Sunday 27 July 2008

Finding Reverence




“Let knowledge grow from more to more
But more of reverence in us dwell;
That mind and soul, according well,
May make one music as before.”
~Alfred, Lord Tennyson


I think I was probably in my forties before I was ever able to take a holiday all on my own. My children were mostly teenagers by then and I really felt the need to go off somewhere all by myself and think for a time, sleep in . . . un-interrupted for twenty four hours if I wanted to, spend hours in contemplation without having to worry about anything or anyone else . . . unfortunately I couldn’t afford to go off to a special retreat or anything like that, which would have been ideal, and so instead I went off to my Sisters’ for a few days, which was just as noisy and busy a place as my own had been, but still . . . it was some else’s noise and some else’s busy mess, and not my own. A change of scene is as good as a holiday, or so they say.

There is something most beautiful about the hush of reverence that can envelope you when you go off somewhere all on your own. Reverence is an altered state of consciousness. A place of being, where you feel awe and wonder, all because you know you are in the presence of Spirit. You know the feeling well . . . it’s the very reason we all begin to speak in hushed tones when entering a cathedral or other large place of worship. It is a feeling that wraps you in perfect peace, in a place where there is no past and no future, only the beauty of the here and now of special moments when you are at one with Heaven and earth . . . your body and your soul being singular with each other.



I hadn’t realized then, that I did not need to go away to a special place to achieve this special reverence, this solitude. I didn’t know that I had the capacity to have this feeling and this rest deep within myself all along. It has been something I have only discovered now, in my later years, but something I wish I had taken the time to find when I was younger. You can achieve this sense of being whole, through meditation or quiet prayer, or it can be through the simple task of creating something beautiful . . . be it a special meal, or an act of sewing something special for yourself or someone else, picking up a brush to paint, weeding the garden, washing the dishes . . . Concentrating on one simple task, one task at a time and doing it with care and attentiveness can invoke serenity and reverence in our lives, without the need to take oneself off to a cloistered nunnery or retreat. We don’t need to run away to find peace of mind, or solitude. It can be woven into the very fabric of our daily lives.



Gratitude is indeed the portal to being able to experience more reverence in our daily lives. I once read a quote that said, “If the only prayer you say in your daily life is ‘thank you’, that would be enough.” I can’t remember who said it, but I know from experience that it’s true. The joyful life that we are meant to be living starts with the sense of reverence we can seek, find and restore to our daily lives, the sacred things that we can find in the very ordinary, as long as we go about the process of seeking with gratitude in our hearts. We can be reverent and at peace, right where we are . . . true joy and reverence really begin at home.

This is the perfect way to while away a Sunday afternoon . . .



*Maple Walnut Ice Cream Sundaes*
Serves 1

This hardly seems a recipe, it is so simple. You can multiply the amounts according to however many people you are wanting to serve it to. Once you taste how delicious it is, and see how easy it is to do, you will wonder why you didn’t think of it yourself!

¼ cup of pure maple syrup
¼ cup chopped walnuts of pecans
1 cup of vanilla ice cream

Heat a non stick skillet over medium heat for a few minutes and then toss in the nuts. Toast them in the heated skillet for about two to three minutes. Once they are toasted and begin to smell all fragrantly nutty, pour in the Maple syrup and let it bubble up. Remove it from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes, until it is just warm. (Not hot, unless you want soup, instead of ice cream!)

Scoop vanilla ice cream into a dish andthen pour the maple nut sauce over top and enjoy!
I love it with walnuts myself, but that is probably because it reminds me of the maple walnut ice cream from home. That was always my father’s favourite flavour and every mouthful always reminds me of him.

*Note: I'll be back tommorrow with pictures and tales of our adventures in beautiful Cumbria!

11 comments:

  1. This sundae looks sooo refreshing...It's been HOT here in Norway--35 C!! So we're trying to keep cool--fans going, iced tea flowing and watermelon seed spitting--LOL! ;o) I love being home and find much joy in being home most of the time. I do enjoy a little get away from time to time--be it only an afternoon outing or a week away. A change of scene is always great to recharge the batteries and gain new inspiration from different impulses. Have missed you while you've been away, dear Marie! Can't wait to see and hear all of your Cubrian tales! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks sooo good Marie! Can't wait for the pics of Cumbria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie: So good to have you home! Glad you had a good trip, can't wait for the pics! No book yet, but anxiously awaiting! That Sundae looks really, really good! Must try soon. Much love - Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, the sundaes look wonderful and sooooo yummy!!!! xxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie,

    I've just started posting again and I realised you had moved your blog. Its good to see that your posts are as wonderful as ever.
    Kate
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could do with a sundae here right now. Its so hot today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're back! I missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the sundae looks wonderful marie, welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always I am uplifted by your post today. I have a new experiece in feeling reverence and peace. One of my assignments when we work in the temple each Thurs. is often to spend 30 min. as the celestial room attendant. Many times it is while the session is still going on so I am the only one in the room. At first I thought that I might get bored sitting quietly, all alone but that is not the case. In fact it is wonderful to sit in that beautiful room all by myself and count my blessing and thank my Heavenly Father for privilege of being there. It is one of my very favorite assignments.

    I have a sweet blog friend named Marlene that needs your advice. If you have a minute could pop over to her post and give her some ideas of things she can fix for dinner without a stove? She would appreciate it.... and so would I.
    http://stitchinbythelake.blogspot.com/
    Can't wait to see your holiday pictures.

    Love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, warm maple syrup with vanilla ice cream, a combination I have not tried, but will very soon! Yummy! Reverence... I remember doing all those things when I was younger, but I didn't know the name for it. Being in solitude, alone with oneself, and later I discovered I wasn't alone with myself, I was alone with God, and then I recognized the sacredness of the moments. But for years and years, I enjoyed such moments (discovered them in college while pursuing art degree) because I was single, spent a lot of time alone (but not alone). One doesn't need to run away to find it, but I must say getting off to the mountains on my own is a special treat. Max went with me the last time I went off. I don't think I could go without my dog companion, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie,

    You are such a dear! still blogging and keeping in touch even when you're away on holiday. Thanks for the commitment.

    Reverance, solitude.. these are so important for the soul. I have gone on 2-day and 4-day silent retreats. Some people have trouble with it (keeping silent) but the silence is so important to shut out all the noises and listen to our souls and God.. we call it taking a vacation with the Lord.

    Am looking forward to your pics and stories of your trip to Cumbria.. I hope to go there next year.

    angela kl

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!