Thursday 4 June 2009

Ordinary Miracles . . .



"On this June day the buds in my garden are almost as enchanting as the open flowers. Things in bud bring, in the heat of a June noontide, the recollection of the loveliest days of the year . . . those days of May, when all is suggested, nothing yet fulfilled."
~Francis King


Once upon a time two men were sitting in a garden, enjoying the sunshine on a bright summer's day.

One turned to the other and said:

"If only God would perform a miracle before my very eyes, well then, I could believe in Him."

The other man looked at him, said nothing, and then simply bent down, plucked a blade of grass and silently held it out to his companion.



We are surrounded by miracles every day. They come in splendour and they come in silence. We can choose to pluck them, or we can go on our merry way looking for and expecting, but never seeing what's right before our very eyes . . . as for me and my house . . . well . . . you know the rest.

Todd and I went for a lovely walk last evening when I got home from work. Down the drive and into the village. All the foxgloves are out now, wild ones blooming in the hedgerows, just waiting for Mr Fox to come along and slip his golden paw inside . . other's around the edge of our garden, so pretty and so quaint. I love them so very much.



Our lawn is full of wild daisies and buttercups, at least, until it gets mowed again. It is so peaceful here where I live, a world within a world. Once the gates are shut at the end of the drive, we are locked away in a gentler place, surrounded by beauty and we need not ever think of the world beyond, or allow it to encroach upon our peace . . . all is quiet and still except for the chitter chatter of birds and the sound of leaf against leaf as the wind blows them together, gentle reminders of all the ways I have been blessed in this lifetime. May I never take all this for granted.



We had the most delicious chicken for dinner yesterday. I saw this recipe in the latest issue of Fine Cooking. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was something I had to make. I changed it a wee bit to suit our own tastes of course, which is a cook's prerogative you know. (I just love grabbing the ball and running with it!)



*Chicken with Chilies and Cheese*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Not only was this very quick to put together, but it was delicious. You can serve it with a rice pilaf if you wish, or spooned into warmed tortillas. Or . . . you can be totally hedonistic and serve it with both!

1 1/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
1 1/2 tsp mild chili powder (more or less to your own tastes)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 TBS sweet butter
1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen sweet corn kernels
1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
1 small green chili, seeded and finely diced (optional, and use care when handling. I wear disposable gloves)
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and minced
3 TBS fresh lime juice
1 TBS chopped fresh oregano, or 2 tsp of dried oregano
1 cup grated strong cheddar cheese
1 lime, cut into wedges to serve



Heat the broiler in your oven to high. Toss the chicken with the chili powder, cumin, some salt and black pepper and the flour. Shake off any excess flour.

Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. (Preferably oven proof. If it is not ovenproof, cover the handle with foil) Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides, some five minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate and set aside.

Add the corn, peppers, garlic and a bit of salt to the pan drippings. Cook, stirring, until the corn begins to slightly brown and caramelize. Return the chicken to the pan along with the lime juice, oregano and 1/2 cup of water. Cook, stirring, just until the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and transfer the skillet to the broiler. Broil until the cheese melts and begins to brown. Serve hot with lime wedges to squeeze over top.


18 comments:

  1. Foxgloves are so quintessentially English-Country-Garden aren't they? So evocative. I love that song that starts "How many flowers bloom here and grow in an English country garden........." then goes on to name lots of them.

    I'm going to go to work on this recipe and see if I can turn it into one I can have, though I suspect the butter will turn out to be crucial to the flavour, along with full fat strong cheddar. Anything else would be but a pale imitation.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have just a few foxglove growing in our flower beds. We planted them however, they are not wildflowers here. How beautiful it must be to have so many all around like you do. I hope you have a good weekend!I'll be off after work today and will check in again on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Foxgloves. I rarely see them and they are beautiful.
    I only have a minute to be on line but I wanted to say a quick hello and let you know that I am thinking of you. This is my last day at David's and I have a lot I want to get done.
    I may try your chicken recipe for dinner tonight. I have something else planned but your recipe sounds really good.
    I send love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! What a lovely lovely life. That chicken sounds absolutely amazing. I'm putting it on our menu asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The foxgloves in your pictures are beautiful.... I wonder if they will grow in Florida, will check that out :)
    Have a wonderful day :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love foxglove. It is truly one of my favorite flowers. I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little wonders...they are everywhere, if only we look! I so agree...Lovely post reminding us of that, Marie. :o) I just love foxgloves, especially the pink ones. We had some in one of the flower beds, but our cat loves to lounge in the bed among the foxgloves, delphiniums and peonies so much that some things never come back--LOL! My attempts at the English Cottage Garden borders continues... ;o) Love your photos here. And your recipe today is wonderful! Hubby would love it. Now we're back from holiday it's back to cooking and cleaning...I was fortunate and happy to have two weeks free from all that--but not back to reality--LOL! Happy Day sweet, friend. Hope we get to chat at the weekend! LOVE YOU ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your chicken dish sounds so good and I am making it tonight! Thanks for the great blog. I really love it.

    Valerie
    LDS in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  9. there is nothing better than an evening walk with the one you love:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you're pictures they are so pretty. The chicken dish is definetly a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marie -
    I can just image you and Todd walking down a country lane with foxgloves on both sides. Sounds so pretty and idyllic. Those flowers are beautiful.

    Your chicken and chilies dish looks delicious. Have a wonderful day!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word, I think I just drooled all over the keyboard. Good Grief that looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The foxgloves are among my favorites and i enjoyed these photos very much. Talk aobut one of God's beautiful miracles. I think it is so important to look for and recognize God's hand in our lives. Believing is seeing as they say, not the other way around. If you have 20 minutes sometime go to this sight and watch this amazing video. http://celebratetraining.com

    We saw this in church the other day and it is amazing. I think you would enjoy it on so many levels and that you will identify with it wholeheartedly. And since the video retails for $795.00 and you can see it for free in its entirety on the internet, it is a wonderful gift to yourself. If you do watch it, let me know what you think of it.

    Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. All you need is some tortilla wraps and some green salad for the perfect dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gee, that chicken mixture sounds wonderful. Relatively healthy if you don't use too much butter and cheese. I think I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds so tasty and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You always have such fabulous photos on your blog :) This chicken looks delicious and all the pics are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!