Wednesday 3 June 2009

My sister, my friend . . .



The first best friend I ever had was my sister, Cindy. I can remember not being very impressed when my mother brought her home from the hospital. Having been on my own for almost three years, I was most annoyed that someone else had arrived and was going to be taking half of my mother's attention. I told my mother in no uncertain terms that this baby had to go back! My mom said, okay . . . but that she would have to go with the baby, because it was too small and helpless to look after itself . . . and so, I relented and decided that the baby could stay. Little did I know that I was making a decision that would affect me positively for the rest of my life!

My sister was rather sickly as a child. In and out of the hospital with one fever or another, it would take the Doctors seven years to diagnose her correctly with Reumatic Fever. It was the Easter Holidays and we had both been in hospital to have our tonsils removed. One night a few days after the operation my mother woke up to find me dragging her down the hallway on a blanket to take her to the toilet in the middle of the night. Her leg muscles had failed her and I was doing my best to help her without waking up my parents. She spent several weeks in the hospital that time. I missed my companion, my friend . . . It would be months before she was back to normal . . .



I think that was the first time in my life that I was really afraid that she would be taken away from me. She had been my constant companion for most of my life. We shared a bed together, we played together, fought together . . . even then she was my best friend. She followed me around like a shadow and tried to be like me in every way. When my sister finally did come home from the hospital, she was bed ridden for quite some time. My mother put her out in the garden on a lounging lawnchair sometimes, once the weather got really warm. I remember her being all covered in blankets. I remember dancing and doing cartwheels across the lawn and bringing my other friends over so that we could entertain her and bolster her flagging spirits. That particular bouth with Rheumatic Fever left her with a heart murmur and she had to take pennicillan every day for the rest of the time she was growing up, but . . . if there was every anyone who was going to climb the tallest tree or swim the widest lake, it would be my sister. Nothing kept her down for very long, and if there was every anything going, you could be sure she would be right in the thick of it, and often dragging me in with her. (I do confess, that sometimes it was the other way around, but today . . . this is about her, not me!)



She really had a difficult time of it in her teens. The teenage years can be a roller coaster of emotion for most people, but it was really hard on us. My sister always seemed so angry and sad . . . she really put my parents through the wringer on many occasions, but that was just her way of saying, "Hey, here I am and I need lots of love and attention and help." My parents had quite a few marital problems, so much so that our emotional needs got lost a bit in the shuffle. I coped with them in a different way, but my sister, she coped by rebelling. We did argue and scrap a lot during those tumultous years, but at the end of the day we were always there for each other and we both knew it. We knew that even if we never had anyone else we'd always have each other. We used to talk about ending up like the Baldwin sisters from the Waltons, spending our later years living together as friends and companions, taking care of each other.

I really could spend hours writing about her. In my life, my sister has been my rock. I know always, that when the chips are down, I have at least one person in this world that will never judge me too harshly or find me wanting. She is my biggest fan and my largest supporter, and I love her with all of my heart. She is my best friend, and even though we may now live thousands of miles apart, she still means the world to me, and always will.



Speaking of sisters, I did another little painting yesterday evening. I was inspired yesterday afternoon when we were driving in the car and could not wait to put my paints to paper! This is just a little teaser of the original, which you will find over on Blossom Time Creations.

My sister and I have always enjoyed cooking and crafting together. We often did craft shows together and I have many fond memories of hours spent in each other's comfortable companionship enjoying those very things that we both love so much. Here is a treasured recipe she shared with me a very long time ago. It's not so easy for me to make over here, as you can't get the gumdrops needed for it, but I make sure that whenever I go home I pick up a bag or two to bring back with me so that when the inspiration hits, I am prepared.




*Cindy's Portugese Gumdrop Cake*
Makes one bundt cake
Printable Recipe

This is a recipe that my sister shared with me many moons ago. I am not sure what makes it Portugese, but whatever it is, it also makes it very delicious. This has become somewhat of a tradition in our family. My mother once baked one with half of a rubber spatula in it (not on purpose of course!). This is a tried and true family favourite. Another one from my Big Blue Binder. Tender, moist and full of gumdrops.

1 cup of butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs, seperated
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
generous pinch of salt
1 cup milk
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of candy gumdrops (the sugared ones), cut in half
(Leave out the black ones)

Pre-heat the oven to 150*C/300*F. Grease and flour a bundt pan and set it aside.

Cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, mixing them in wwell. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together the milk, lemon extract and vanilla. In another bowl whisk the egg whites until they are stiff.

Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, alternately with the milk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour, making sure to mix it well each time. Fold in the beaten egg whites very carefully with a rubber spatula. Finally fold in the cut up gumdrops. Pour into the prepared bundt pan, smoothing off the top.

Bake for 2 hours in the pre-heated oven, or until it tests down by inserting a toothpick in the centre and having it come out clean. If you feel it is browning too quickly on top, cover it with some aluminum foil. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 15 minutes at least, before you remove it to a rack to cook completely.


17 comments:

  1. Marie what are these gum drops like? We don't have many American lollies in Australia but we can sometimes get British ones.

    I loved your post about your sister. I was never blessed with a sister but I miss my deceased brother, my only sibling, every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetest post, Marie about your sister and yourself...what a lovely tribute to the unique relationship that is sister-friendship! Having just returned from two weeks visiting my sister and family, I'm really missing them...So this post really tugged at the heartstrings! The gumdrop cake is genial...I can imagine how magical it tastes. :o) Happy Day, sweet friend--LOVE YOU ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a touching, loving story. Thank you for sharing your family memories and the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))
    you've always been there for me and i love u!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have written such a lovely entry today about your sister and the love you share. I'm blessed with 2 sisters and it is a special thing to have them for sure. I hope your Wednesday is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MADE ME TEAR UP AND MISS MY OWN SIS!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles, would they do? They are kind of soft jelly sweets coated with sugar.

    I'm always glad my sis lives only 8 miles away. We were not inseparable as children, couldn't stand each other as teens but when we both married THEN we became sisters!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Marie about your sister.
    Love the cake with the gum drops in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sisters are just brilliant aren't they!?

    The cake looks brilliant, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful tribute to your sister. I got a little teary when I read that you were dragging her down the hall to go to the bathroom. How cute is that?

    Thanks again for a wonderful post and sharing a yummy recipe.

    Have a great day.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish my sister and I had a relationship like ya'll do. She's been in SA for a week and hasn't called me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved your post about your sister. They sure are gifts from Heavenly Father. It was a beautiful tribute. Sister relationships can be the best even through ups and downs. I sometimes feel bad for our daughter not having one... yet she does have entertaining brothers.
    My baby sister 12.5 years younger than I lives with us now, along with her 13 year old daughter. We sometimes are our sister's keeper!:-)

    The gumdrop cake looks delicious. I have loved finding a spiced gumdrop in a cake.. I will have to try your recipe.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your sister post Marie. Oh gum drops in the cake, I've never made one like this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet tribute to your sister Mair. She sounds like a wonderful person. It's so great that you are both so close now.

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  15. *Cindy's Portugese Gumdrop Cake* this is really great.. very tasty for my eyes

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a wonderful tribute to your little sister! it was so so sweet! i'm so grateful i too have a little sister. though we've had our ups and downs in life, she truly is one of my best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a wonderful post about the love between sisters. I do not have a sister but have always longed for a relationship like the one you describe that lasts a life time and beyond.

    I have been blessed to have been very close to my mother and my girls, Jennifer and Laura. That is about as close as it gets to having a real sister. And now I have my five beautiful granddaughters!

    I do have two younger brothers whom I adore but it is just not the same as the bonding of female hearts and sisterhood. I am so happy for you to have such a cute little sis!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!