Thursday 2 October 2014

Five Things About me . . .



 photo meandmomcropped.jpg

It's Thursday and we know what that means.  It's time for another "Five Things About Me Post!"   Hoping that you aren't bored with these posts yet!  I am still enjoying doing them.   This photograph is one of me taken when I was about 2 years old.   I think my mom was pregnant with my sister at the time.  We were living in Germany at the time.  This morning I have been looking at this photograph and I can see my mother's love for me on her face.   It makes me smile in my heart.  What would I tell my two year old self if I could down through the eons of time??  I think I would tell her that she  was loved beyond measure and could do anything that she set her mind and heart to do.

 photo MomandIChristmas1956.jpg

(I am about six months old in this photo)

Although I was brought up a Baptist and have always had a deep faith in my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, it was not until about 15 years ago that I realized how very much I truly mattered to them or how much I was worth, or even the potential which I had.   I often wish I had come to this knowledge a lot sooner in life.  Had I done so, who knows what I could have achieved.  I would certainly have had a very different life.  But, I am also a believer in "a purpose" to all things and so I think this is the life I was meant to live and I am grateful for all my journey because it's the bumps and lumps which have helped to make me, "me".   And . . .  I like me.

 photo cindyandIGimlimanitoba.jpg
(my sister and I circa 1960.  She would be 3 and I, 6)

My sister and I were talking yesterday and we realized that we both like telling people how to do things.   We should have been teachers   It's not because we are know it alls.  It comes from that place in us, that desire . . .  to want to help others.  If we know a better way of doing something, we can't help sharing it!  It is not meant as a criticism, although I am sure that there are times when it may come across as such.   Our motives are pure however.   Knowing that is the case often doesn't help however.  Just ask Todd when I am telling advising him how to drive.  I know he just wants to stop the car many times and invite me to sit in the driver's seat.  Thankfully he is a very patient man!

 photo 9edc42d89ab01f631d4a79eca48b3b08_zps5adb7576.jpg

I love to sing although I am surely not the best singer.   I sing when I am in the shower and I think nobody is listening.   I sing when I am alone in the house.   I like to sing if I am alone in a cathedral or theatre because I think it sounds awesome. I would love to sing in a choir, but I don't think I am good enough.   My father used to like me to sing the Carpenter's songs to him when I was a teenager.   I think he thought I was a good singer, and I probably was back then.   I had my children convinced once that I was really Kathy Mattea the country singer, but had stopped because I wanted to take care of them instead of have a career.  So I guess I must have been a good singer when I was younger.   I don't think a person's voice ages well however.  Or at least mine hasn't.

 photo c0a8b8584316563760d500a8a72cb57e_zpsb27f083e.jpg

I love dancing.  I have always loved dancing.   I can remember trying to teach myself how to tap dance when I was a girl.  My mother had a book which was a dance instruction book.  I spent hours memorizing the steps or what I thought were the steps.   Toe-heel-tap.   Toe-heel-tap.  I would have loved to take ballet or tap dancing lessons, but my parents never had the money.  I did take ball room dancing as an adult and I tried to learn how to do line dancing via video lessons.   Todd and I also tried to learn how to so American Swing via dvd's a few years back, but Todd has two left feet and our lounge has always been a bit too small.  With my osteo now, my real dancing days are pretty much over, but I still like to sway to the music.  ☺

 photo ae65cfee96406d9db1e6f825e4bb687c_zps6c2310cd.jpg

I may come across as being bold and brash, but I am actually very shy in real life.   I am not as bad as I used to be.   I have a lot more confidence now.  I wasn't always shy.   I used to be a bit of a leader until I got to be about 9 or 10 years old.   That's when puberty hit and I started to lose confidence in myself, and then in junior high school, I lost even more.   Being shy and reticent I believe made me a target for bullying and very vulnerable.  It stifled my ability to become the best that I could become.  It prevented me from enjoying my life to it's fullest.   I am not so shy or reticent anymore, although I am still not comfortable in crowds and I still struggle with making my mind known.  Yes, I am that person who, in a restaurant, tells the waiter everything is fine with my meal, although it is not.  I will willingly accept second best, and kick my arse afterwards.  But I am also kind and generous and willing to help anybody.  So I guess I would rather be those things than bold and brash.

 photo Loonette_amp_Molly_zps8fc552c2.jpg

 Bonus thing. I am a child at heart and love watching Children's programming.  I love, LOVE . . .  The Big Comfy Couch, and Rollie Pollie Ollie, and . . .  yes, even Noddy.


 And that's it for this time.  You probably already knew most of those things anyways, especially if you have been reading me for a while. 

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .

 ღϠ₡ღ✻
(¯`✻´¯)
`*.¸.*✻ღϠ₡ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ..


"To thrive in life you need three bones.
A wish bone.
A back bone.
And a Funny bone."
~Reba McIntyre  ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻´´¯`  ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻     


 photo SAM_7399_zps55b46472.jpg

Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Escalloped Rice with Cheese.

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░L░O░V░E⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  

Have a fabulous Thursday!

PS - Mitzie is back to her old self this morning.  Thank goodness.  Thanks for all the happy thoughts and prayers! 

10 comments:

  1. Sorry didn't get in to commentyesterday.. whatever was wrong with Mitsie ? has she eaten something do you think ? anyway glad she seems better. Thank you as always for giving us a peep into your life. I always find it so interesting.
    Sorry that I am still not able to write any comments on the facebook pages...no idea how to get the page back to normal..(One thing I have noticed that is different about the page is that there is a kind of tick on the right hand side of the message anyone has written) I have tried clicking on it but gives no clue as to why I can't comment...Just wish it will like magic return to normal soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning to you Marie. I have had a heat time reading your message this morning and I am sorry your lovely puppy wasn't feeling well. At present I have my son's cat while he attends his Uncle's funeral. It never works too well as my Nimbus doesn't like poor Toby. Toby only wants to be friends and Nimbus is awful too him. However after a few hours of this Toby just goes quietly on his way and does his own thing.

    Enjoy your day. I am off to make steak sandwiches for dinner as it is already hot here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sybil, if you had enough trust in me, I could sign into your FB account on my computer and try to fix it for you. Just a suggestion. Mitzie had definitly eaten something which made her ill. Dodgy chicken. Thankfully she is a lot better today. I cooked her some rice and chicken for breakfast this morning, only a tiny bit, and will give her two more very small meals today. xxoo

    Cats are very territorial Suzan and they never take well to an intruder to "their" domain! Steak sandwiches sounds very tasty! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad M is feeling better:)
    That's a relief..

    Cute things about you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Monique, I was so worried about her yesterday. I am so glad that she is back to normal now. It will be a bath for her tonight methinks however! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Kathy Mattea story. That is pure gold!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always amazes me how much we parallel each other. Even when we were young...Wow!!! Thanks for sharing your "5 things." Always love to read them.
    How is Mitzie-doodle today? Feeling better?
    Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not surprised Valerie, it's a kinship I've felt all along! xxoo

    PS - Mitzie's feeling a lot better now! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my dear Marie; I love learning things about you. Again, there are some things we are so much a like in.
    I love to sing too; but don't feel like I have a good voice. I have three daughters who have lovely voices; so that has helped me enjoy their voices.
    I love to dance and did take lessons as a child. I really love dancing slow with my sweet husband.
    I really loved seeing the pictures of you as a child; they are just so sweet. I have been missing my Mom this morning.
    I was shy too growing up and I didn't come into my own until nursing school. I did well with friends but didn't branch out much.
    Thanks for sharing you; I love you much! Blessings~

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!