Monday 27 April 2015

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 photo small and wonderful spring_zpstwcvceyz.jpg


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

















No question about it.   This week's biggie was my eye and knowing that it was not the worst scenario and that my condition should heal itself.  That was such a relief.  I don't know if I will ever get used to the floaters . . .  they are very strange.  Constantly moving across my line of vision with every movement of my eye, but at least I can see them.   The alternative doesn't bear thinking about!
















 Choco Leibniz biscuits.   I love them.  The milk chocolate ones.   I would probably like the dark chocolate ones as well . . .  but I have never indulged in them.  I did get to try some that had a layer of caramel between the chocolate and the biscuit once and they are incredibly delicious as well.   I don't know what it is about them that makes them so spectacular.  Maybe it is the ration of chocolate to biscuit?  (More chocolate than biscuit)  Maybe it is the plainness of the biscuit, which allows the chocolate to shine?   Whatever it is . . .  I think they are pretty wonderful.  And I just had three for my breakfast.   Naughty girl.
















You might wonder what this is doing on my page, but bear with me here.  Todd and I were watching a program last night and we were amazed at the amount of times the "F" word was being used.   I was like . . .  Is this the way it is in real life? . . .  Does this word really get used to this degree in real life?

I don't know!  I live in a plastic bubble.   No "F" words in this house, unless you are talking about Faith,  Friends, Fabulous, Food, Fluffy, Fairies, Feathers, Fudge, etc.























 Each week at church someone is usually asked to bear their testimony.    It's different than our Fast and Testimony meeting.  (The first Sunday of the month  our whole sacrament meeting is given over to the bearing of Testimonies, once the sacrament has been blessed and passed.)  The young man who got up to give his yesterday is a young man who has only been a member of the church for maybe two years now.  Anyways, he said about how when he first came to our church and witnessed a testimony meeting how he thought it was strange everyone saying they "knew" certain things to be true, but how he came to understand that there was a difference between merely "Believing" certain things were true, and "Knowing" certain things were true.  I had never thought about that aspect before but I was like yes . . .  I do believe the church and it's doctrines to be true,  and in the Saviour . . .  but more importantly than that  I "KNOW" that the church and it's doctrines are true and I "KNOW" the Saviour.  And it's not something which I can explain or something which I can give to anyone else, but something other's have to learn and embrace for themselves.

 photo meandmomcropped.jpg

I didn't get to speak to my mother yesterday.   My sister had to take her to the hospital because she wasn't herself and didn't appear to be feeling well.    It turned out my mom has bronchitis and the start of pneumonia.   So she is on medication now and an inhaler.   Last night my sister messaged me to tell me that mom had eaten something and was feeling somewhat better.  Please keep her in your prayers for continued healing.   I am so grateful for the job that my sister does in taking care of my mom and my dad.  The role of a "Carer" is often ignored or taken for granted . . . unappreciated, and quite often by the very people that they are caring for  It's not easy for an elderly person to come to the realization that they actually "need" someone to take care of them, and they can often be difficult to deal with, and even hostile.   Over here in the UK . . .  Caregivers are given an allowance by the Government to do this.  More often than not,  it is not enough or what they are worth, but at least it is something.

My sister gets nothing.  She gave up a well paying job to do what she is doing.   She gets nothing.  Her unemployment insurance ran out after one year.  She cannot get any financial help at all because the people she lives with  (my mom, my dad and her partner) make more money combined than the minimum requirement of income.  So she gets nothing.  Zip.  She is reliant on the people she lives with to give her handouts and this is not an easy thing to cope with.  There is something intrinsically wrong with a system like that.  If not for my sister, the Canadian Government would be bearing the full burden of care for my parents.   Surely this is worth something.  I think it's despicable that my sister gets nothing and no recognition for the service she is rendering.  That it is deemed worthless in the Canadian Government's eyes.   This needs to change.  It is just wrong, wrong . . . wrong.  I wish that I was in the position to give my sister something for what she is doing, I truly do . . . because in serving my parents, she is also serving me, and my brother. 

I truly hope that one day I will be in the position to be able to give her something.















"I'll tell you how the sun rose a ribbon at a time."
~Emily Dickenson

Sunshiny Days.  We have had quite a few of them this past week and today is going to be another one.   Somehow life just seems better on a sunshiny day.

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .

❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥
"Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears,
for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth,
overlying out hard hearts."
~Charles Dickens
❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥



Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Chard and Cheese Tart.

I wish for you a fabulous (F word there!) Monday.   May your week ahead be filled with a multitude of small and wonderfuls!  Don't forget . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!



7 comments:

  1. Marie I am so sorry about your mother and I think the treatment your sister suffers is beyond unfair. I hope today goes well for you and taht your eye is improving every single minute.

    God bless,

    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suzan. God bless you too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have much to be thankful for. When my parents health failed one of my sisters too gave up here job and helped them. My other sister and I were very thankful, but couldn't really compensate her either. Thankfully her husband had a good job so it didn't place her in a financial difficulty. There really should be some help for carers but there isn't . I'll be praying for your mother that she continues to get better. Sadly that F word does seem to be so prevalent. My F words are faith family and friends. They are the important things in my life. Hope your Monday is a good one ! Chilly and cloudy here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be so relieved re your eye.. even young people can get detached retinas..
    Happy for you.
    Marie don't watch Bloodline on Netflix then.. The F word is in every episode verey sentence.
    The show is amazing though..Ben Mendelsohn..is nothing short of BRILLIANT.

    When we were in Florida.. we played Scrabble..I should send you a photo..Lucas added an F in front of WORD..we said Fword? he said no the fword:)
    I took a pic..too funny it was.
    I am curious Marie..

    in the US..if your sister went to help your parents there would it be different?Or in England?I have no clue!
    I have never heard of a family memeber being paid anywhere..yet if a care giver comes in then they are..
    What your sister is doing is a great act of kindness..and humanity.
    It has to be such a difficult thing to do..to leave everything ..and do this.
    Selfless.. I applaud her. Often the people requiring the care.. are not in the best of spirits..all around it must be a very heavy load to carry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry that your Mom is not so well again Marie, but I am sure now that she is on some medication she will get better soon. I certainly hope so for your sister, it is certainly not easy to be a carer, It is the same here Marie, There i money given to carer's but they must work 44 hour a week taking care and for that they get the princely sum of I think last time I checked £56 ...and then only if the carer is under 65 over that there is no money to be got..(I know this as I looked into it for my niece if she gave up work to look after Margaret, she just coudn't afford to give up so cared and worked ..which is doubly hard....I too looove these biscuits. I like the plain chocolate ones. I can buy them in the £1 shop...but try not to as they are so tempting !!!never seen the ones with the toffee filling... I so agree with the use of the F word, It is really quite disgusting sometimes the language on TV now..indeed so much in TV is horrible that I find myself watching less and less....Hope you have had a good day. I was up and out early this morning taking Peter for his first day in his new job.7.15am to Frome (He was picking up a van there so coudn't take his car ) he came home around 5pm and has been along when asked about his firt day his reply was a rather quiet "ok",,so I think that means he will reserve judgement for a few days...It has been a nice day weatherwise after a real hard frost this morning which unfortunately has killed of my tomato plants and some other plants in the hanging baskets,,thought we Lyn and I were a bit early putting them up...Hope it has been the ame with you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, I am so happy that your eye will be OK; that was scary. You are in thoughts and prayers.
    Those biscuits look so good. I may need to head for the kitchen and get's some chocolate.
    Yes, the F word is said a lot here. I hate hearing it. I especially hate when they use the Lord's name in vain.
    I like the idea that your ward has someone bare a short testimony each week. Sweet!
    I will have your Mom in your prayers and your sweet sister. Here in the US they don't pay you to take care of your parents. They will pay for a handicapped child. I cared for my sweet Mom until she passed away and it was hard. I just loved her so much but it is a hard task.
    Wishing for you a lovely day and blessings and hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a loving sacrifice Pam. I would have done it myself, but I cannot leave my husband and he cannot just move to another country. My brother could not give up his job as he still has children at home to provide for. Her partner has ended up having to take a minimum wage job he hates because that is all he can get and of course you know her story. It's sad, but appreciated by all of us. I just wish I could do more for her financially. I know it is very hard for her to be without any financial means after a lifetime of working and have something in her wallet. xoxo

    I will be sure to stay away from Bloodline Monique! Little Lucas, so cute! Children are adorable.

    Here in the UK you can get a caregivers allowance, but admittedly it's not much. But not much is still better than nothing I think. xoxo

    Sorry you lost your plants to frost Sybil! So far we are alright. I really pray we don't lose anything to frost. I would hate to lose my apples, pears and plums! Hopefully Peter will come to enjoy his new job. xoxo

    Thank you for your prayers LeAnn! Always appreciated. It is a difficult task and my sister is a Saint some days. Blessings and hugs to you also. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!