Monday 22 October 2012

Monday Morning Meanderings . . .

 

We have been watching this series on Sky Atlantic over these past few weeks, called "The British."   In just seven episodes, it races through British history from the Roman invasion to the 1953 Coronation of Queen Elizabeth ll.  It's just fabulous and we have been really enjoying it.  If they had taught history in this way when I was at school, I dare say I would have learned a lot more!  Todd and I are both real history buffs, in fact that was one of the things that first attracted us to each other, our mutual love of history.

The history of this great country I live in is really quite remarkable actually, and completely fascinating, especially when presented in this genre. We have taped all the episodes and were last evening watching the one which took us through the Industrial Revolution.  We have both learned an awful lot in watching this series and I do think we will want to get the DVD of it when it's finished.

I think the progress that mankind has made since the early 1800's beginning with the Industrial Revolution, on up to the present Technological Revolution is so amazing.  Especially when you consider that for the hundreds of years before that very little progress had been made in these areas.  One wonders why???  What is so special about these last few hundred years and the people who have made these amazing discoveries that have totally changed the landscape and world???  Surely this knowledge which they have discovered and explored was always there for the discovery???  Why now???

 

Of course we, being Mormons  as we are. . . think that it is no accident that this amazing progression occurred just as the opening of the Latter Days began . . .  with the discovery of the Book of Mormon and it's subsequent translation by a New England Farm Boy, along with the restoration of Christ's Original Church upon the earth.

I can remember asking my brother way back in the 1970's how it would be possible for the whole world to be able to see the Savior's return at the same time as revealed to us in the scriptures . . . it seemed impossible to me.  But now . . . a mere 40 years later, I can see exactly how this would be possible, when the news has the ability to flash around the world in mere seconds of time, visually, verbally and in the written mode.  It is not inconceivable that we would all have the ability to witness this very special occurrence . . .  and even more amazingly . . .  all at the same time. Totally amazing.  I think my grandparents, who both died in the 1960's would be so amazed at the world we live in today.

Back in the early 1990's someone told me that one day everyone would have a computer in their home.  I remember thinking to myself . . . "Why on earth would anyone want one??  What possible use would having one be??"

Now . . . I could not imagine living without one . . . or without my cell phone.

 

I was remembering yesterday . . . this total amazing experience I had back in the early 1990's at the Toronto Cinesphere at Ontario Place.   The Rolling Stones, at the Max.   I went with a friend of mine and her husband and it was an experience that I am still in awe of today.  It was better than seeing them live.



We were treated to a 90 minute concert of the Rolling Stones on a video screen that was 80 feet wide and 60 feet high.  You could practically count the hairs in Mick Jagger's nose . . . he was that big and that clear to us . . . and the sound was magnificent!  It was better than seeing them live.  You got all of the excitement of seeing them up close and personal . . . with the feeling of it being live . . . and without having to be hundreds and hundreds of feet away from them, or them being so small and the noise of the crowd so loud that it would be impossible to see or hear them properly anyways.  It truly was fabulous.



Apparently they have come out with a new album.  I can still remember their first album.  I would have been all of 10 or 11 years old and the older sister of a friend of mine had purchased it.  I remember marveling at it's cover and thinking that Brian Jones was very cute with his long blonde hair, and singing "Off of my Cloud" with my friends at recess.  Oh, if my ten year old heart could only have known this fabulous experience I would have in about 20 years time . . .

 

Even more amazing would be telling my little child self that I would one day be living in the land of Haley Mills . . .

 

and Enid Blyton . . . or the Beatles.  I doubt I would have ever believed the possibility of such a thing . . . and yet, here I am!

Of course there are still a few dreams I am waiting on . . .


 

Sigh . . .

A provoking thought for the day:

"He has made everything beautiful in it's time.  He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end."
~Ecclesiastes 3:11



There's something very ghoulish going on in The English Kitchen today . . . I wonder what it is???

Happy Monday all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!