Wednesday 11 June 2008

A Simple Woman's Day book . . .



FOR TODAY

Outside my Window . . . the horizon is filling up with a pale blue sky, with just the merest hint of a red tinge at the base. I know it will soon be turning to bright blue. It is early morning, barely gone past five, and although there is that red tinge on the horizon, I am going to be optimistic. A red sky doesn't necessarily foretell a bad day . . . but perhaps a really hot and sunny one, at least that's my story!

I am thinking . . . about how blessed I am to be living the life that I am living. I read an article in a magazine in the waiting room of the physio therapy clinic that I go to once a week for therapy on my feet, and it was talking about the poor people in Britain of a hundred years ago. It was saying that some of them had nothing to look forward to in their dismal lives except the hereafter . . . how sad is that. Truth is, there are still people in this world that have nothing but death to look forward to. I thought about how very blessed we are and how much we take for granted all the simple pleasures that we enjoy from day to day. We should never forget our blessings.

I am thankful for . . . the Visiting Teaching program in my church. Every month I get a lovely visit from two "friends". I call them friends, for that is what they truly become. We spend an hour or so in each other's company talking and just enjoying each other. I am thankful for the lovely spirit they bring in to my home and for the fact that they care about me. It is nice to know that you have two people praying for you on a daily basis, and who you can call on no matter what. Two people who you can truly call sister and friend. Last night they came to visit and we sat here, in my homey kitchen, and visited for length of time. They always bring a wonderful message with them and last night was no exception. This was their message and I thought it beautiful and want to share it with each of you as well:

". . . the gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something . . . This is achieved not just by doing what is right, but by doing it for the right reason . . . for the pure love of Christ. Charity, the "pure love of Christ" is not an act but a condition or state of being. Charity is attained through a succession of acts that result in a conversion. Charity is something one becomes." ~Dallin H. Oaks

Isn't that lovely. Love is not just a word . . . it is a word that spurs us to action, or should do. If we are truly being who we should be and who our Heavenly Father wants us to be we will be love to each other, pure and simple, just love.

I am creating . . . work on my cookbook continues. It is slow, but it is steady. I get to the point where I think I am almost finished and then my mind takes me in another direction, and I end up re-doing it. I really should say enough already and just wrap it up. My problem is, I have a thousand books sitting in my head all clambering to get themselves out!

I am going . . . to the shops later this morning to buy some groceries for work. The fridge had been broken down for most of last week, right up until yesterday, and so we lost a lot of what we had and I was not really able to keep in much more than what we could immediately use. Sometimes it seems I spend half of my lifetime traipsing around the grocery store, but quite happily so, I hasten to add!! I love grocery shopping . . . seeing all the new products on the shelves and picking up new ideas! Todd, on the other hand, does not understand my love for it. He is a hit and dash shopper. He goes in for one thing and comes out with one thing . . . and invariably the wrong thing (typically), whereas I can go in for one thing, come out with ten things and get home and have forgotten the one thing I actually went for . . .


I am wearing . . . warmer, summer temperatures have brought out my cotton nighties. The one I am wearing this morning is the one I wore on our honeymoon, right after we got married. It is of white cotton and patterned over with little sprays of flowers, and adorned with a lovely lace collar. It's pretty and cool and reminds me of those lovely first months we were married and the wonderful time we had getting to know each other and learning to live together. When I wear it I still feel like a new bride. In some ways we are still on our honeymoon, may it always be so . . .

I am reading . . . Last night I finished the first novel in the Joseph and Emma Series, "Joseph and Emma, a love story," by Marsha Newman and Buddy Youngreen and am about to start on novel two.

"What is it you want, Joseph?" Emma asked. "I want to understand God, to think with His thoughts, to see with His vision, to see myself as He knows me, to know all that He knows. It's a hunger that drives me, Emma. It pushes me when I walk. It swings the axe when I'm felling. It wakens me in the middle of the night. It rides my shoulders and penetrates my soul. It is my constant companion. I feel it is possible to live in the world of angels and spirits. I've been there a few times. The veil is very thin, and the hunger to live in that world won't leave."

It's been a wonderful read. Based on actual historical accounts, journals and letters these books allow a wonderful view into an historical view of my church based on the perspective of the Smith's personal lives. Their trials, their triumphs, their sorrows, their joys and their deep abiding love for each other and for the Saints are all interwoven into a beautiful narrative and body of work. I highly recommend.


I am hoping . . . that the taping they did on my foot yesterday at physio continues to bring me blessed relief from the terrible pain that has become my constant companion over these recent past weeks and months. I have a severe case of Plantar Fasciatis and it has been very painful to be on my feet at all these past days. When you spend so many hours a day on your feet, it can be truly debilitating to have to do it on feet that are constantly sore and aching. For the first time in so many months, I have been able to spring out of bed this morning and put my foot down on the floor without having to hobble and it is a wonderful feeling. I shall never take walking pain free for granted again . . .

I am hearing . . . the chittering of a magpie in the back garden and the tap tap tapping of the woodpecker at the nut feeder. Down the hill the peacocks send their greetings. Bunnies hop here and there beneath the hedgerow enjoying their first tender shoots of the day and that dang squirrel is just looking for his first opportunity to raid the nut feeder again . . .

Around the house . . . the hydrangea has come into bloom. It is a relatively young one and so it is still quite small, but I am delighted to see it waxing strong. The blooms are green and tinged with pink on the edges . . . the prettiest kind. The whole garden seems to be vibrating with life and bursting out all over in wonderful colours.

One of my favorite things . . . you, my readers. I come on here each morning and pen my words to you and it is like a wonderful visit with a long lost friend. I just love sharing my thoughts and words with you, and I really enjoy reading the words you leave behind and the thoughts you share back. It's a win/win situation. We care about each other. I look at each one of you as a friend, albeit an invisible one, and once in a while one of you becomes a visible one and that is truly lovely too!

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week . . . I want to do some painting and some cleaning and some cooking. I am going to finally master the art of making choux pastry, even if it kills me and it just might! I can remember the first time I made some . . . I was only 14 and it was an abysmal failure. It is still hit and miss with me. I am praying this time for success!

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you . . .


One of the poppies that are blooming in my garden right now. It is always amazing to me that something which looks so prickly and alien can end up looking so breath-takingly beautiful. I love to see their pretty red heads dancing amongst the other plants in the garden and waving themselves about in the breeze. Nature is so beautiful and so soul enriching . . .

From the kitchen . . . Yesterday I made some delicious Chicken Kiev's for our dinner. I know you can buy them ready made, but they are always a disappointment to me. Homemade are infinitely better and not really all that hard to execute. I have been using the same recipe for years now. When something works for you, why mess with success . . . an adaption from my McCall's Cooking School binder that I have had since I was a young bride. I give you . . .



*Chicken Kiev*
Serves 6

This recipe makes a lot, but then you can freeze what you don't use, and end up with a homemade convenience food that you can pull out of the freezer on one of those days when you are short on time and inspiration.

Herb butter:
1 cup butter, softened
2 TBS chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
3 tsp chopped fresh tarragon leaves
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (each one about 6 ounces in weight)
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
sunflower oil for frying

Thoroughly mix together the butter, parsley, tarragon, garlic and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Take a piece of aluminium foil and spread the mixture into a six inch square on it. Place in the freezer until firm, about 40 minutes.

Wash the chicken and dry well with paper towels. Using a sharp knife cut each breast in half almost all the way through down one length, opening them up like a book,and leaving one long edge intact. Place each piece between two pieces of plastic cling film and flatten them out with a mallet or the sides of a knife until they are about 1/4 of an inch thick, being very careful not to tear the chicken.

Cut the frozen butter into six equal pieces. Place a piece in the centre of each piece of chicken. bring the long sides over to cover, pressing them closed and making sure that no butter is showing. Fasten with toothpicks. It is important to make sure the butter is completely enclosed or it will escape during cooking.

Place the flour on a plate and the beaten eggs in a bowl. Place the crumbs on another plate. Take each breast and roll it in the flour to coat and then dip it in the egg and roll it into the bread crumbs, coating each one evenly and completely. Place on a plate and chill, covered, covered in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.

Heat some oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken pieces and brown them off, first on one side and then on the other, cooking them for about 3 minutes on each side. Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F and place them on a baking sheet in the heated oven and cook for 15 minutes longer, until completely cooked through.

Serve. I like to serve these with some steamed basmati rice and some mixed vegetables. Quite simply delicious.

*Note - You can freeze them after the initial browning. Place them on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer until frozen solid. Remove from the cookie sheet and wrap individually in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer bag and return to the freezer until you want to use them. To cook, place them on a baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven (200*C/400*F) for 30 minutes, until heated through and cooked completely.



Now go check out the other Day Book entries at our hostess Peggy's blog, The Simple Woman. You never know you may meet a new friend or two and most certainly be uplifted!

9 comments:

  1. I love Chicken Kiev - yours looks lovley Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful post. How do you do it day after day. You are amazing.

    My hydrangeas are not doing well. I had big beautiful blooms but now the leaves are turning brown and I don't know why. Do you have any ideas?

    Thanks again for your kind words and sweet support. LOL, Lura

    P.S. How far are you from Harwick? We are looking at a cruise that leaves from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. upps, I meant Harwich not Harwick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this certainly was a good post for me to check in on. NOw I am all caught up. It seems to be increasingly difficult for me to get around and visit all of the blogs I want to these days...especially with the kids out of school.

    HOpe you find time to do all that you want this week (especially the painting) and hope that you find some relief from you foot pain.

    My aunt used to make Chicken Kiev when I was little and I'd all but forgotten about it. How could I? I just loved it!!!

    xo
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post and nice recipe Marie, thanks by yor words and your time.LOL xxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sigh* what a lovely life you lead, Marie! Many of my thoughts and feelings echo yours! Thank you for a beautiful peek into your life. The poppies make me think of that song "The Green Fields of France" . . . there's a warm summer's breeze, it makes the red poppies dance! Lovely chicken Kiev!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never really known what Chicken Kiev is. I'm glad you made it so now I know!

    I hope your feet feel better!

    I got a few rejection letters for If I Was a Dog--but they were really encouraging. They said they loved my writing and the concept, but didn't know if it could compete in such a competitive market. So that's a really cool sign! So all your positivity and joy you've passed onto me has made my week fabulous! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful and thought provoking post Marie! You are a very gifted writer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait for the cookbook to be finished!!!!
    XX

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!