Friday 15 April 2011

Making a Brand New Beginning . . .



I doubt that there are very many of us who would consider that we have led a perfect life. As hard as we may try, it is a very rare soul indeed who has no regrets, who has made no bad decisions . . . who has done things that they wish they hadn't of done, or even left undone things they should have done.

Although it's very important to recognize when we've messed up and made mistakes, to acknowledge them and repent . . . it's equally as valuable to know when to forgive ourselves and to move on. The erasing of past errors is not always possible, in fact it's rarely if ever possible. It is a far worse mistake that we make, if we allow them to entirely overshadow our futures.



You may never be able to change other people's behaviour . . . they may never see it in their hearts to forgive you . . . but if you have done your best to right a wrong, and they still cannot accept this, then you just have to leave it behind . . . and move forward knowing you have done your best.

"Though no-one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start now and make a brand-new beginning."

I like the thoughts of that.



I am off to my One Step Program this morning. I am going to go to the exercise class that they run in the hour before the counselling session. I hope that I can cope with it. Of course I can. When I think of my friend Lura and all that she is going through right now . . . a simple exercise class does not seem all that insurmountable! Please continue to keep her in your thoughts and prayers for her road to recovery. She just loves to hear words of encouragment, so please stop by and give her some happy words and thoughts if you can. Thanks so much!

Has anyone been watching the new Mini Series on TV about the Kennedy's?? We are thoroughly enjoying it. It's amazing how well the actors have been picked out to exactly resemble them! I think that the fella that's playing Jack Kennedy is the spitting image!

I love oatmeal cookies. They have such a wholesome flavour and I like to think I am eating something somewhat healthy when I have one. Here is one of my favourite recipes. I'm always trying out new ones in the search for that elusive one . . . one that's crunchy and yet still has raisins in it. These are not it, but they are very tasty nonetheless!




*Oatmeal Chip Cookies*
Makes 36
Printable Recipe

A delicious oatmeal cookie chock full of nuts, chocolate chips, raisins and cornflakes!

3/4 cup of butter, softened
3/4 cup of soft light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1 large free range egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups quick cooking rolled oats (not instant)
1 1/2 cups cornflakes cereal
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and both sugars in a large bowl until fluffy with an electric whisk. Beat iin the egg and vanilla. Whisk the flour, soda and salt together in another bowl. Stir this dry mixture into the creamed mixture. Stir in the oatmeal, raisins, cornflakes and chocolate chips.

Drop by heaped tablespoons onto the parchment lined baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between each cookie. Bake in the heated oven for 12 to 14 minutes, until the edges and tops begin to brown. Remove from the pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.



Over in The English Kitchen today I'm playing with my new Cuisinart Griddle and Grill and I've made some really delicious Turkey Panini!


6 comments:

  1. Good luck this morning at your first step class. I am sure you will do ok. just take it easy...no throwing your legs over your head...at least this week !!
    I am so pleased that Lura is doing so well. Also happy to know you are able to have a wee chat with her..
    Love Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning, dear Marie! Hope all goes well with your One Step today, and that you enjoy it even. :o) Very glad Lura is holding steady! I will stop by and leave here a hello and get-well. We've not seen the Kennedy's series, but saw about it online. Do hope they show here, as we would be interested in seeing. LOVE your oatmeal cookies-YUM! I've not been baking lately on purpose though--still trying to cut back on that sugar. ;o) Hope that you all have a great weekend there now. It's supposed to be sunny here, so we plan to enjoy! LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they start you off slow and easy at that class. It will take time but I'm sure you will benefit from both. Diet and exercise are 2 things I need here. Hopefully with the nicer weather coming I'll be outdoors more. When I was cleaning up around the flower beds last week I found that I was very out of shape. Have a great Friday !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Marie!

    We watched "the Kennedys" last week and found it totally absorbing. You know it was set to show on regular network TV, then the Kennedy family put a lot of pressure on them so that they wouldn't show it, so it sat in the can for awhile. Then Reelz Channel had to moxy to buy it and show it anyway. So glad they did!

    I love your thought for today...AND the lilacs. Our lilacs don't bloom until May.

    Love,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh... forgiving ourselves and moving on - I agree that is a very hard thing to do. I know that I still mull over mistakes I made a very long time ago and it takes a lot of emotional energy to stoke those fires.

    Hoping that all goes well with your step class and that you get a boost to go on with your new, healthy direction.

    Those lilacs looks wonderful. I'm envious - we won't see them for at least another month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you dear for asking people to stop by my blog and say hello.
    It is my touch to the outside world and I really do love hearing from people. Days are long. I am glad I have my laptop to help me fill the time.
    Much love, Lura

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!