Monday 29 September 2008

Best Shot Monday



*To the Fringed Gentian*

Thou blossom bright with autumn dew
and coloured with the Heaven's own blue,
and openest when the quiet light,
succeeds the keen and frosty night.

Thou comest not when violets lean,
O'er wandering brooks and springs unseen,
or columbines, in purple dressed,
Nod o'er the ground bird's hidden nest.

Thou waitest late, and com'st alone,
when woods are bare, and birds are flown,
and frost and shortening days portend,
the aged year is near his end.

Then doth thy sweet and quiet eye,
Look through it's fringes to the sky,
Blue - blue - as if that sky let fall
a flower from it's cerulean wall.

I would that thus, when I shall see
the hour of death draw near to me,
Hope, blossoming within my heart,
May look to heaven as I depart.
~William Cullen Bryant


The garden is fast falling asleep now. Few blooms remain untouched. Our Sweet Peas have waited til now to bloom. All summer we fretted because they were doing nothing, and all of a sudden they have burst forth in summer's last hurrah to tease us with a last brush of the season's wane before all the earth falls asleep and lays dormant for the winter's lament. I captured this single shot of a solitary bloom, with the dew still laying on it's beautiful petals. I thought it a breathtaking gift from above and it brought a smile to my face and heart . . .



This is my entry in this weeks, Best Shot Monday. Now hop on over to Mother May I and see some of the other wonderful entries for this week!

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful shot. Just read your President Kimball quote again and it makes me feel inspired to get my melody sweetly sung.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't had many blossoms in our part of the country for quite a while because of the heat this summer.

    I don't think I've ever seen a blossom such as this one. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely photo, Marie...I love sweet peas! What a pretty verse too. So nice to catch up with you here...I didn't get a chance to come by during the weekend it was so busy...Fun to see all you've been doing with apples ;o) and all else! Hope we get a chance to chat during the week! Back to work for you...hope today was OK. Love you, my friend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful. My lovely little Sweet Peas cooked in our heat this summer. They were beautiful and full of blooms one week and brown and dried up the next. I gave them plenty of water but the sun baked them I guess.

    Your Sweet Peas had too much rain...mine had too much sun... doesn't it seem like Mother Nature could even out our weather a little bit?

    Have a great day even though you are back to work. Love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty picture of your sweet peas. Have a great day Marie!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!