Friday 15 August 2008

The "F" word



"In our dialogues with others we must be an example of the believer. Conversation is the substance of friendly social activity. It can be happy. It can be light. It can be earnest. It can be funny. But it must not be salty, or uncouth, or foul if one is in sincerity a believer in Christ."
~Gordon B Hinckley

When I was growing up, I never heard my parents swear . . . not once, at least not that I can recall anyways. I never heard either one of them utter the "F" word or anything at all like it. In fact I don't think I ever heard that word from anyone until I was a teenager at least, and even then I didn't know what it meant. Likewise taking the Lord's name in vain. You just very rarely heard it, it just was not done.



It seems today though, we are surrounded with foul language. It is used in a lot of the shows on television and if it is after the watershed hour, then it isn't even bleeped out. I find myself cringing every time I hear the word, and especially when I hear people blurting out "Oh my G", or other forms of taking the Lord's name in vain. They don't even realize that they are doing it . . . it has become so much a part of ordinary every day language. Often you will hear people who profess to be atheists or agnostics saying OMG or JC . . . they don't even know what they are saying . . .



When I first came over here to England, I worked in a Care Facility, taking care of the elderly. When I first started working there, the language of the other ladies that worked there was appalling. Every second word seemed to be the "F" word and they took the Lord's name in vain something awful. I never did, and after a few days they started to notice that I didn't. One day one of them asked me how come I never swore. I replied that, quite simply, I was a Latter Day Saint, and that Latter Day Saints didn't swear . . .

After that, something beautiful started to happen. People stopped swearing around me. There were no more "F" words or taking the Lord's name in vain, and if occasionally someone did slip, they always apologized to me right away. I had not told them that they were offending me. I hadn't asked them to stop. I had just showed them by my still and small example that it was offensive. I didn't judge them, or tell them that what they were doing was wrong . . . I merely stated that it was wrong for me.



It's not so easy to impress film makers or television producers of the same thing . . . they quite largely don't care. As long as the money rolls in, it's all good to them. I just turn the channel if something is too profane. I may not be able to keep it from off of the airwaves . . . but I can keep it out of my home. That's one of the reasons that I don't watch Gordon Ramsay. I love cooking shows, as you probably could have imagined, but I cannot stand the foul language. He might be a great chef for all I know, but I won't listen to or watch his foul mouth in action. I just don't think it's necessary.

I am quite sure that at the beginning these words were put in for shock value and to grab people's attentions . . . but what's happened is that they have become a part of ordinary, everyday, acceptable conversation . . . and that my friends . . . is really sad . . . totally un-necessary . . . and for me . . . unacceptable.

Just my two cents worth this morning!

About 30 years ago now, I was visiting my sister in her home one time, and she made these totally delicious sweet and sour meatballs, using sausage meat. They were absolutely wonderful. I had never thought of using sausage meat to make meatballs before, but let me tell you, one taste of hers and I was totally converted! I hope you will be too.



*Cindy's Sweet and Sour Meatballs*
Serves 4

These delicious little meatballs are tender and quite moreish. They are also very easy to put together and quite quick to make. I always like to serve them with some steamed basmati rice or egg fried rice. Once you try this version you will never want any other, I guarantee!

1 pound of pork sausage meat
(my personal favourite is Cumberland, but
any kind will do just so long as it is highly seasoned)
1 TBS cooking oil

For the sauce:
1 large tin of pineapple chunks
5 TBS of cornstarch
1/2 cup white vinegar
the juice of one lemon
1 TBS soy sauce
1/2 cup soft light brown sugar
1 green pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
about 12 maraschino cherries, drained and cut in half

Lightly shape the sausage meat into round balls, about 1 inch in diameter. Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the meat balls. Brown them evenly on all sides. Remove them with a slotted spoon to a shallow casserole dish. Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F.

Drain the pineapple chunks, reserving the juice. Add enough water to the juice to make 1 cup of liquid.

Whisk together the brown sugar and cornstarch in a medium sized pot. When well blended together, whisk in the pineapple juice mixture. Mix until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice and soy sauce, mixing in well. Cook and stir over medium heat until the sauce begins to thicken and becomes clear and translucent. Remove from the heat. Add the pineapple, green pepper and cherries. Pour the sauce over the meatballs in the casserole dish.

Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil and then place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes. Un-cover and bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and serve hot.

*you will note that there is no seasoning in this. I find that none is needed as the sausage meat gives it plenty of flavour without needing any salt or pepper. You can add some garlic if you like, but once again, I don't find that it is needed.

26 comments:

  1. Mmmm.... I love sweet n sour chicken! I've never tried meatballs though -- I'm sure they're just as delish!! Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning..... we just got home from our day at the temple... I am really tired tonight but I wanted to take a min to say hello.

    I agree with your post today. I got so tired of hearing bad language all those years I taught high school. I guess the kids thought it made them sound grown up... so sad.

    I wish our media and other adults would set a better example for the youth. We won't tolerate or watch shows with bad language but a lot of people must not mind it or they wouldn't keep putting it in.

    I'm glad that your example encouraged the girls you worked with to find a better way of expressing themselves.

    It is just after midnight... I'd better call it a day....I hope you have a good one. Love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im sure the language is put in some shows just for effect. It does get old and not really nessecary. Im glad that people you worked with showed you respect and refrained from using bad language around you. It probably made them think about how often they use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear, hear !!!
    You know, I cant wait every day to read your blog.
    I always apprieciate the things you have to say.
    Have a great day Marie ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so in agreement with you Marie. I used to be an educator and even there I heard it from teenagers to the point that I couldn't imagine what they were hearing at home. One told me I was nice to him because they paid me to be nice. My reply was "honey they don't pay me enough to be nice to you! I'm a Christian and that's why I'm nice to you." blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said Marie I could not agree with you more. Many a time we sit down to watch a movie and it starts with the bad language we put it off. In real life you would think its the only adjective some people know. Love Joan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. in highschool i was actually known for not cussing. one girl actually offered me five bucks if i would say one cuss word. i took the five bucks...TOTALLY KIDDING! i liked that people knew my values and that i didn't talk with filthy words like they did. and i noticed a difference in the friends i made-they would rarely cuss in front of me and i appreciate that respect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a recipe my husband will definitely want me to make for him.

    Thanks again for writing such lovely, thought proving blog posts.

    (((hugs)))
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I so agree with you, Marie! Today's language spoken by so many is ugly, disrepectful, unnecessary and just plain sad...It's everywhere we go, so we can't avoid hearing it sometimes. But it's up to us not to use it and keep things cleaner! :o) I feel bad language is dispectful in all ways--those who choose to use it are disrepecting themselves by using it, and being disrepectful to those around them that have to hear it. It's a pity people don't stop to consider enough what's coming out of their mouths...But thank goodness many of us do...like you! This recipe today is great...my DH would love those meatballs! Happy weekend, my dear friend ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to make sure I temper my mouth around you whenever we come to England. I've got a bad habit of swearing when I get overtired or angry. It's not cute and I'm not proud of it, but it's my only vice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nummy! those look very moreish indeed! I agree with you so much, so tired of the bad language - EVERYWHERE! People have no decency any more. Much love - Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I agree! I hate how bad language is the norm now. It especially upsets me when I hear the Lord's name taken in vain. I'm only 38 but I remember children being shouted at in my Welsh primary school for saying OMG. Now I fear it's just regarded as slang by the majority of non Christians. Alas, my husband's mother and sister pepper their talk with "Jesus" and "Christ" - even though they know I am a Christian. One of my pals was married to a British Muslim man and he used to use "Jesus" as a curse word and she asked him what would he do if she started using Allah as a swear word and he finally understood.

    As my lovely Mum says whenever the subject of swearing arises ..."It's a waste of opening your mouth!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im in agreement with you Marie. But I have tosay when I m a little nerveous I said bad words, sometimes, Im not a saint and Im not pround of this. But in the normal life I dont like to say this words. One of the things that I really enjoy in the Bloggers food site if you see the most of this sites dont speak in bad words, maybe for the food, or the love of food I dont know but I think you have reason dear. xxxxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  14. But never said bad words with the name of the Lord of the Jesus, never I wouldn't because I love Him, you dont talk bad of somebody you love so much!!! xxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your post today. I work in a school, and the staff do not swear around the children of course, but when the adults are together it tends to start getting awful. Since they know my standards, things do change when I come into the room, and I do hear apologies when they slip. As Latter-Day Saints, it is good to know that we have an expectation, and that it offends our spirits when we hear it. We love those to whom this is a weakness, for we know we all have them.
    I make a very similar meal with the same ingredients minus the cherries, but have always used ground beef. I know my family would enjoy the sausage for a change. Thank you so much for brightning my day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I forgot to tell you about the meat I used for nachos. I used a sirlion steak and cut it into small pieces, then marinated it with Lowry's beef marinade. Then, I cooked it in a skillet with a little beef broth, onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper. That's it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum I will try your meatballs they sound so good.I dont like the F word. But the sad thing is it is used everywhere today and people dont think anything about it.The world is a sad place sometimes.
    Hugs Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all, I need those meatballs. They look so fun and family friendly.
    Next, I agree so much about the language. Living in UT, you don't hear too much so it strikes me doubly hard when I hear someone swear. We haven't had a TV connection for five years and counting and I don't miss it ONE BIT (except for Olympics and Conference, but I just walk across the street to my parent's house.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Marie, Hello again
    I am too tired to wait up for your Sat. morn post tonight. I was working on my patio plants quite a while yesterday before we left at
    2:30 for the temple. Even though I kept taking a dip in the pool, I think that the heat must have gotten to me. I could hardly function at the temple last night. In fact, when I was working at the end of a session, my supervisor had another sister come up and replace me. I was surprised that she did that but she told me that she was concerned because my face was so red and I was breathing fast. I didn't realize it, but I didn't feel good so I sat down and rested a few minutes before going to my next assignment. By the time we got home close to midnight I was exhausted which is not normal for me. I love working in the temple and usually feel great doing it.

    I've been worthless all day today. All I've done is sit and watch olympics and felt too tired to move. I have no excuss for being so tired because all I have done is rest all day... but never-the-less I am worn out tonight and can't wait up to say hi when you wake up and publish your post.

    Tomorrow, starting at 8:30 am we are involved in church activities which will take most of the day...so this may be the last chance that I have to wish you good luck on your talks for Sunday... I have no doubt that you will do great. If you need any inspirational ideas, I have a wonderful blog you can go to....it is filled with wonderful talk material.... try it out..
    http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com

    Good luck, Luv Ya

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with you on the language of the days. It's sad and if most of us walk out or like you say change the channels perhaps they'll get the message. At one point in my life I worked for the Federal Bureau of Prisons and some of the words I heard there were pretty bad I even had to ask at times if they were bad words as I had never heard some of them and the people thought I was lying but I wasn't. I left that job because of one of the reasons was beign surrounded by that kind of language. It shows what kind of education some of these "intellectuals" have when the vocabulary is limited to profanity. Thanks for taking a stand on it all.

    I'm going to try your sausage recipe as well. I've made sweet and sour but never with sausage so I'm going to try that I use pork ribs and that works good too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think one of my first words was sh*t because my mom said it so much. Nice, huh? My grandmother was appalled, as she should be. I swore something awful as a teen but I'm glad to say that I don't anymore.
    Love the meatball recipe. I wouldn't think those would taste good together but you know I trust you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So agree about the 'F' word, and can't stand to watch Gordon Ramsay...but love to watch cooking programmes.
    We are having 'Sweet and Sour' chicken tonight....yummy!
    Aileen....X

    ReplyDelete
  24. It makes me sad when I hear people take the Lord's name in vain. It doesn't matter what church you go to; it's one of the 10 Commandments, and it's broken every minute of everyday somewhere. One time when a co-worker did that...I gently said "I know him, he goes to my church." She gave me a dirty look but I never heard her say it again in my prescence. The sweet and sour meatballs sound yummy. I bet I could use my pre-made frozen meatballs from Costco for such a dish. Linda in the sweltering heat of western Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  25. Finding an awesome recipe on tastespotting = awesome

    Finding a recipe that I used to eat all the time as a youngster = fabulous

    Finding a fellow Mormon gallantly standing up to what she believes = priceless

    You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds good. I like the pineapple and maraschino cherries.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!