Tuesday 19 May 2009

We likes what we likes and that's all what we likes . . .



Welcome to Tuesdays with Dorie, the wonderful online baking group that is baking their way through the delicious baking book, "Baking, from my home to yours," by the lovely Dorie Greenspan, one delicious recipe at a time. Each week a different member of the group gets to pick one recipe and then we all bake it. It's really a lot of fun and I really enjoy being a member.

This week Kelly of Baking with the Boys selected Fresh Mango Bread on page 45. I have a confession to make. I made this recipe way back when I first got my book, way before I even know the Tuesdays With Dorie group existed, and whilst I love, Love, LOVE mangoes! I did not love this bread. (Sorry Dorie!!) I hunted back through my food pictures this morning and was able to find one that I took of it.



I think I would have liked it better if the mango had been pureed and then folded into the batter. I was not overly fond of the chunks of mango in it. It's a texture thing I guess. I didn't like the feeling of it in my mouth and we all know how that goes. But, if you are a person that doesn't have a problem with that sort of thing, I am sure you will love it, because all of Dorie's recipes are quite tasty and delicious, for the most part. If you wanted to take a look at the recipe then pop on over to Kelly's page and have a gander and don't forget to check out the Dorie Blog Roll as well. I am sure there were lots of ladies that loved this and did a really great job of baking it!

We don't always like everything that is put in front of us to eat. We all have different tastes and issues with food. As a child I could not stand the texture of hamburger meat mixed in with anything else. Just the feeling of it in my mouth made me gag. The meat was all chewy and then whatever was with it . . . pasta . . . potatoes, whatever . . . that would be soft and mushy. The two together just grossed me out. On top of that my mom only ever bought really cheap hamburger, so there was always bits of bone and gristle in it, and that made me gag even worse. I used to have to endure hours of sitting at the table staring at cold, congealing ground beef because I just wouldn't eat it. Of course, having it sit there for hours did nothing to make it taste any better or more appealing. I tried hiding it.

Under the plate . . . not a good idea because it is discovered as soon as your mom moves your plate.

Under the dining room carpet . . . also not a good idea because your mom discovers it as soon as she hoovers the dining room.

Down the cold air vent in the corner of the dining room floor . . . great idea. Works a charm as your mom NEVER discovers it and you can get away with it for years. ☺

I am at the point today where I do enjoy a hamburger from time to time and the texture no longer bothers me for the most part. I can eat it as meatloaf, and as burgers, and I can even eat it sometimes mixed in with pasta. I only ever buy the extra extra lean though and if I get a particularly rubbery piece in my mouth that still does it for me and I can't eat any more of it, but thankfully there's nobody in this house that's going to make me sit and the table and stare at it for hours until I finish it. (Praise God!)

That's one thing I didn't do with my kids. I never forced them to eat anything they didn't like, which meant of course that, by the time I had my fifth child, it was really hard to find something for him to eat that he did like. (unfortunately he took on board his four siblings dislikes and then a few of his own!) I thought he would go to his grave eating nothing but mashed potatoes, corn, rice and white bread, no butter please. I just didn't want my kids to grow up with food issues. Thankfully now my youngest will eat just about anything, but it was touch and go for a number of years.

So no, this week there is no mango bread sitting on my counter tempting me to eat it for breakfast . . .

There's chocolate chip muffins.



*Chocolate Chip Muffins*
Makes 12 to 19
Printable Recipe

We love these muffins in this house. A beautifully dense and buttery muffin just filled to the brim with delicious chunks of chocolate. Try to use the best chocolate you can afford to buy. You can also use ordinary chocolate chips if you wish. I like to use a combination of semi sweet and milk when I use chocolate chips. We prefer the chunks though. These are incredibly moreish, just so you know.

2 cups flour
1/3 cup soft light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
200 grams good quality milk chocolate, cut into small bits
(I use Green and Black's organic milk chocolate)
1/2 cup chopped toasted nuts, pecans or walnuts (optional)



Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Generously grease 12 to 18 muffin cups, or line with paper liners. Set aside.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Whisk in the sugars, until the mixture is well blended.

In another bowl, stir together the milk, eggs, butter and vanilla. Blend together well.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and then add the milk mixture all at once. Stir together just to combine. It doesn't matter if the batter it lumpy. All you want is the dry ingredients to be moistened. Fold in the chocolate pieces and the nuts, if using. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them 2/3 full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until well risen and a toothpick inserted in the centre of one comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before removing the muffins from the tin to a wire rack to finish cooling. Serve warm.

These also freeze very well. To re-heat from frozen just pop the frozen muffin into the microwave on a piece of paper toweling and zap it for about 30 seconds.


17 comments:

  1. I'm surprised that you didn't like the bread!!! I loved it! And i love mangoes! But I can understand the whole stringy texture thing. Yours still looked delicious to me, nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you didn't like the mango bread, I absolutely loved it!! Also I had no issues with stringiness....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the retelling of your adventures as a child trying to hide the hamburger. That was so funny! One of my brothers was a very picky eater as a child. It drove my poor mom crazy and she was always making something different for him.

    I vowed I would never do that and I didn't. My kids very pretty good about eating and we never forced them either.

    We do have one grandson that doesn't like much of anything. Connor is small for his age and sometimes I wonder how he stays alive really. He doesn't eat any meat, vegetables, fruit. He does like cereal, cookies and peanut butter and plain cheese pizza. I think that is about it.

    Hopefully he will be like my brother and eventually outgrow it. My brother married a wonderful gourmet cook who rarely makes the same thing twice and it eats it all. Drove my mom crazy watching all that unfold after what she went through with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, those chocolate chip muffins look chunky and delicious for any old time of day. Sorry you didn't care for the bread, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, just goes to show not even Dorie can win 'em all!

    I used to be the same with minced meat as a kid. I couldn't bear the stuff and for the same reasons - bone and gristle (also little bits of what I took to be blood vessels). My mum sent a note to my infant school saying I should not be made to eat it (they usually made you eat every bit, if you sat there all afternoon!). I like it now though, now that I'm in charge of my own kitchen, but I still have a 'thing' about McD or Burger King.

    Angie's Mince Theory: The quality of the mince used in a Cottage Pie is in direct proportion to the quantity of 'other flavourings' needed to hide the nasty bits.

    love, Angie, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I diced mine really fine, because I didn't know if I'd like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ben's really weird about ground beef too. He can't stand meatloaf and is really picky about his hamburgers.

    You could do a drawing of Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, we all have our texture issues. Liver!!! It grows when I chew it. Used to have to not chew and swallow with HUGE gulps of milk when little.

    But Mango chunks in this cake. Perfect. It was really good, and spicy.

    Your choco chip cakelettes look really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I'd like mango chunks in bread either Marie, I much rather have these MUFFINS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol - so funny Marie! I have some texture issues too. Like bananas - I like the taste but not the texture. And I am with you on hamburger - only the leanest.

    I would take those chocolate chip muffins over mango bread any time!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. i loved reading all the ways you tried to hide your food. i remember i was actually lucky enough that my parents would leave the room and i would just run and throw in the trash(underneath other stuff of course). no one ever knew. . .well, except my siblings, who also did the same thing:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a cute post. I might have liked the mango I guess mainly because I like mango. As far as hiding our food we had to gag it down I hated that I always hated that for sure. Now the chocolate chip muffins hmmm that sounds intense.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those muffins are looking really yummy there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those muffins look nice yum!
    When I was a little girl I couldnt eat bread I would chew it and chew i but I just couldnt swallow it! I am fine with it now of course. Have a good day Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, this recipe looks great, I'll probably try it... :)
    I love your blog, so cute !!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, your picture from forever ago looks like it turned out really great! I didn't think my family would like thins either but they really did. Nice job on the Chocolate Chip muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The one time I tried to trash my food as a kid, I got caught by my cousin who was babysitting. I saw my older sister do it so I crawled under the dinner table towards the trash can and got busted under the table!

    It's too bad you didn't like the bread - I love it! I diced mine small and thought next time I should try it in chunks in hopes of bringing out the mango flavor.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!