Thursday 21 May 2009

My life is but a weaving . . .



My life is but a weaving

Between my God and me
I let Him choose the colours
He worketh subtlety.

Oft times He worketh sorrow
and I within my heart
Forget He sees the pattern
While I see only the part.

The dark threads were as needful
In the weaver's skilful hand,
As the threads of gold and silver,
In the pattern He had planned.

Not till the room is silent,
And the shuttle ceases to fly,
Shall God unroll the canvas,
And explain the reason why.
~Author Unknown

I have a dear friend who gives me things like this lovely poem from time to time. She knows that I really like things like this, and I appreciate her thinking of me so very much. I just loved the words in this poem. They really touched my heart and I wanted to share it with you, my readers, as well. I have long taken this stance on life and it's ebbs and flows . . . Life is hard, really hard. It has it's good points and it's low points, but you can turn the ebbs and low points to your advantage, simply by approaching them with a positive attitude and using them as teaching/learning experiences.



It was not easy to lose my home, family and friends. When I made the choice to join the church that I belong to, many of them no longer wanted to have anything to do with me any longer. It was probably one of the most heartbreaking times of my life. Even now, some eleven years later I sometimes question why, when I had made the right choice, this had to happen. My heart still aches from time to time. It probably always will. I didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now. I have faith though, that one day when the time is right, I'll know all the reasons why. I trust in my Heavenly Father, and in His son Jesus Christ, and while I may not always understand their ways, I know that all my life's experiences, both the good and the bad have helped to shape me into the person that I am, and I love that person, and who she is.

"Faith is putting all your eggs in God's basket and counting your blessings before they've hatched."
~Unknown




My Todd does love him some pork chops from time to time. I am always trying out different ways of cooking them. The secret to a tasty pork chops is not to over cook them and dry them out. In the old days people tended to cook all the moisture and flavour out of pork because they were afraid of getting trichinosis. It's not really necessary to do that nowadays. Whilst I would not eat them pink, you no longer have to cook them to death!





*Sage and Balsamic Pork Chops*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Sage and Pork is such a wonderful combination. It's one of my favourites. This is one of Todd's favourite pork chop dishes. I usually serve it with some mashed potatoes
and sometimes even colcanon. (An Irish potato dish containing cabbage and spring onion)

3 TBS olive oil
2 TBS balsamic vinegar
5 fresh sage leaves, chopped
a handful of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 (1 1/2 inch) thick boneless pork loin chops



Preheat the oven to 180*C/375*F. Place the chopped parsley, sage, garlic, vinegar and 1 TBS of the olive oil in a shallow dish large enough to hold all the pork chops in a single layer. Mix well. Add the chops, turning them to coat well in the mixture. Let sit for about 15 minutes, turning every few minutes.

Heat the remaining olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet. Add the chops and sear them well on both sides, until they begin to caramelize. Transfer the pan to the heated oven. (If your pan is not oven proof and has a plastic handle, cover this with some foil to protect it.) Roast the chops for about 8 minutes longer, just until the chops are cooked through and the juices run clear. Try not to over-cook them. The meat should be just firm to the touch.

Serve hot with any pan juices that may have accumulated spooned over top.


6 comments:

  1. Although I'm not of your faith, I too choose a church that my family was unhappy with. That was before I married. Now my own children have chosen to remain in the faith I choose and I'm so happy about that. Some are not as committed as others, but that too is their choice. God finds us no matter what church we attend and we are.

    I hope you got some rest after you long day/night of work.

    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iloved that poem too ,Ialso enjoyed the pictures of the cornflowers I love them ,and poppies .tho we dont share the same faith we do share a love of God ,and that is what helps us all to feel united .. hope you can catch up with some rest soon ...Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Jesse loves his pork chops, too! He says noone can make them as good as I do. I have to wonder if he's serious or if he's messing with me because he doesn't want to cook them. LOL

    You know, I have to wonder why people shy away from those who go into different religion than their own. I mean, to some degree, I understand if the person is constantly going on and on about how their religion is so much better, but for the majority, those people are still the same people as they were the day before.... ::sigh:: I don't know. Am I making any sense? Hee...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so sorry that you had to lose so much when you joined the church-that is just so so sad.

    you are such an example to me marie. you are a woman of great faith, strength and courage. it will all be worth it. i know it. love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog and am so glad I did. I love all your thoughts and messages coupled with great recipes!! I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here I am - reading in the wrong order again!

    When Jesus called His disciples He siad they should come now and follow Him. You did just that Marie and it's my guess He would be proud of you. I know I'm proud to call you 'friend'.

    This recipe is for today's lunch!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!