Monday 25 March 2013

Small and Wonderful things Six

  photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get."  
~Anne Dillard

Welcome to my weekly small and wonderful things post.  I've decided to start each one from now on with this wonderful quote from Anne Dillard, which helps to remind me daily that our lives and days are filled with small and wonderful things . . . if we will only stoop to pick them up.   I'm a picker upper, and am grateful that I am.

  photo Kinouchisnowdinosaur_zps7767440d.jpg

This is the amazing Snow Dinosaur which some friends from church made with some of the snow that has fallen over this past weekend.   I think it's just wonderful.  It is the perfect example of making lemonade from lemons . . . and it's a reminder to me that as small and beautiful as a snowflake is, if you gather a ton of them together they can become something strong and formidable.  It is the same with us. On our own we may not be able to do much, but when joined together with the Savior and sharing His yolk, there is no limit to what we can do, bear, accomplish, survive, etc.


The Sister Missionaries stopped by last night to share with us an Easter message of hope.    I love it when these two young women visit us in our home.  They always bring such a special spirit with them.   I so very much admire these girls who have left home and family and lives behind, at a time of their lives when most young people are selfishly concerned only with getting their jollies.  These young women and young men have a message to share with us that is probably the most important message that anyone can share with another.  I wish everyone would stop to hear it.   Lives are changed forever in a positive way by their selfless act of serving.



It only lasts a little more than 4 minutes, but do turn off the music player below and listen/watch this video.  It is my gift to you this week.   It is a message of hope.  It is something which touches my heart each and every time I watch it.    It is life changing.   It is amazing.   It is true.  Last night when the Sisters were here, one of them spoke about having been in the eternities with our Heavenly Father and how we all must have been witnesses to this selfless act from the Savior . . . and how we all must have had to stay our hands from interfering and how very painful witnessing this must have been for us . . . it is still painful to watch, but with the pain comes untold joy and gratitude for what He did . . . for us, for all of us.  If he could stand by us . . . unto death . . . alone . . . how can I not stand for, by and with him all the days of my life.  I will be counted.


 photo SAM_5673_zpsa36a85af.jpg

She's small and she's pretty wonderful.  She is a force to be reckoned with.  She is the most patient dog I have ever encountered.   She will literally stare at you for seemingly ages when she wants something.  She doesn't bark, or whine . . . she just stares, willing you to do whatever it is she wants you to do.  Such tenacity is very hard to resist.  I took this picture through the dining room window yesterday which is why it's not the greatest photo ever . . . but it is a good example of her staring power.  I wish I had the power to get people to move and things done with only a stare!



A friend dropped by yesterday afternoon with an Easter Egg for each Todd and myself, and a card.  Her husband decorated them.  One looks like a little hedgehog and the other a turtle.   I will try to take a picture of them later on to show you.   They are so cute and only the size of a normal egg.    I love chocolate Easter eggs, but what I love even more is that this couple thinks so much of us that they would gift us in this way.   More important than the chocolate eggs, is the love and friendship from two lovely people.  Such acts of kindness don't take a lot of effort and may seem very small, but they are HUGE, they really are, and I am grateful for them.


Knowing that I am joined to my honey-bun for time and all eternity.  When you love someone and it is that extra special forever kind of love . . . it is a pretty wonderful thing.  I would have given anything to be able to have this with the father of my children, but it wasn't to be.   I am grateful however that I have it at all.

 photo RoastDinner_zps62229373.jpg

We weren't able to go to church yesterday because of the snow.  I know some people were brave enough to attempt it and were successful, but my 74 year old husband didn't want to take the chance and I was okay with that.   It gave me the opportunity to cook him a roast dinner.   I haven't cooked him a roast dinner on Sunday in forever.  We both enjoyed it very much.

I've probably bored you enough for today.   I would love to hear about some of your small and wonderful things?   I am sure you have lots of them to share!

A thought to carry with you through the day . . .

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to tests a man's character, give him power."
~Abraham Lincoln

 photo SAM_5641_zps97ebf8d7.jpg 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Special Sauced Mushroom Cheese Burgers.  Deeeeelicious!

Hope your Monday is a great beginning to a wonderful week!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!