Saturday 13 February 2010

Saturday This and That . . .



Love is much more than a tender caress
And more than bright hours of happiness,
For a lasting love is made up of sharing
Both hours that are joyous and also despairing.
It's made up of patience and deep understanding
And never of stubborn or selfish demanding.
It's made up of climbing the steep hills together
And facing with courage life's stormiest weather.
And nothing on earth or in heaven can part
A love that has grown to be part of the heart
And just like the sun and the stars and the sea,
This love will go on through eternity,
For true love lives on when earthly things die,
For it's part of the spirit that soars to the sky.
~Helen Steiner Rice

Just a sweet little poem I found to share with you in honor of Valentines Day tomorrow. I thought it very true and very fitting. I am so very blessed to be able to share my life with a special person who fits all the criteria from above! This has been a great blessing to me. I spent a great many years married to a man who was the complete opposite of this and I despaired of ever having a good person to share my life with. Having been through that only makes what Todd and I have all the more precious to me. We go together like peas and carrots!



I believe it is what is called the Yin and the Yang. What makes it even more special and meaningful though, is our mutual love of Christ and the Gospel. I waited a lifetime to find a man that I could share this very special part of me with. We are all very spiritual creatures, our spirits being the very part of us that is eternal . . . to be able to share that with the one that you love, is a priceless gift and should never be taken for granted. It creates a truly special bond and strength in your relationship. I wish everyone could experience this!



Oh, but it has been so very cold here these past couple of days, with a biting Arctic wind that just penetrates your very bones! I think they say it's coming from Siberia and I believe it!!! We are just not very used to that sort of thing here! I've gotten to wear my mittens for several days though, so that's good! They haven't gone to waste.

We are having the two missionary sisters over for supper tonight. That should be fun. There is a new one now and it will be nice to get to know her a bit better. I think she's from Down Under, so she must really be feeling this cold!!!

Here's a delicious supper I made for Todd and I the other night, Sweet and Sour Pork. It is a recipe that I got from a cookbook I have had for years. America's Best Loved Community Recipes and is attributed to a lady named Connie Dosen from FLorida. It is outstanding! I hope you will give it a try!



*Sweet and Sour Pork*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

Sweet and Sour Pork is only a few steps away with this very tasty recipe. We love this as a rare treat. Who needs to go out for a takeaway when you can make this delicious recipe at home and so very easily!

1 20-ounce tin of pineapple chunks, in juice
2 carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch chunks

Sauce:
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 TBS ornstarch
1/2 cup catsup
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
1 TBS soy sauce

For the meat:
1 TBS all purpose flour
1 TBS cornstarch
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 pound boneless pork, cut into 3/4 inch cubes

Cooking oil for frying

Vegetables:
2 medium onions, chopped
1 green sweet bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch squares
1 clove of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
2/3 of an English cucumber, unpeeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
6 dried mushrooms, soaked and sliced (optional)

3 cups hot cooked rice to serve



Drain the pineapple, reserving 3/4 cup of the juice. Set aside.

In a saucepan partially cook the carrots in boiling water to cover for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking water. Set aside. If you don't have 3/4 cup, add more water to make it up.

To make the sauce stir together the sugar and 2 1/2 TBS of the cornstarch together in a large saucepan. Add the reserved water, pineapple juice, the catsup, rice winegar and soy sauce. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for one minute more. Set aside and keep warm.

In a small bowl, stir together the flour, 1 TBS of cornstarch,salt and pepper.. Whisk in the egg, stirring until you have a smooth mixture. Add the pork cubes and stir to coat them well.

In a large heavey skillet, heat cooking oil to the depth of 1/2 inch deep. Once it is hot add the pork cubes, a few at a time. Cook, turning, until they are browned on all sides. Remove from the fat with a slotted spoon to a pan lined with paper towels. Keep warm while you repeat with the rest of the meat.

Carefully add the onions, green pepper and garlic to the oil in the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove woth a slotted spoon and drain. Repeat with the carrots, cucumber and mushrooms (if using).

Stir the drained vegetables and pineapple into the sauce and heat through. Stir in the pork. Serve immediately with the rice.

Note - Dried mushrooms should be soaked for 30 minutes in enough warm water to cover. Rinse them well and squeeze to drain thoroughly. Remove and discard any tough stems. To keep the meat cubes warm, place the drained meat on a paper towel lined baking sheet in a warm oven.



There are delicious Almond Macaroons on The English Kitchen today, just in time for Valentines Day!


7 comments:

  1. Good Morning Marie.

    I hope it warms up for you and soon. This winter has been harsh in many places.

    I hope you enjoy your meal tonight and have a great time getting to know your knew young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poetry.What it says bout love is so true. When we are young we see only the beauty and freshness of roses. Experience teaches us that there's more to it. It's in our hands to keep them blooming. Have a great weekend Ma'm. Happy Valentine's to you and your loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I stopped by this morning! I loved the poem . . . and I'm so glad that you found someone who is wonderful and special, with the same beliefs as you, that's so important for a true, lasting relationship.

    The Sweet and Sour looks go delicious! I will certainly put it on my list of recipes to try! Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Valentine's Day
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely poem you found. It IS nice to be with someone who is so easy to be with isn't it? I wish you many more years of the same
    lots of love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sweet friend..the cookies and ss look so good! I'm so glad that you found a good man, one who honors the Lord and you..what a blessing! You have a good Valentines day and come say hi when you can :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, I love the quote by President Hinckley. I do so miss him, don't you? Did I ever tell you that he was Robert's great Uncle? Robert's Dad practically lived at the Hinckley home growing up near his cousins. What a privilege to have Pres. Hinckley be the great great uncle of my grandboys. In a million years I would never have thought that would come to be when Laura and Robert met. It is a small and interesting world. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post.

    Love you and hope your day with your Todd was a fabulous one.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you...you and I must not take the love we get from our husbands for granted. We are both blessed to have our sweethearts....and we don't need valentine's day to realize it.

    That pork looks so good. Yummy.
    Have a good day. I am thinking of you. Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!