Tuesday 8 January 2013

The Simple Woman's Daybook


FOR TODAY, January 8th, 2013...

Outside My Window...

The sky is still quite dark and it's cool.   Quarter to seven in the morning.   Tis about what you would expect this time of year.  It's not raining though, which is a big bonus.

I am thinking...
“What you think of yourself is much more important than what others think of you."
~Seneca

If we were to think of ourselves what the media or the world tells us we should be . . . we'd all be very disappointed and feeling quite inadequate.  I am grateful that I have never been the type of person that cares overly much about what others think of me.   I want to please God, who is very real to me and if I can please Him first . . . the rest all just falls in to place.

I am thankful for...

My cold finally seems to be on the wane.  At least I am not coughing as much as I was and I am not all stuffed up.  Finger's crossed it stays that way.   My left ear is rather blocked though, but that's not unusual.  I have had an ongoing problem with that for years.   They don't seem to be able to do anything with it though.    Some sort of pressure from behind the ear drum they say.   It just means I hear things with that ear kind of muffled, and it crackles a lot.   Just so long as it doesn't hurt I am happy.

From the kitchen... 
Last night I made pancakes for our supper.  It wasn't pancake day, but I've been wanting pancakes for a long time now.   They were good, smothered in butter and maple syrup.   Todd enjoyed them too.  They made for a nice change.
 
I am wearing...  

A soft blue flannel nightie with white polka dots on it that Todd got me for Christmas.   He did good.    I really like it.  It's warm and comfortable and pretty.

I am creating...  



Photobucket
This is the next little sewing project I am going to tackle.  I really enjoyed making the cat last week and thought she turned out really sweet.   Am loving this little bear.



Loving this idea for pressing tissue paper between two sheets of wax paper to use as a wrapping for baked goods you are wanting to gift others with.


Loving these paper heart garlands.   Very easy to do.



Loving this buttons journal cover.   Very nice.

I am going... 
Still waiting to get a date for my mother's operation.  Once we have a date I can book my flight to Canada.   I expect to be away for at least eight weeks.   I have no other plans this week.  We are still wanting to go and see The Hobbit.  We may try to get out to do that.   Or we just may save our money and go to see Les Miserables when it starts next week.   We'll have to wait and see!  Mom has an appointment with her regular Doctor on Thursday.   I can't understand why she has not heard from the Surgeon yet.  

I am reading...

My Berlin Kitchen, by Luisa Weiss.
Along the way to adulthood, I acquired one six-inch chef’s knife, a dark-green glazed cast-iron pot, and the growing realization that baking and cooking were not just a sure way to end up with a pan of warm brownies or a kitchen full of the fragrance of beef stew.  Busying myself in the kitchen was how I conjured the people and places I loved the most in the steam rising off the pots on the stove.  And when I came down with a rare and chronic illness known as perpetual homesickness, I knew the kitchen would be my remedy.

I am in love with this book. How could you not be.  It's an autobiography but with food and recipes.  I am totally smitten with it.  I do so love this type of book.


Keeping Faith, by Jodi Picoult

Somewhere between belief and doubt lies faith. For the second time in her marriage, Mariah White catches her husband with another woman and Faith, their seven year old daughter, witnesses every painful minute. In the aftermath of a sudden divorce, Mariah struggles with depression and Faith seeks solace in a new friend… a friend who may or may not be imaginary.
 
I've only just begun this book, so early days yet, but am enjoying it.  I have liked every Jodi Picoult book I have ever read, so no surprise there!

Nothing has changed here.   Really enjoying the Jodi Picoult book.  She's a master story teller!!

 I am hoping...
I am hoping that 2013 is a much drier year than 2012 was!  Keeping all my Aussie friends in my prayers.   Those killer hot temps are no joke.   I don't know how they cope with that kind of heat!

I am hearing... 
Ordinary morning sounds.   My play list, Mitzie snoring . . . the clock ticking.  My fingers clicking on the keys.

Around the house...

Source: houzz.com via Betsy on Pinterest

I love this tiny kitchen.   It's small but there's a lot packed into it and I love the red and white of it all.  Red and white in a kitchen is my favourite thing.


Love the look of French Lace Curtains.   If I had my way there would only be French Lace Curtains on my windows.
 
Source: bhg.com via Patti on Pinterest

Love the bright and sunny look of this.   It just makes you want to smile.  Fresh and clean and quite sweet really.


One of my favourite things . . .  


French Linens.   Old quilts.   Lace.   Faded colours.  Embroidered linens, Monograms.


Something new about me ...


I love pens, pencils, crayons, etc.   I could spend hours in the shops just looking at different ones.   I have very fond memories of my very first fountain pen.  I saved up for months to buy it.  It had a little bladder that you squeezed to fill it up with ink.   When I bought the pen I also bought a bottle of turquoise ink.   I love turquoise ink, although in all honesty I use black ink more often than not.   It's just more acceptable when it comes to signing things, etc.

One of my guilty pleasures ...




I love Pretzels.  I just adore pretzels.   These ones are cinnamon sugar coated.  I must try these.   They look fabulous.

Pet Peeves...    




Cold callers.   I used to think I had to be polite.   Now I just hang up.  They are just so annoying.   I would hate to have their job.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...




"Pain is inevitable.  Suffering is optional."
~M Kathleen Casey

Bad things happen to good people all the time.  It's just a part of living.  Things will not always run smoothly and sometimes we will be really hurt, or sad, or angry or shocked, etc.   It's important that we acknowledge our feelings, always . . . but we should not dwell on the negative or on things we think we can't change.  

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.  It's the way it is.   The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."
~Virginia Satir

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!   


 Photobucket 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Cabbage with Pancetta and Cream.

Hope you have a sweet day ahead of you!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!