quite stressed about it yesterday morning, and beginning to think I might be dead before it was resolved, but after a few e-mails and a telephone conversation, I am feeling a lot more optimistic about things.

From the kitchen...
Leftover muffins and fruit, lots of lovely, tasty fruit. I love summer!

I am wearing...
A turquoise nightie and my slippers. Comfy, comfy, comfy . . .

I am creating...



This is my newest piece that I was working on yesterday afternoon. As you can see friends were very much on my mind. I will be putting it out mainly as cards, but if anyone should want it as a print that is also very do-able! Slightly different colours and older looking girls for this one!

I am waiting on an order I placed with Moo cards for stickers to put on the back of my cards. I thought I had paid extra for them to be delivered by last Friday, but alas, I misunderstood and it was this Friday coming. I know . . . Wot am I like???

I am going...
Not a lot on really. Meetings tomorrow night and that's pretty much it. I have my one step program on Friday, which I have missed for two weeks running and can't miss this week, and my reading lessons that I am giving every day. Other than that my calendar is empty!

I am reading...



The White Queen, by Philippa Gregory

Brother turns on brother to win the ultimate prize, the throne of England, in this fictionalized historical account of the wars of the Plantagenets. They are the claimants and kings who ruled England before the Tudors, and now Philippa Gregory brings them to life through the dramatic and intimate stories of the secret players: the indomitable women, starting with Elizabeth Woodville, the White Queen.

The White Queen tells the story of a woman of extraordinary beauty and ambition who, catching the eye of the newly crowned boy king, marries him in secret and ascends to royalty. While Elizabeth rises to the demands of her exalted position and fights for the success of her family, her two sons become central figures in a mystery that has confounded historians for centuries: the missing princes in the Tower of London whose fate is still unknown. From her uniquely qualified perspective, Philippa Gregory explores this most famous unsolved mystery of English history, informed by impeccable research and framed by her inimitable storytelling skills. I am really enjoying this book thus far, but then Philippa Gregory is a favourite of mine. This is the first book in a series of three, so watch this space!

I am hoping...
That the news about Lura is good news. I am also hoping that I hear something soon. I am on pins and needles the longer it goes.

I am hearing...
Early morning sounds . . . the clock on the mantle humming as the wheels inside it turn. The odd car as it goes by. Mitzie snuffling here curled up behind me on the sofa. The tap tapping of the computer keys as I write. Birds singing in the garden. All is right with the world.


Around the house...
Not a lot to do but Ironing. We are really enjoying this diswasher . . . marveling at how clean it gets the dishes. I am especially loving the glass ware and cutlery! I love squeaky clean! Todd is loving it too, especially as his fingers have been blissfully dry since it's arrival!!

One of my favourite things...
At the moment is puttering in my organized craft room. It is so nice to know where everything is and to have room enough to putter! Next we will be tackling the sheds!! (A tall order and it calls for nice weather too!)

Here is picture thought I am sharing...




The yellow rose bush out front is filled with blooms right now, as are all the rose bushes in the back. Our Hydrangea are also filled with lovely blooms . . . so, too, the lavender, sweet peas, petunias, geraniums, daisies, etc. Our garden is a riot of bloom and colour. I love it all so very much. The two pears on our little pear tree get bigger each day, and the apples on our apple tree as well, and they are getting rosier and rosier! I do love our garden . . . we are so very blessed. Mitzie has the run of it now and is really enjoying it as well. She likes to dig though and often gets her paws all muddy and is not too happy when I have to wash them before she comes in! I do so love summer, rainy or dry . . . and I see the sun peeking over the row of houses in front os now so a sunny day just might be in order! Here's hoping!

And just as a closing thought for today . . .

A magical perspective: If, in your mind, you can bring up the drawbridges on yesterday and tomorrow and restrict yourself to today . . . your cares will evaporate and your joys will skyrocket. ~anonymous

You cannot change the past. You cannot control the future. There's no point in worrying about either one. Just make your present the best that you can possibly manage and all will be right.

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!

I am being optomistic in posting this recipe here today. I am thinking of hot summer days and sunshine and the need for cooling desserts!!



*Almond Toffee Ice Cream Loaf*
Serves 8 to 10
Printable Recipe

A tasty way to beat the summer heat!

1 cup of toasted slivered almonds, divided
2 cups of vanilla wafer crumbs (about 42 wafers)
3 TBS butter, melted
1 (14 ounce) tin of sweetened condensed milk
1 TBS vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 (1/4 ounce) English Toffee candy bars, crushed
2 cups of heavy cream, whipped

Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with aluminum foil, allowing the foil to extend above sides of pan. Finely chop 1/2 cup of the almonds and then combine them with the wafer crumbs in a medium bowl. Reserve 1 cup of crumb mixture and set aside. Combine the remainder with the melted butter, and press firmly into the bottom and halfway up sides of prepared loaf pan.

Combine the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and almond extracts in a large bowl and mix well. Stir in the reserved crumb mixture, crushed candy bars and remaining 1/2 cup of chopped almonds. Fold in the whipped cream.

Pour this mixture into the prepared pan. Cover tightly and freeze for 6 hours or until firm. To serve, remove from pan. Invert onto a serving dish and peel off the foil. Garnish as desired. Slice to serve.

Note: To toast almonds, place almonds in dry nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat, shaking the pan until the nuts are lightly browned.

Here in the UK where Vanilla Wafers are not available use rich tea biscuit cookies or even plain shortbread biscuits. You want a plain vanilla flavoured biscuit.



Baking in The English Kitchen today, some delicious Queen's Muffins, stogged fully of buttery goodness and tasty dried currants!


5 comments:

  1. I to like you await news about Lura. I am sure all will be well but would like it to be confirmed..
    I do love all the news you bring us it's like you are sitting here with me..One day for sure that dream will come true...
    Love the latest card it is lovely...
    Have a good day despite the heavy showers we are promised...
    Love Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back from my vacation and it is truly summer time here. We have the lazy hazy days of summer here. It's good to have time once again to comment and catch up with my blogger friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Marie! We're just back from our little trip--had FAB time! Feeling a bit tired, and trying to get back in the swing of things again, but would rather be back whizzing around LONDON...LOL! Do hope all goes well for your friend Lura. And for your legal matter under way--fingers & toes crossed! We're having sun today--shall I send you some?! Oh, this dessert you share today looks ever so dangerously good... I'm not sure I dare to make. You know the saying, "a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips"...LOL! Happy Week, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie:
    Lovely post, as always. The news of Lura couldn't be better. There is NO cancer and they did NOT have to make a large incision, just three little ones I think. What they thought might be cancer was scar tissue. I'm overcome with joy and saying many prayers of thanks. Our girl is going to be just fine!!! I know she'll post just as soon as she can.

    Have a blessed day...I guess for you a blessed evening. Love you, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a lovely post as always.I wish I was there to see your beautifull graden it sounds lovely. I love the yellow Rose's.
    I'm so relived that Lura is going to be just fine. Take Care xxxooo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!