Tuesday 25 August 2009

Not quite Tuesdays With Dorie . . .



Okay, I have a confession . . . I've been a really bad puddy tat. Today is Tuesday, and we all know that most weeks I bake with a tasty baking group on Tuesdays, the Tuesdays With Dorie baking group. (I know I have been really slack this summer but I really thought I had gotten back into the swing of things last week!)

I've been oh so bad though. Each week, as a group, we each bake one tasty recipe from the tastiest baking book around, "Baking, from my home to yours," by the fabulous Dorie Greenspan. I have all of her cookbooks and I love them all, but this book is my absolute favourite and I just love belonging to this baking group as it gets me off my behind and baking from this lovely book. Most of my cookery books are lovely to look at, but I have so many that I rarely ever use any more than a couple recipes from out of each book. I am trying hard this year to make more of an effort to use more of them . . . um . . . more often!

This week Linda of Tender Crumb decided on Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie on pages 337-339. I really wanted to bake it, I really did. I love, Love, LOVE lime and this sounded so delicious, but time just got away from me, so my apologies to Linda for having given it a miss and my apologies to the group. I will get to it at some point, just not today . . . In the meantime though, you can go and check out the blog roll and see what all the other bakers came up with. I'm sure there will be some fabulous creations on tap!

Next week Melissa of Life in a Peanut Shell has chosen Espresso Cheesecake Brownies, pages 104 and 105. I might give them a miss though, and do the pie from this week. Espresso and I do not get along at all.

I know that this is not much of a post this morning, but I'm actually setting it up on Monday afternoon, as I have to work quite late tonight and won't be awake when I normally post. Hopefully I will be in bed recovering and sleeping zzzzz . . .

In the meantime, here's a tasty recipe that I think you all will enjoy. It's been a family favourite for years. Last week I was sent a huge cabbage in my veg box and this is just one of the things I was able to make with it! Very tasty!



*Creamed Cabbage*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

This is a good old fashioned dish that we really love. I love cabbage in any way shape or form, but when you combine it with a delicious creamy sauce and cover it with buttered cracker crumbs, I just think it's the best! I could eat a big plate of this and nothing else, and in fact I just may have the leftovers for my supper tonight!

2 cups cold cooked cabbage, chopped
1 TBS butter
2 TBS plain flour
2 cups hot milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
cracker crumbs
2 TBS butter, melted

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for one minute. Whisk in the hot milk, whisking continuously, and cooking until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Place the cabbage in a buttered shallow casserole dish. Pour the cream sauce over top, covering it completely. Mix the cracker crumbs together with the melted butter and sprinkle on top. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the heated oven, until bubbling and nicely browned on top. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.



Okay, so I know cabbage is not really all that exciting, as delicious as it is . . . but these tasty little Melting Middle Chocolate Fondant Cakes are. Hop on over to The English Kitchen and check them out, and take heart, I'll be back tommorrow with the most delicious sweet rolls you have ever had the chance to oggle!

9 comments:

  1. I just love your blog site. If I were ever to build one it would be like yours for sure I love the layout. I miss the picture of the Oak Cottage but I still love your layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of creamed cabbage but it looks so good to me. I will have to try it. I like cabbage so this will be a treat.

    It is late and I have all 3 of Mindy's kids tonight. She and Ernie started back to work today but the kids don't go until Wed. They will get me up early so I will just send you my love and hurry off to bed.

    The children keep me busy and help take my mind off of business.
    That is a good thing...but I had better get to sleep. (((hugs)))Lura

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice, different preparation for cabbage, Marie--I want to try it! Hope your work evening won't be too bad... ;o) Guess we'll have to catch up later! LOL! Have a great day, sweet friend--LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, the best laid plans often don't come to pass. That is real life when things just get in the way like work, a painful hand, etc. So don't apologize~you are an amazing blogger and do so much for everyone all the time. Love you and take a good long rest~you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can't believe you didn't cook with dorie this week! shame shame:) totally kidding. life gets busy, we all know that marie!

    i will be going to your cooking site in a minute to check out that chocolate cake-wowsas. that looks gooood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I come here and all I want to do is eat.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fact that the first item on the list of ingredients is so unappealing as "cold, cooked cabbage" is totally and absolutely redeemed by what you did with it! I always manage to do too much cabbage for one meal.

    I know I've said it before but just in case anyone didn't hear me: "Delia Smith was always my guru. Marie Rayner is it now."

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know you could cream cabbage.

    I wish someone would publish the gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your creamed cabbage looks so good -- I've never seen cabbage looking so pretty. I hope your late night went well Marie. Can't wait to see those rolls!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!