Tuesday 8 July 2008

Berry, Berry Quite Contrary . . .



"You ought to have seen what I saw on my way
To the village, through Mortenson's pasture to-day!
Blueberries as big as the end of your thumb,
Real sky-blue, and heavy, and ready to drum
In the cavernous pail of the first one to come!
And all ripe together, not some of them green
And some of them ripe! You ought to have seen!"
~"Blueberries" by Robert Frost


As you all probably know today is Tuesday and that means it's Tuesdays with Dorie here at Oak Cottage. The one day during the week that I join in with a bazillion other bakers around the world and bake a delicious recipe from that tasty book, Baking, from my home to yours by the baking queen herself, Ms Dorie Greenspan!

This week Amy of South in Your Mouth selected Double Crusted Blueberry Pie on pages 361-363. I was absolutely thrilled to find this out as blueberries are one of my most favouritest things of all and well, pie is also my most favouritest of all things too!



Blueberries, as a child, meant hard back breaking labour in the bush back home picking wild blueberries that took hours and hours. Long about the end of July, beginning of August the ice cream buckets would appear on the kitchen counter and we knew that blueberry season was beginning. My dad would drive us all in the car to some remote area that was well known for having tons of the little blue delights and we'd spend a long afternoon in the hot sun picking them. It seemed to take forever and was really hard work. Wild blueberries grow close to the ground and you have to pretty much crouch the whole time you are picking . . . your back gets really sore. If you are a greedy gus and eat as many as you pick . . . well . . . picking an ice cream bucket full takes a very long time . . . There was always a particular smell in the air out in the bush that is difficult to describe . . . it smelled kind of like heat and earth and sweet woodruff and fear . . . for wild blueberries are just as popular with bears as they are with humans and in Nova Scotia they are quite a common sight out in the bush . . . the bears that is. My parents always reckoned they were taking us to a secret blueberry picking spot that nobody else knew about, but the truth is that in Nova Scotia, in late July, you can stop at the side of the road in just about any spot and find an abundance of the little blue jewels . . .



So anyways, back to the recipe at hand. Wild blueberries are not readily available here in the UK and more's the pity. Wild anything tastes infinitely better than cultivated and blueberries are no exception, but let's face it when you have a craving that must be met, you'll take just about anything you can get! The crust went together really easily for this recipe. I just have a small capacity food processor so I had to do it in two batches, but c'est la vie! It took a lot of butter!!! I think I can blame Dorie totally for creating these two axe handle hips of mine! Normal sized pie plates are not readily available over here. I have a couple of pyrex ones that I brought over from North America, but they are both 10 inch ones, so I used the only smaller sized one I have which was only about 7 1/2 inches wide, but no mind, it just meant that I had a deeper and fuller pie! (I'm all for thick pies!)



The recipe for the filling itself was very straightforward and went together in no time at all. I did end up using the juice from a full lemon, not just a squirt! I have a confession to make here and now. I filled my pie, popped on the top lid, crimped it and brushed it with the egg . . . and then sprinkled it with delicious demerara sugar only to turn around to see my bread crumbs sitting on the counter . . . unused, and so I ended up having no breadcrumbs in mine, which meant that the filling was a bit runnier probably than it should have been, or maybe that was just my greediness making me cut the pie too soon before it had cooled down enough . . . however there were no complaints coming from the corner of the Toddmeister as he tucked into it . . . "This is a keeper!" he managed to mumble through his blue crumbed lips . . . and I had to agree!



If you would like to see the recipe you can find it in full on Amy's page when she posts it later today. I think it's one you will all enjoy! Next week's recipe will come from Melissa of It’s Melissa’s Kitchen. I'm not sure which one she has picked yet, but I'm sure it will be a good one!



By the way, I'm not sure if it's because I had to use a smaller pie dish or because the crust recipe is quite generous but I had some dough leftover and I decided to do what my mom and gran might have done and I made Jam tarts as a bonus! (you just take the pastry trimmings, roll them out and cut them into circles to fit a small tart tin and then pop a tsp of fruit jam into each one before baking). Todd was ever so pleased because jam tarts are also one of his favouritest things!



PS - Don't panic if I am a little late posting tommorrow morning. I have a very late night of work looming ahead of me tonight so I may not get here until later in the day. It all depends!

PPS - the clear winner of this weeks Make Me Bake Poll was the Strawberry Toffee Tart! Ohh goodie goodie gumdrops!!! I really wanted to bake this one and you have not let me down! Time to put up another poll!

56 comments:

  1. I have never had blueberry pie, I think it looks delicious though. Sadly we have to pay sky high prices for blueberries here, no wild ones like you had back home. I was tempted earlier this year to buy a plant, maybe next year. As for jam tarts, that was the highlight when baking with my Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my family (seven siblings)lived in New Hampshire back in the 60's, I remember wild blueberries growing near the edge of the woods, and we'd pick them and bring them home. (Your description of the smell in the air is quite accurate.) Mom made muffins with them because we didn't collect enough for pie. One day, she needed to buy some bread and milk, but money was scarce that week. Blueberries were not, so we older children went blueberry picking, then went door to door showing off the fruit for sale. It wasn't long before we had sold enough to run to the store (we lived that close to the store) and buy the bread and milk. We felt pretty darn proud of ourselves for having helped out, and mom was thrilled. Your pie looks divine... the crust is golden. I love jam tarts, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Marie
    i am happy for the strawberry tarts but sadly in pakistan the strawberry season is over :(
    can we plz have a little peak at your banofee trifles?? they sound yummy..
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm back! I posted up new pics for you and new tales! I missed you so much and am bursting full of ideas to tell you. I'm running late for work, but I'll e-mail you later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful story. I love the pic of the slice with the blueberries running out...so yummy!
    This recipe made me a blueberry lover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pictures are beautiful. All of those berries tumbling out of the pie! Great story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had wild blueberries. We get wild blackberries though and the kids love to go pick them. Your pie looks delicious. Your crust is so lovely and golden. So professional looking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss being able to pick wild blueberries - they really are sooo much better! And jam tarts are one of my favorite ways to use up pie dough too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pie looks gorgeous!!!

    I visited Nova Scotia a couple of years ago. I can't wait to go back. What a lovely place! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pie looks beautiful, but those little jam tartlettes at the bottom make me wish I could put my hand right through the screen. I love the blueberry vintage pics that you included also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The same thing happened to me with the breadcrumbs! Lovely pie, and I really like the jam tarts which I will have top try in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh your crust is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmmmm I can smell it from here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I have to try this.! It doesn't look "jammy" which is a problem I have with berry pies.
    I wish I knew of a place to go blueberry picking around here. I bought a few plants this year so I'll see how they do.
    I did buy blueberries the other day. They were on sale 3 pints for $5 but they were imported and not very tasty so now they will be pie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your crust is gorgeous and I love the mini tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. No surprise...your pie looks amazing! And the fruit tarts??? I HAVE to try those!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those little cookies look so good, not to mention that beautiful pie! Great job Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That pie is the prettiest thing I have seen thus far! So golden and gorgeous!
    And I love the jam tarts - what a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. yummm, deep dish pie :) it sounds and looks delicious!! the tarts look great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amy (SingForYourSupper)8 July 2008 at 16:38

    This looks heavenly....your golden brown crust is making me drool! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so much fun to pick wild blueberries, they taste so much better than the cultured ones! I picked some in Wales, great experience

    Your pie looks divine! And because of your pie bird in your cobblerI ordered one directly from UK ;-)

    Ulrike from Küchenlatein

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your pie looks wonderful! I love the idea of mini jam pies, such a great use of leftover dough.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always forget to dot my pies with butter before putting the top crust on. I'm always shoving butter slivers through the steam slits I've cut in the crust. :-)
    Your pie looks great, even without the breadcrumbs.
    Every now and then I find frozen wild blueberries and when I do, I buy them. I've even seen wild blue's canned in water. They are pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your pie looks fabulous! I missed the bread crumbs too, but on purpose! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your crust edge looks just about perfect. Wish I had thought of tarts (not that I had the time... I had to run off and get ready, and leave my mother to get the pie out of the oven and bring it to the party!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely job on your pie. Your crust looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely gorgeous!!! We used to have a pick your own blueberry farm about 30 miles from here, sadly, no more. I love wild blueberries, but here in MO they are not to be found. We have 10 bushes in containers tho, and are going to make a pie - when and if we can keep Mrs. Catbird out of them! Your pie looks wonderful and I am sure it tasted great, too! Much love, Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful crust! Straight out of a magazine. Great work. I love all the complementary pics that go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your pie looks great! The crust looks beautiful. I picked the blueberries I made for my pie, so I can definitely relate to your story!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The crust on that pie looks amazing! It's so beautiful and perfect. I will definitely need the recipe for that pie crust :).

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your pie looks marvelous! That crust! That filling! YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your blueberry picking story reminded me of one of my favorite childhood books, Blueberries for Sal. I spent my childhood summer days on my great grandparent's farm...thinning beets (lol)! Your pie looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your blueberry pie looks delicious! My mom and grandmom used to do something similar to the leftover pie dough! Brought back wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  34. "I LOVE BLUEBERRIES.....

    "....and you are teasing me again Marie!!

    Looks mighty lovely and "YUMMY" wish I was there to eat with YOU!!

    XOXO~Jeannene

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! Your blueberries look huge. I used the frozen wild blueberries and they were tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yum, your pie looks delicious! And good idea to use up the leftover dough!

    ReplyDelete
  37. And I thought that I was the only one growing love handles...hahaha! Your pie looks delish! I need to get better and proper pie pans...sigh, yet another item for my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  38. That crust looks AMAZING! Although blueberry picking must be hard work.. espeically with all the snacking along the way, it must have been so much fun! Your pie looked so pretty with all the blueberries flowing out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  39. marie your pie is beautiful!! omg i wish it were here with me!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Just looks absolutely delicious! I love your Robert Frost quotation too. Feel in good company - I also left out the breadcrumbs - they were hiding behind a jar, so my crust was a bit soggy but nevertheless good to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful pie! I made a galette with my leftover crust. And, I forgot the crumbs as well. Still turned out delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Looks lovely! Wonderful job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Yum! I wish I knew where to hunt down some wild berries! Looks so good!

    When we were little and my mom had extra pie dough she would sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on them and bake them up... so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  44. we used to go blueberry picking when i was a little girl...one time i was stung by a bee on my fingertip when i went to pick a berry! that's a goreous pie you made--bursting with fresh berries!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm not a huge blueberry fan... except for blueberry muffins. THOSE are one of my favorites.

    I used to live in Maine. Did I ever tell you that? Hence, home of the Maine blueberry. I remember friends working in the summer raking them!

    Thank you for the kind comment on my blog. I feel the same towards you, I hope you know that.

    xoxo Misty

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love the jam tarts--great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Absolutely gorgeous pie! One of the prettiest I've seen yet! I also love the Frost poem. I had the same one on my clipboard, and in my haste, I forgot to put it in my post! Oh, well....

    ReplyDelete
  48. We used to pick wild blueberries in Northen Ontario and your description brought back lots of memories, of the heat and how long it took to pick enough for a pie. Nothing like wild blueberries for the taste though. My uncle was the pei maker in our house and he made those little jam tarts too. Wonderful memories! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  49. No point baking pies if you don't turn out some jam tarts too!
    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  50. looks like we both cut into our pies too soon! :) your fluted pie crust is so much prettier than mine - i'm just glad mine came out tasty though - we'll work on looks in the future ;)

    ReplyDelete
  51. That looks INCREDIBLE!! What a beautiful pie :O)
    Great idea with the jam-tarts too!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Your crust looks wonderful. Love those dimples.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Your pie looks so delicious. And those jam tarts look so good! I'll have to make some now for my boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. What an incredibly beautiful pie! And the little jam tarts - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Yup, this is a keeper in our house too! Your crust looks perfect!
    Shari@Whisk: a food blog

    ReplyDelete
  56. Your memories of berry picking made me think of Robert McCloskey's classic children's book "Blueberries for Sal" - my daughter's favorite! Glad your pie turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!